Gavin Harrison here!

RollMyCoaster13

Hey Gavin!

Thank you so much for all the time and support you've given to this forum. It's really great to see someone of your calibur giving advice to the fans. It's much appreciated.

I'm wondering what kind of recording equipment you use in your home studio. I'm interested in getting into the production aspect of things, and right now my recording tools are quite poor. In particular, what kind of mixer are you using? Thanks so much. Your drumming is a constant inspiration!

Alex

P.S. You easily have the best sounding drums in the business. Truly amazing!

Inngwar

Ok, i got some questions for Gavin...

First off all , love your drumming. I can't really pick my favorite drummer but if someone was to point a gun to my head i think you would be a way to go...

First question, why doesn't Porcupine Tree visit Serbia?

Second question, which exercise would you recommend for double bass and feet in general?

Third question, what do you think would be the best way to improve my coordination around the kit?

Thanx in advance!!!

figure_02

Silver Member
Hi again Gavin!

I am going to talk about you and Porcupine Tree in school in a couple of days. I have decided to use the song Halo as an example of the great vocals, the "wise" lyrics, and the awesome drumming of Porcupine Tree. Any interessting information about that track that you could tell me? I know the instrumental part is in 17/8. ;)
And, do you know why the band is called Porcupine Tree? I guess it was Stevens idea back then, but did he ever tell you why?

It's so awesome that you take the time to answer these questions!
Cheers!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Inngwar,

First question, why doesn't Porcupine Tree visit Serbia?

I guess because a promoter hasn't invited us there yet.

Second question, which exercise would you recommend for double bass and feet in general?

That's a hard question because I don't really think of myself as a double bass drum player. I usually just do short bursts of 2,3,4 or 5 notes at a time. I try to find spaces in fills to put the 'short bursts' into.

Third question, what do you think would be the best way to improve my coordination around the kit?

It depends what level you are at now. Recently I've been trying to pedal 'off' 16th notes with my left foot on the hi hat - that is just the "e" + "a" of every four 16ths and then improvise around the drums with my other 3 limbs. I'm sure there's some great coordination books out there - "The New Breed" by Gary Chester is very good.

Hi figure_02,

Any interessting information about that track that you could tell me? I know the instrumental part is in 17/8. ;)
And, do you know why the band is called Porcupine Tree?

I remember that the composing process started with that 17/8 idea which I had already worked out a few months beforehand. After that Richard started with the white noise sequencer and we just jammed along. It came together quite quickly.
I've never know where the name Porcupine Tree comes from...and Steve won't tell anyone either.

Cheers
Gavin

12:5

hi gavin,
i can't stop listening to nil recurring particularly what happens now...at 5:17 starts this rhythmic illusion which sounds absolutely amazing so i tried to figure out what is going on there but i'm not quite sure if i'm on the right track...so you play in 7/8 colin plays in 7/8 too and the guitars are 5/8 or 6/8?...can you shed some light on this section please?

another thing which i'm curious about: can you tell me in which pt songs you use polyrhythms?

Last edited:

hauk

Silver Member
12:5,
He explained that a couple pages back, here you go:

It starts with a guitar in 5/8 and then I play in 7/8 with the bass drum & snare drum - on top of that I play a dotted 8th note on the ride cymbal. The bass joins in with a pattern in 7/8 (chords change every 4 bars) and the keys and guitars join in the dotted 8th note. Eventually that dotted 8th becomes an 8th note in 12/8 as we modulate into a different feel. Make sense?

Cheers
Gavin

Johnny

Hey, Gavin, great show at the Meridian last night. You really played well. The whole band seems looser (I mean that in a good way, not that the music isn't tight!) than last time y'all were here. I was happy to see a significantly higher turnout too. I'm really digging the "Drop" CD.

Thanks for coming to Houston and thanks for all you do.

Drizzle

Hi Gavin,

I've been doing the subdivision excercices you do on your Rhythmic Visions DVD.

And I was wondering if you have some kind of trick or method of playing the 'odd' subdivisions. Where do you focus on to know your 'subdivide' correct?

I sometimes find it hard to get 'started' to play some certain subdivisions, especially the 5's ,7's, 11's.
Once I get it it's easy to play them, but before getting there I have to speed up or slow down to subdivide correct and line-up with the click.

The 6's, 9's and 12's I derive from the 3's (triplets), so they're easier to get right.

I , for example with the 5's, count the 'leading' hand strokes 1, 2 and then
make the switch to the other hand.

1 2_ 1 2_ 1 2_ 1
R R R R R R R R
_L L L L L L L L

Greetings,
Dre

Shane G

Gavin,

I too was at the Houston show and I double the comments Johnny said.

Porcupine Tree, and your performances with them, are a huge inspiration to me.

I also picked up a copy of "Drop" and I am enjoying it immensely.

Add PASIC '08 (Austin Tx) to your schedule next year, would ya?

Joe P

Hey Gavin!
I loved your performance at Voodoo Fest! (It reminded me of why you're my favorite drummer!) One quick question: what kind of tom heads did you use on your DVD Rhythmic Horizons (the camouflage set)?

hauk

Silver Member
Gavin,
I was at the Dallas show and it was awesome! Great songs, great performance, great drumming. Also the sound there was really good, I was impressed. The only thing I would have changed is I wish you'd played Hatesong, but I really can't complain. Thanks for the experience. Also, 3 was really good. I'll have to get one of their albums.
If anyone is interested, here's the setlist:

Fear of a Blank Planet
What Happens Now?
The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Nil Recurring
Anesthetize
Dark Matter
Open Car
Blackest Eyes
Half-light
Way Out of Here
Sleep Together
[Encore:]
Trains
Even Less
Halo

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Drizzle,

I sometimes find it hard to get 'started' to play some certain subdivisions, especially the 5's ,7's, 11's.
Once I get it it's easy to play them, but before getting there I have to speed up or slow down to subdivide correct and line-up with the click.

I know what you mean - and I think the more you do them the easier they get. You just know how much to speed up or slow down until they slot into place. I try and sing the odd subdivision to myself (over a straight 4/4 beat) just before I have to play it.

Hi Johnny, Shane G, Joe P and Hauk,
thanks for the kind comments about the Porcupine Tree live show. I enjoyed it too. Hope you make to see us again in the future.

Cheers
Gavin

XboxIsAGodToMe

I'm soo mad I missed you guys in Atlantic City, especially after reading the setlist that was just posted for Dallas. I really wanna see you guys play The Sound of Muzak live! (I have the Arriving Somewhere dvd, but it's just not enough!) I will definitely be there for your next tour around the states, hopefully supporting a new album **HINT HINT**. You are one hell of a drummer! Now if only I could just understand time as well as you!
Best Regards!,
Josh

franklinj

Pioneer Member
Hey Gavin, sorry to ask for another one of your licks, but your fills are so good I cant help it! I was wondering if you or anyone else on here could transcribe the fill thats around the 5 min. mark on Fear of a Blank Planet. I love the feel of it, but I cant seem to figure it out.

Clint Hopkins

Hi Gavin,
Just a quick note to express how much my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the PT show in Atlanta, Monday night. You guys sounded phenomenal! Your tasteful playing will never go out of style. I learn volumes every time I see and/or hear you. Thanks for the inspiration to get off my rear and practice. My wife commented several times during and after the show on the beautiful sound of your kit.

I'm currently listening to and loving yours and Ric's disc that I picked up at the show. What a sublime musical experience: nice work.

Clint

Drizzle

Hey Gavin, sorry to ask for another one of your licks, but your fills are so good I cant help it! I was wondering if you or anyone else on here could transcribe the fill thats around the 5 min. mark on Fear of a Blank Planet. I love the feel of it, but I cant seem to figure it out

Hi Franklin,
Someone asked the same question on the HOD-forum, he explains it there.

Here's the link House Of Drumming Forum

Cheers,
Dre

franklinj

Pioneer Member
Thanks man! THats perfect actually!

Hey Gavin, sorry to ask for another one of your licks, but your fills are so good I cant help it! I was wondering if you or anyone else on here could transcribe the fill thats around the 5 min. mark on Fear of a Blank Planet. I love the feel of it, but I cant seem to figure it out

Hi Franklin,
Someone asked the same question on the HOD-forum, he explains it there.

Here's the link House Of Drumming Forum

Cheers,
Dre

goo-goo

hi gavin, had a wonderful time at the PT show at houston. you pretty much rocked all night and I hope I can meet you again.

I wanted to ask you, do you have a high resolution of your kit (driver's seat) you could share? would love to have it as a wallpaper in my PC.

Thanks Gavin. And I'm loving Drop. It reminds me of Jakko Jackzik's latest album...a cross between that and King Crimson with Trey Gunn. Thanks for autograph as well!!

Keep up rockin'!