Gavin Harrison here!

Sam Sanders

Hey Gavin,

I'm currently a student, and up until now I have wanted to do session work as my primary source of income when I finish my diplomas etc, but have started to think about doing clinics. I'd love to do either, but what would your advice be? And which do you think is more beneficial financially, and generally for me as a drummer?

Cheers

Sam :)

gibeachhead

Gavin,

You still use the Crash of Doom at all? (recordings or on stage) I'm curious what your thoughts on it are. Was yours an 18" or 20"? I'd really like to get it in 18" but it doesn't look like they make it in 18" anymore. :(

I've been planning to get a new crash for my kit and I love the sound of the crash of doom; it's between the Crash of Doom or a A Custom Projection crash.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

euphoric_anomaly

Amazing show last night Gav. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posing for a photo and signing my drumstick - it's now priceless!

Also, there was a song and I think it was called 'Scar' that you said was being played for the first time. I personally thought that was one of the better songs! Should be kept in there!

Scar is on their album 'Circles' from 2009. By "first time" I would presume it was the 1st time they have played that, or any other songs in their set "live".

dr_flam

Hi Gavin,

Hope you are well! I have a short question about tuning.
In Rhytmic designs dvd you say that:

"Strangely enough the interval between the first four toms (8, 10, 12, 14) always come out the same".

What do you exactly mean? Can't you have the 16" tom-tom sound matching the others?

Mirco.

Dustondrums

At your clinic in Moscow you said about the lick - three strokes with your left hand and five strokes with the right hand (if i'm right, you've learned it from Billy Cobham). Could you describe your version of this lick one more time (maybe with transcription)?
Thank you!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi keep it simple

Just got back from your Cardiff gig. Great show! Not really knowing the band's stuff, I came with an open mind. Quietly thinking it was going to be a drums weighted show, but I was wrong. This is a band that's got substance behind the talent, & a cohesive punch that's infectious. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts, & that's always a sign of something worth keeping. IMO, more appealing live than my first impression of the recorded material. A touch of added grit always helps bite through the complexity.

thanks - glad you enjoyed it. We had a blast that night.

tompain100

Amazing show last night Gav. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posing for a photo and signing my drumstick - it's now priceless! Also, there was a song and I think it was called 'Scar' that you said was being played for the first time. I personally thought that was one of the better songs! Should be kept in there!

Great - thanks. Yes it was the first time on the tour that we played "Scar".

Hi adrummer10

Here comes another question regarding double bass drum pedals. Just curious if you had any issues with heel parts of pedals (mostly with Axis and Tama's)?

I haven't had problems with either pedal's heel parts. The only problem I've had is that my feet won't always do exactly what I want them to!!

Hi Sam Sanders

I'm currently a student, and up until now I have wanted to do session work as my primary source of income when I finish my diplomas etc, but have started to think about doing clinics. I'd love to do either, but what would your advice be? And which do you think is more beneficial financially, and generally for me as a drummer?

both of the things you have mentioned tend to happen (if at all) when you have become an established player with a reputation and a few well known names on your CV. It took many years before anyone would take a risk on me playing on a recording session - and even longer before someone invited me to make a drum clinic. Same thing with endorsements. So just get out there and play with anyone who'll have you - even for little or no money (that's what I did).

Hi gibeachhead

You still use the Crash of Doom at all? (recordings or on stage) I'm curious what your thoughts on it are. Was yours an 18" or 20"? I'd really like to get it in 18" but it doesn't look like they make it in 18" anymore. :(

I do have a couple of them. An 18" (which sadly I broke) that was an amazing crash...and a 22" (which is a prototype) - and makes the most beautiful low volume ride cymbal. They really have an interesting dark tone to them.

Hi dr_flam

In Rhytmic designs dvd you say that: "Strangely enough the interval between the first four toms (8, 10, 12, 14) always come out the same".

yes they nearly always settle on these intervals.

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 4th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

So tom 5 seems to be G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

Hi Dustondrums

What snare wires you use on your 12" x 5" snare? Is it 8 strands as on your 14" snares?

Yes usually it's 8 strands. I find I get more of the sound of the drum and less of the snare 'fizz'. I've usually got a mic pointing at the bottom of the snare drum - so if I feel I need to hear more fizz - I can turn it up in the mix.

Hi Dustondrums

At your clinic in Moscow you said about the lick - three strokes with your left hand and five strokes with the right hand (if i'm right, you've learned it from Billy Cobham). Could you describe your version of this lick one more time (maybe with transcription)?

I can't write you a transcription at the moment but a guy called "Drum Ace" did analyse that pattern on the second part of his blog (about the solo it I did on the Dave Letterman Show last year) http://www.drumstheword.com/blog/gavin-harrison-letterman-drum-solo-breakdown-drum-lick-200

The Billy Cobham version had three notes in the left hand and four in the right hand. I just extended it a little bit to have 5 notes in the right hand. There's a clip of myself and Simon Phillips doing the Billy Cobham version (3:4) here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus

If you haven't seen it before there are all four parts to the 20 minute duet we performed together for the "Guitar Center - Drum Off" last year in LA. I personally think it's one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure to be involved with. Simon was nothing short of brilliant of course. A really great thrill for me to play with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf39uh1Mdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yx41LSmXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1Arl7Z2Ls

Cheers
Gavin

Rítmico

Hi Gavin,

I'm from Brazil and some months ago I wrote to you asking your opinion about two drum brands, DW or Sonor. I choose the Sonor SQ2, according to the seller the drums will be ready in august. The sizes are the same of yours: 8", 10", 12", 15", 16" and 22". I'm counting the days (hours, minutes)...
But can you help me on toms and floor tom microphone choice? My room is small (9,8 by 9,8 feet). I'm not sure if I take the electrovoice N/D 468 (supercardioid) or the Sennheiser MD 421 (cardioid). Who is the difference on toms and floor tom sound between these two mics?

The electro-voice is a half of price. If the difference in sound is small I prefer the electro-voice.

Well, I don't know all the logistic for you visit my country and play here, but if the drum set is the bigger problem I believe that you can use my drum set if you like. Will be a honor. I live in São Paulo.

Thank you Gavin, hope to see you here in Brazil.

Hi Gavin,
I'm rather new to recording drums and was just wondering about how or if you gate your snare when you record to eliminate bleed?
I'm having trouble with it because i loose all my ghost notes when i use it but get alot of bleed when i don't and you get such a great snare sound and a ll your ghosts are so clear, granted i don't have amazing recording conditions but they're OK anyway any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Thanks so much
Ben

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Rítmico

I'm from Brazil and some months ago I wrote to you asking your opinion about two drum brands, DW or Sonor. I choose the Sonor SQ2, according to the seller the drums will be ready in august. The sizes are the same of yours: 8", 10", 12", 15", 16" and 22". I'm counting the days (hours, minutes)...

great - you're going to be a happy man.

But can you help me on toms and floor tom microphone choice? My room is small (9,8 by 9,8 feet). I'm not sure if I take the electrovoice N/D 468 (supercardioid) or the Sennheiser MD 421 (cardioid). Who is the difference on toms and floor tom sound between these two mics? The electro-voice is a half of price. If the difference in sound is small I prefer the electro-voice.

I have both - and this is what I can say about them. The Sennheiser 421 sounded better on the lower drums (it has a bass roll off at the end of the mic) but you should keep it on in the "M" position. On the 8" and 10" there was almost no difference at all. The Sennheiser is a bit more difficult to position as it's a really big mic.

Himalmondrummer

I'm rather new to recording drums and was just wondering about how or if you gate your snare when you record to eliminate bleed?

I have never gated a snare drum ever. Of course you can hear all the drums in all of the mics when you listen to them individually. That's the sound of the drumset. If you put your ear close to a floor tom whilst someone is hitting a snare drum you will still hear the snare drum and you will also hear the tom ringing too. That bothers some sound engineers and they like to gate the floor toms. Sometimes in a live situation it's necessary to gate the floor toms because they can ring too much through the PA and even start to feedback.

cheers
Gavin

Sam Sanders

Hey Gavin,

When George (Fredericks) has his 20th anniversary academy next year, do you think you could be a special guest? Even just for like one evening? that'd be reaaaally awesome :D (btw he hasn't asked me to do this, I just think you're really awesome :)

Cheers

Sam

Dustondrums

Gavin, maybe it's a silly question, but what helps you to stay relaxed playing the drums? And if you feel some intensity while you play (in the middle of the song or before the difficult part for example), what helps you to get rid of it?

dr_flam

Hi Gavin!

You were perfectly right! I made a few tests, in fact to have a good sounding 16" floor tom the interval with the 14" must be somehow higher than a fourth...... If I tune to a fourth it sounds like to close to the 14. I am wondering why...... I will go back to physics.... Maybe the answer is there! :)

all the best!

Mirco.

Hi dr_flam

In Rhytmic designs dvd you say that: "Strangely enough the interval between the first four toms (8, 10, 12, 14) always come out the same".

yes they nearly always settle on these intervals.

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 4th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

So tom 5 seems to be G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

machine_head

Hi Gavin
About double bass drumming technique. I wanted to ask you though how do you aproach doubling-substitutions, specifically about preferences on leading and landing with different feet. For example if Im playing groups of three RLL using my right foot instead of left hand RFF, and I double them, I have two posibilites: starting the burst of four in the downbeat of 2, or starting in the upbeat of 1, anticipating the second downstroke. The two posibilites would look like this:

1) R - F f F f (downbeats=F/ upbeats=f) and
2) R f F f F - .

Now if you know what I mean so far, I have a conflict deciding wether to start the second option with the left pedal, thus maintaining always downbeat on the right foot, or starting it with the right foot, thus changing the downbeat to the left foot.
Now I know you never start with left.. does that mean you preffer to land the downbeats on different feet than to lead with different feet?
Sorry about the long question, but I would be really happy to read you thoughts about this! Or from any other drummers in this forum!

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hey Gavin, are the earmuffs you're using during the 05Ric rehearsals video (the ones with the red line) just some standard Peltors? Are they any good to wear over the headphones/get a decent feel for the music with them on?

Fox.

Rítmico

Did you keep the same configuration of the old SQ2 black/white (shell thickness, sizes and bearing edges)?

Thank you,

Marcos