Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi davling

what program do you use when programming click?

I use Logic Pro on a Mac computer.

Hi angelo,

Have you tried to use a 10"or other china or crash with jingles?. What do you think about?
This is another experiment i like the sound with double bass and 10" china with jingles.
I like a china sound and i have: 10", 12",14" and 20" china.
Have you a 8 "hi hat? You describe to me as you have obtained it

I've never tried a 10" china with jingles. I have used two 8" splash cymbals as hi hats - and they're good fun to play.

Hi Gibbersticks,

I'm guessing your show is too big a production to do the whole 5 guys in a van thing.

Yes you are correct. We're more like 11 guys in a big expensive tour bus and trailer.

Hi lorneyc

I'm wondering about that crazy fill in Anethsetize at about 6:13. I suspect it's something fairly simple, but it sounds amazing, what is it? Also the heavy double kicks part at 11:04, what's the pattern there? It doesn't sound like constant 16ths or 32nds or whatever.

That fill in Anethetize is this - it's basically groupings of 5..

Anesthetize2.jpg

The middle section is this...it repeats every three beats but you play it over 4/4

Mosh section.jpg

Cheers
Gavin

lorneyc

Cheers Gavin, thanks for being so friendly to us all and putting up with endless questions. This is exactly why the internet is such a great thing! Can't wait to see you guys when you finally come to Australia. Also, I just got a copy of Rhythmic Illusions at the Australian Drummers Weekend last Sunday, it's brilliant. If I can every apply the concepts in there as musically as you do though, I'll be a very happy man. Cheers :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Angelo

I used a closed hi hat "Dixon" for two 8" splash as hi hat. But i have a big problem, becouse the bell of splash is small and the cluch it blinks on the bolt, to block the bottom splash.
I think I understand your problem - you need to put extra felts underneath the bottom hi hat cymbal - then the clutch won't hit the plastic sleeve.

Cheers
Gavin

rockitman

Hi Gavin, proud fan fo some of your stuff, not to terribly familiar aside from what I've seen here at Drummerworld and the lunatic ravings of some of my friends. I don't listen to much music aside from what I am working on.
Nonetheless, you've done a tremendous job raising the bar for us in the field. . .Thanks, pal.

One question I have is would you be able to advise one on a portable metronomic device that has the memory to program in detail comparable to the software you've mentioned in your Sound on Sound article. I am looking for something I can carry in a back pack, program numerous (30-40) individual tracks with various time changes.

By the way the protion of the article regarding 16th note click for the Monkees tune was
fun. . .Thanks for sharing.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi rockitman,

I have used a Boss DR 660 drum machine for many years. You can program all the clicks want. It's not as easy as doing it on a computer but it is possible. You can name the songs and recall them as you wish. Unfortunately the memory gets a bit slim after a while and there's no back light - but a very reliable box. The more up to date DR770 looks like a newer version of it - but I haven't tried it.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

rutherythm

Hi Gavin! Iy;s so cool, you taught my drum teacher, and he's teaching me! I love your videos and you are a great all-round drummer.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Fabio

Can i ask when will he come in italy??
Also for a clinc :)
There's a good chance that PT will play Italy in November - check for dates at porcupinetree.com when they are confirmed.

I made 12 clinics in Italy at the start of this year - so I don't think I'll be doing any more for some time.

Cheers
Gavin

Fabio

Oook master :) thanx for WONDERFUL answer!!
Yes i know of your clinics in Italy :( :( :( :( :( :( :( that nearer was in Rieti.. i remember :( :( :( :(
But i could not be there.. :( :( i was really sorry..
But you have given me a very beautiful news!!!!!
Yes i keep up-to-date with the site!! suuuureee!!!!!
I don't believe my ears!! :):):):):):):):):):):)
Good work Master!!
BesT WisHes!! :p

angelo

Hi Gavin

I think I understand your problem - you need to put extra felts underneath the bottom hi hat cymbal - then the clutch won't hit the plastic sleeve.
I have a "Dixon" remote hi hat, this, don't have a plastic sleeve. Can you say which model hi-hat remote you used?
thanks of your time and thanks a lot.

Angelo

SantiBanks

Hi Gavin,

I read somewhere that you usually play single strokes while double bassing. Though, for Mother and Child devided, it sounds like you are using double strokes with only the right (as the left is used for the hihat?). Is this true?

Also, at the heavier bit on the end of Way out of here, I hear a lot going on in the drums. Some stuff on the toms, hihat, bassdrum, snare and lots of cymbals. Are the cymbals overdubs as I can hear more then 4 sounds at once?

Please come back to the netherlands at the end of the year if possible ! Looking forward to see you guys again (and hope to be frontrow this time...) and it seems that the dutch shows are always sold out...

(I think prog really lives here in Holland as bands like Marillion are also always sold out)

flugadaflum

Hey!

I recently got into PT when I first heard FOABP a couple months ago. I was blown away by both the music and your intelligently tasteful and technical drumming (that combination is hard to find)! You guys are really intelligent musicians who know how to use advanced musical concepts to great MUSICAL EFFECT.

My question is what is the name of the fusion tune you played at Musikmesse Frankfurt that is on this website (it's the 3rd one and full of all those mean horn unisons). That is a sick tune- where can I find it?

And a selfish request- please please please continue to play all of FOABP on the second US leg you guys are going to be doing- I'm gunna road trip to catch you guys in New York. I'm definitely going to start digging deep into the PT catalogue but I am afraid I don't have too much time to digest more of PT material before the show ;).

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the fans and drum community! It's very admirable.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi angelo,

I have a "Dixon" remote hi hat, this, don't have a plastic sleeve. Can you say which model hi-hat remote you used?

I don't use a remote hi hat - I just put the 8" splash cymbals on to a regular Sonor hi hat stand. I'm not familiar with the Dixon remote hi hat so I can't really help you with it.

Hi SantiBanks,

I read somewhere that you usually play single strokes while double bassing. Though, for Mother and Child devided, it sounds like you are using double strokes with only the right (as the left is used for the hihat?). Is this true?

Both feet are on the double pedal throughout the whole song - I close the hi hat tight with the Cobra Clutch. Yes, I played all the triplet (leading on to the one of the next bar) bass drum parts RLRL.

Also, at the heavier bit on the end of Way out of here, I hear a lot going on in the drums. Some stuff on the toms, hihat, bassdrum, snare and lots of cymbals. Are the cymbals overdubs as I can hear more then 4 sounds at once?

There are no overdubs at all - so there can't be a moment where there's more than four sound simultaneously. Where exactly do you hear it?

Hi flugadaflum,

My question is what is the name of the fusion tune you played at Musikmesse Frankfurt that is on this website (it's the 3rd one and full of all those mean horn unisons). That is a sick tune- where can I find it?

That tune is called "Quite Firm" by Laurence Cottle (who also plays the bass on that track). You can find it on my first DVD "Rhythmic Visions"

cheers
Gavin

glen thomas

Hi Gavin. How are things? ;-) I haven't been here in a while but I am glad to see that you're still posting and answering questions for all of us. That is very very cool and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate that "very much" along with your dedication to drumming and music in general. I wish more drummers would get involved like you do. Thanks for the article on click tracks by the way. :)

Just a few quick questions :) Forgive me if they've been asked before.

First, are you still using Axis pedals and if so, did you find them hard to dial in
to your liking, and..... do you find them durable?

Second, are there any plans for a drum transcription book of your work with Porcupine
Tree similar to the Wheeler books for Rush?

Third.. Do you give lessons via the internet? :) *wink wink*

Oh by the way, I'm still playing the heck out of the latest PT album
and the live DVD.

All the best Gavin!!!

glen thomas

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi glen thomas,

First, are you still using Axis pedals and if so, did you find them hard to dial in
to your liking, and..... do you find them durable?

I found them easy to dial in the kind of action I wanted. They are very durable...it's just me that's not very durable. The only trouble I've had is snapping the stem of the (Pearl) beater. It happened on the last tour - so I had to switch to playing the right foot on the left pedal whilst my tech changed the beater. I guess that's me putting too much force into the hits.

Second, are there any plans for a drum transcription book of your work with Porcupine
Tree similar to the Wheeler books for Rush?

Not at the moment - although I am collecting little transcriptions from here and there - and hoping to put them up on a site soon.

Third.. Do you give lessons via the internet? :) *wink wink*

No. Sorry

Cheers
Gavin

aydee

Platinum Member
Gavin[/QUOTE]

Hi Gavin, I stumbled upon the youtube musicmesse videos, and like many others on this forum, I too have been completely blown away by your magically creative and effortless playing. Was curious to know who were your strongest music/drum influences that helped create your sound and playing style.

Apologise, if youve covered this elsewhere...I couldnt find it.

thanks.

Aydee

SantiBanks

Both feet are on the double pedal throughout the whole song - I close the hi hat tight with the Cobra Clutch. Yes, I played all the triplet (leading on to the one of the next bar) bass drum parts RLRL.
Ahh so thats what the cobra clutch does ! I checked it out at the tama website and it seems like a very handy piece of gear. It does explain a lot more now.
Awesome song and it certainly rocks live ! I almost thought you guys wouldn't play it in Amsterdam (as there where some other instrumentals in there too like dot3)

There are no overdubs at all - so there can't be a moment where there's more than four sound simultaneously. Where exactly do you hear it?
Its after the heavy bits on the end. Around 6:28 and further. Truly a piece of art and awesome genious stuff anyways...

erictak

Here's a bit of my past coming back to haunt me.

Along with many great live recordings of Gary Husband - there is the whole of my last gig with Level 42 at the Brighton Dome in 1994 lower down the page...

Enjoy - I'm sure it will get taken down soon.

cheers
Gavin

thanks for that Gavin - and nice to hear all that stuff.

One Question though - there was a show the day after as well at the London RAH - were you repleaced for that one? or did it never go on (the "official" L42 site also mentions this gig and it seems kinda hard to believe you were replaced on that VERY last gig)

cheers & keep up the good work!
Eric

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi adyee,

Was curious to know who were your strongest music/drum influences that helped create your sound and playing style.

I think I have mentioned it before - but I understand the problem of looking back over 40 pages. (I hope to have a solution to this soon).

When I was growing up I listened to Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro mostly - but also Stewart Copeland, Billy Cobham, John Guerin, Steve Schaeffer, Steve Jansen, Vinnie Colaiuta and many others I can't think of at the moment.

Hi SantiBanks,

Its after the heavy bits on the end. Around 6:28 and further (of "Way Out Of Here").

There's no overdubs there either - it's all one part. It's a bit of an octopus drum pattern - glad you liked it.

Hi erictak,

One Question though - there was a show the day after as well at the London RAH - were you repleaced for that one?

well spotted - yes it was my penultimate show with Level 42 - I did play at the Albert Hall the next and that was the last show I did.

cheers
Gavin