Gavin Harrison here!

NerfLad

Silver Member
Gavin,

If you could play anything anywhere -- lead your own band, back up an artist, anything besides Porcupine Tree, what would you do? I'm sure you've been asked this before, but have your feelings changed or are you even sure? Would you play in your favorite idiom/genre? Do you have a favorite idiom?

Best wishes,

Nerflad

Bonzo92

Hello Gavin,
Francesco from Rome here...
I was listening to Cheating The Polygraph, from Anesthetize live... well that's awesome!
Anyway, I wanted to be sure if the time signature I figured out was correct, so:
7/16 for the verses (or 7/8, if you consider the snare accent off beat in the same measure);
5/8 for chorus and instrumentals (with a cool rythmic illusion in the last part, playing 1/4 accents on HH).
Also i noticed the final groove (when you hit the left snare rim) is quite identical to Slippin' away's intro.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on these things, it would be really great to have a confirm from YOU!
Thank you for your kindness =)

swissdrummer

Hi Gavin

( first: Sorry for my bad english)

I Have a Question about Timekeeping.I want to to know what you are thinking about all these years of experience in the industry.
My problem is, that when ever we have problem with the tempo in the band, the drummer is always the one who "made the mistake".Last time the guitarplayer sad: " its your job to keep the time.
But i think , that i(as a drummer) of course need a very good time, but while i am playing i am listening to the rest of the band. So i Think the time-feeling of the band is as good as all players together.Sometimes i think other players think we are there metronom and the can sit on us....and do and play whatever they want....... like... Time problem= Rhytme problems= Drummer ....

Have you ever made same experience with other players?....

I remember that thomas lang said at clinic:" what ever we do... its always the drummer .)

Thank for you time

Michel

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Wow - 1 million views on a single thread - must be a record worldwide.....thanks to Gavin!!!

Bernhard

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Wow - 1 million views on a single thread - must be a record worldwide.....thanks to Gavin!!!

Bernhard
Yes, a milestone indeed! I'm consistently impressed with Gavin's patronage of this forum. For such a busy & revered guy to take such time out, says much about the man.

Just in case he doesn't look in here before Tuesday, I'll be at his Cardiff gig, & if I get the chance, I'll inform him of this impressive total :)

Bernhard - the gig's on the coast ;)

Volentry

Hey there Gavin, care to share your pedal settings such as the spring tension, beater angle/distance and footboard angle? Been trying to get loud, powerful strokes out of the kick drum, are there any minor things such as seat height, position of the foot on the pedal, etc. that helped you with playing your kit?

Regards,
Zach.

cboggs

Gavin,

Any chance we are going to see you tour in the US?????

Thank you for the great music you've shared with us all !!

Curtis

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hey there Gavin, care to share your pedal settings such as the spring tension, beater angle/distance and footboard angle? Been trying to get loud, powerful strokes out of the kick drum, are there any minor things such as seat height, position of the foot on the pedal, etc. that helped you with playing your kit?

Regards,
Zach.
Hey there, I guess he already shared his settings somewhere. Search the thread or check out askgavinharrison.com :) (beatiful site)

A good method to get the bassdrum louder, is to turn the rest down.. :)

richkenyon

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the GH / 05Ric Band show in Manchester last night! It was amazing to see you pull off that music live - no mean feat. I thought you played superbly & I think you really enjoyed the challenge...

Mix - just wanted to let you know that people I spoke to all thought the vocals needed to come up in the mix. I don't know if you're using your own engineer, but I hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

Your kit sounded beautiful as ever... what Ride were you using?

I hope people get out & see this tour in the next few days because the music is truly progressive & it literally expands your mind & conciousness listening to music like this.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the GH / 05Ric Band show in Manchester last night! It was amazing to see you pull off that music live - no mean feat. I thought you played superbly & I think you really enjoyed the challenge...

Mix - just wanted to let you know that people I spoke to all thought the vocals needed to come up in the mix. I don't know if you're using your own engineer, but I hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

I hope people get out & see this tour in the next few days because the music is truly progressive & it literally expands your mind & conciousness listening to music like this.
Great to hear! I'm going to the Cardiff gig tomorrow night, & I'm taking the whole family :) I hope the vocal levels are up, because part of the magic is how the vocals flow over the bar. Am I the only one who thinks the singer sounds like Bowie?

richkenyon

Silver Member
Great to hear! I'm going to the Cardiff gig tomorrow night, & I'm taking the whole family :) I hope the vocal levels are up, because part of the magic is how the vocals flow over the bar. Am I the only one who thinks the singer sounds like Bowie?
Yes - later Bowie for sure & he reminded me of Jeff Buckley at times last night, when things got super-intense. Beautiful.

euphoric_anomaly

Gavin,

When your drumkit is being set up for a live performance do you get the chance to jump in there and adjust heights/distances of cymbal stands and the drums themselves? Also, about how long (on average) does it take for everything to be ready to go, drums/mics/sound tests?

Thanks
Eric

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi NerfLad

If you could play anything anywhere -- lead your own band, back up an artist, anything besides Porcupine Tree, what would you do? I'm sure you've been asked this before, but have your feelings changed or are you even sure? Would you play in your favorite idiom/genre? Do you have a favorite idiom?

This week I've been touring with 05Ric playing the incredibly hard material we wrote over the last 5 years. It's been a real enjoyable challenge. Some crazy drum patterns that I thought I'd never play live on stage with any band. I don't really have a favourite genre, I just like it when it grooves and has nice dynamic shapes.

Hi Bonzo92

I was listening to Cheating The Polygraph, from Anesthetize live... well that's awesome!
Anyway, I wanted to be sure if the time signature I figured out was correct, so:
7/16 for the verses (or 7/8, if you consider the snare accent off beat in the same measure); 5/8 for chorus and instrumentals (with a cool rythmic illusion in the last part, playing 1/4 accents on HH). Also i noticed the final groove (when you hit the left snare rim) is quite identical to Slippin' away's intro.

Yes you have it correct !!!

Hi swissdrummer

My problem is, that when ever we have problem with the tempo in the band, the drummer is always the one who "made the mistake".Last time the guitarplayer sad: " its your job to keep the time.
But i think , that i(as a drummer) of course need a very good time, but while i am playing i am listening to the rest of the band. So i Think the time-feeling of the band is as good as all players together.Sometimes i think other players think we are there metronom and the can sit on us....and do and play whatever they want....... like... Time problem= Rhytme problems= Drummer ....

I understand your problem and have been there many times. Sometimes you have to fight the players who are rushing or dragging - and if they drive you nuts then you have to play to a metronome and don't listen to them. The better musicians that I have played with tend to to play more in time and you don't have to battle with them to make the tempo feel good.

Hi Volentry

I have been asked this a few times and all I can say is that the spring is pretty much medium to loose. The beaters are about 45 degrees - but the seat height and how far away from the pedals you are - is very personal thing. Mainly to do with how tall you are and how long your legs are.

Hi cboggs

Any chance we are going to see you tour in the US?????

Myself and 05Ric would love to bring the band to the States (and everywhere else too) but a lot of it comes down to logistics and budgets. If we can - we will - but there's no plans right at this moment.

Hi richkenyon

Thanks - really glad you enjoyed.

It's one of the new K Custom Dark Complex Rides 20" - and I'm really happy with it.

Hi totopaul

do you usually hit the snare with a rim shot or just "normal" ?

pretty much every back beat is a rimshot. I prefer the attack to that sound.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

When your drumkit is being set up for a live performance do you get the chance to jump in there and adjust heights/distances of cymbal stands and the drums themselves? Also, about how long (on average) does it take for everything to be ready to go, drums/mics/sound tests?

Of course I can adjust anything I want - but my tech Jason sets it up pretty much 99% identical every night so I don't feel the need. I think Jason can build the kit up in about 20 minutes and then the sound man will mic all the drums (which takes about another 15 minutes).

Cheers
Gavin

...and by the way - thanks for the million views folks!!!!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Just got back from your Cardiff gig Gavin, & I brought two of the four girls in the audience ;) ;) ;) BTW, both girls love odd sig's :)

Great show! Not really knowing the band's stuff, I came with an open mind. Quietly thinking it was going to be a drums weighted show, but I was wrong. This is a band that's got substance behind the talent, & a cohesive punch that's infectious. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts, & that's always a sign of something worth keeping. IMO, more appealing live than my first impression of the recorded material. A touch of added grit always helps bite through the complexity.

Anyhow, two sound gripes. Vocals way too low, toms very attack biased.

We all had fun Gavin, & the youngest girl (19), wants to see you guys again :)

Attachments

alinux

Regards,
Zach.
Hi Zach!

Please check http://askgavinharrison.com/ before asking.
It's some kind of Most-Asked Questions Database ;)

Cheers,

Vladimer

alinux

Hello Michel! ;)

There are a lot of general and useful infos:

http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/49669-gavin-harrison-eine-email-mit-ein-paar-fragen.html

Cheers,
Vladimer

Hi Gavin

( first: Sorry for my bad english)

I Have a Question about Timekeeping.I want to to know what you are thinking about all these years of experience in the industry.

Have you ever made same experience with other players?....

I remember that thomas lang said at clinic:" what ever we do... its always the drummer .)

Thank for you time

Michel

tompain100

Amazing show last night Gav. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for posing for a photo and signing my drumstick - it's now priceless!

Also, there was a song and I think it was called 'Scar' that you said was being played for the first time. I personally thought that was one of the better songs! Should be kept in there!

adrummer10

Hi Gavin!
Here comes another question regarding double bass drum pedals. Just curious if you had any issues with heel parts of pedals (mostly with Axis and Tama's)? There are some rumours, that heel block issues occurs quite often on Axis pedals. Derek Roddy said, it's caused by inappropriete technique as well as by insufficien care. However, from my personal experience I've played on firmly used Speed Cobras which have had looseness in heel part as well. Even though looseness didn't occur in Axis pedals (rather clicking), would you tell us how do (did) you deal with these problems? Is there some solution?