Gavin Harrison here!

Heck99

Greetings-

I had a few questions regarding your cymbal selection, the answers to which I could not find elsewhere in your thread. The Zildjian Z3 series came out not too long ago in place of the old Z Custom line. I've had a Z Custom 18" China for years, and it unfortunately has succumbed to it's old age and developed a crack. I was curious as to if you had an opinion on the new 18" Z3 version. If you've played it, how does it compare to the Z Custom?

Lastly, I recently started listening to Steven Wilson's Insurgentes solo album. The first track Harmony Korine features you on drums. Your crash and ride sounds are superb. I realize this is a few years removed from current, but do you know what your cymbal setup was for that track? The sounds are of course a combination of mixing, microphone placing, and your individual technique but I was curious nonetheless.

Regards,

John Heckathorn

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Heck99

I was curious as to if you had an opinion on the new 18" Z3 version. If you've played it, how does it compare to the Z Custom?

I'm still using the old Z Custom for the moment. I haven't had chance to really try a new Z3 yet.

The first track Harmony Korine features you on drums. Your crash and ride sounds are superb. I realize this is a few years removed from current, but do you know what your cymbal setup was for that track?

I believe it was my old 1940's Avedis Zildjian 20".

Here are my upcoming drum clinic tours of Italy (in May) and the UK & Ireland (in June)
Hope to see some of you along the way - or if you know drummers in these areas - let them know.

cheers
Gavin

Italy_small.jpg

gav_harrison_homepage.jpg

szokematyi

The first track Harmony Korine features you on drums. Your crash and ride sounds are superb. I realize this is a few years removed from current, but do you know what your cymbal setup was for that track?

I believe it was my old 1940's Avedis Zildjian 20".
Is this the one that cracked during one of the recording sessions last year? Or a few years back? (OSI maybe?) The one you've bought from your former teacher I think? Damn! That was a very nice sounding cymbal, plus being an older modell, It probably had some sentimental value too. :(

A question: Have you ever had the chance to see/use/etc. the Roland RMP-5 Rhythm Coach? I'm thinking of investing in it, the Stroke Balance and Time Check features seems really useful. Of course, I could do most of the exercises without using a... machine, but given the amount of time I have for practice (work hours are a pain in my... certain parts), I could use as much additional help, as I possibly can. Plus it might be fun to compete with myself, beating the scores I'll reach, etc.
Anyways, If you know this product, would you recommend it?

Cheers,
Matthew

richkenyon

Silver Member
If I had a chance to have a lesson with Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Peter Erskine or Chris Coleman I would jump at in a second. I'm always open to the idea that I could learn something (and I'm hoping to at that drum camp). Every time I see someone play I learn something. I don't know what I'll be focusing on - it may depend on the students and the way they may want to steer it. I'm sure it will be a very enriching experience for all of us.
I think between the instructors there will be a vast variety of material at all kinds of levels - the only problem will be digesting it.

cheers
Gavin
Thanks for replying Gavin... I hope my question didn't suggest whether or not I would gain anything from these players in an absolute sense: several of the instructors are among my all-time favourite drummers, & I know I have a thousand things to learn from players of your ability. I was just measuring that against the cost, not only of the course but also of going to USA etc. Anyway, it's done - I'm all signed-up, so I will be one of your students in the summer!! Absolutely thrilled about it & will try to make your Manchester drum clinic show too.

Best......... rich.

janplaysonor

Hello Gavin.

First, greetings from germany.

I love your playing, but i have some question.

What Shell Material are your toms and bassdrum and how thick are they?!

Thanks for reponse :)

I'll be at the clinic in Dublin. Looking forward to that. Any idea what songs you might be playing?

Also, I see on the poster it says 'plus full support'. What does that mean? You're gonna have an act on before you?

See you there!

SonorPlayer

K_HiHats

What's up Gavin? I literally joined just to ask this question. Ever since I finished listening to The Incident, I began to wonder about your hi hats. Long story short, if you can recall each one, I would love to know what you used on these albums:
"In Absentia" (although I found somewhere that you used 12 inch Remix hats?), "Deadwing," "Fear of a Blank Planet" and "Nil Recurring" (should be the same for both right?), plus the song 'Normal' because the hats differ from the rest of Nil Recurring (at least it seems), and "The Incident." Oh! Wait! The 05Ric albums "Drop" and "Circles" too. (I hope that's not too much to ask !?!)
Also, did you use something else for filming in Tilburg because the sound is different from your normal 13 inch K's on tour (which I have and love thanks to your influence) but the lighting makes it look the same as the K's you normally use on tour (In America). Thanks for the reply ahead of time. I'm going nuts over trying to figure these out out on my own! :) SORRY THIS QUESTION IS SO LONG!
Cheers --Peter

Last edited:

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Dear Gavin, I'm glad you're taking the time to answer so many questions! I'm having one myself
again, and it's awesome to have experienced pros like you available to search for answers!
So in the last few months I'm struggling with going two different kinds of musical ways:
I'm always striving to be better in the funk/pop/rock area, and I'm practicing (and playing) jazz
too, the kind of small bop kit jazz.

Now there are days or weeks where I feel I'm "in" the jazz
language, and practicing it and playing in bands works quite well. And there are other times
where I'm kind of at home in the groove section. My problem is, while the one language feels
flowing, I'm struggling with the other one. Mostly it's the jazz I'm struggling with, because the
other kind of playing comes more natural to me.

I even plan to buy a small jazz kit, so I can switch sets in practicing time and therefore "know"
what I have to do and play.

I love both kinds of music (groove-oriented, louder playing versus more open, swinging,
abstract, ride cymbal centered playing), but it's so hard to bring it together, so to speak.
Did or do you have similar experience (maybe even now, while on tour say with Porcupine
Tree, and playing a jazz gig somewhere in the middle)? If so, how did or do you cope with it?

Sometimes I even think about giving up one thing to focus on the other, but it's my goal to
bring them together, and not having to give up on any of it! It's really frustrating and sabotages
my practicing!

Sorry for writing a novel, and thanks again for your time!

K_HiHats

Sometimes I even think about giving up one thing to focus on the other, but it's my goal to
bring them together, and not having to give up on any of it! It's really frustrating and sabotages
my practicing!

Just trying to be a bit of help here...
For the dude who wants to keep it jazzy and rocky, check out his video named "Killer Joe" from Gavin's Guitar Center Sessions. Check out the link, you'll be inspired. When I play jazz now,I play a combination just as much as Gavin does. Just sayin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWI0l4I2RaE

Last edited:

Metronome

Re: Gavin Harrison

Hi folks,
thanks for the kind words about my drumming. It's very encouraging to know people are enjoying it.

best wishes
Gavin
I know I'm 1000 pages late, but I'd put you in the all-time top 5. Yep, I said it. And by top five I mean with Peart, Bonzo, et al.

Calgary Canada would be a great place for a clinic :)

My question: I've played for 13 years, I'm in my late 20's and I don't feel like I've developed enough dexterity in my feet or hands; separating feet from hands, etc. Is there a proven method for accelerating this process? By now I feel like I should be able to play different tempos simultaneously with either limbs.. not the case. Any suggestions?

gabdrums

Hey Gavin!, thanks for the response!!!

one more question here :)

I know there are drummers that only hear the bass, or the guitars in their in-ear mix. What do you listen in your in ear mix? all the band? or some of them? Personaly I like to listen to everybody but I have had some problems where the bass doesn't let me hear anything at all because of the acoustics of the venue, and I'm not comfortable with that, obviously, no in-ear here, yet :)

Cheers!!

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hey Gavin!, thanks for the response!!!

one more question here :)

I know there are drummers that only hear the bass, or the guitars in their in-ear mix. What do you listen in your in ear mix? all the band? or some of them? Personaly I like to listen to everybody but I have had some problems where the bass doesn't let me hear anything at all because of the acoustics of the venue, and I'm not comfortable with that, obviously, no in-ear here, yet :)

Cheers!!
I'm pretty sure he answered this question already! =)
You could also search askgavinharrison.com

All the best and good luck!

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

just a little question:

I'll be in studio soon and the producer wants to clean my cymbals to get more overtones of them... I'm a bit scepitcal to clean my K-Custom Dark Cymbals because everytime I clean them, they seem to become much harder in sound..

Do you clean your cymbals before recording to get more overtones out of them?

Thanks!

szokematyi

Kalma!

If you don't want to clean your cymbals because of the reasons you mentioned, then don't! It's your stuff, your music, your sound! It has to be your decision!

What the producer says should be considered as an advice only! You can think about it, but the decision is yours! In my opinion, the final word should be yours every time. I would never allow anyone to force me to do something I'm not comfortable with, but If what he/she says sounds reasonable/logical/etc, you can change your mind. But "just because" the producer wants you to, because he wants more overtones, my answer would be: sorry, but no!

And regarding your question: I think Gavin wrote once that he never cleans his cymbals.