Gavin Harrison here!

HenryHopkins

hey gavin

this is a tuning question, i love the sound of your snare and was wondering how you get, eg type of snare wires, tuning for top and bottom heads etc

thanks
henry

kenneth

Hi Gavin!

I absolutely love your music!
What is your thoughts about bass drum sizes? What are your opinions about a 24" bass drum versus a 22" (any thoughts about depth as well?)?
It would be great if you could elaborate your thoughts about this "issue".

Thank you.
Kenneth

Trains'

Hey Gavin,

i was curious if you recorded the incident with a click? As if was there also a click a FOABP and the Nil Rec.?
And im intrested in your gen. feeling about click and groove as i heard Ndugu say he feels more free in grooving while rest on the click

All the Best,

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Gus

Do you know about the film 'Lest´s get lost' from the last period of Chet Baker?.
It´s always great to see new material from him, and even in his worst physical shape his musicality is a unique experience.

yes I've had that film on VHS for a very long time - I love it. I recently bought "CHET" on the Keepnews collection. Chet Baker with Bill Evans on piano - what a dream combo!!

ChrisGau

could you let us know what microphone you put in that bottle?

DPA 4061

The only thing that seems a little bit ugly are these Mini-XLR connectors lavalier microphones always seems to have (usually to connect it to remote units). Did you use a converter to connect it to your recording input?

yes it has to have a special power unit to drive it. If you plugged it straight into a desk and sent normal phantom power to the mic - it would blow up.

Hi Fox622003

what's the cymbal over your Z Custom China? Because it doesn't appear on your Wikipedia article. Another prototype "Crash Bell"?, and how is it mounted?, because I can't quite figure it out (looks like the the top of that stand has an extension for that cymbal or something). Is the setup there the one you used for Rhythmic Designs, or is it even *more* current? Because I think you are using your Crash of Doom on Rhythmic Designs, yet it's no longer in the Wiki. Same with a 16" (I think) K or K Custom crash you use both in Rhythmic Designs and Modern Drummer 2008.

Yes it's another custom "crash bell" mounted on a DW extension arm. I'm quite often changing the odd cymbal here and there in my studio and live setup - so it's impossible to keep the wiki page exactly correct at all times.

Hi kenneth

What is your thoughts about bass drum sizes? What are your opinions about a 24" bass drum versus a 22" (any thoughts about depth as well?)?

It's been a long time since I owned a 24" bass drum. I used have a double kick Gretsch kit back in the early 80's with two 24s. They didn't sound good to be honest. I prefer a 22 x 16" or 17". I have played 22x18 but I can't hear the difference from the 22x16 in a mic'd situation. Depending on your setup and the things you're trying to articulate on the drum - a 24" would be harder work than a 22".

Hi Trains'

i was curious if you recorded the incident with a click? As if was there also a click a FOABP and the Nil Rec.?
And im intrested in your gen. feeling about click and groove as i heard Ndugu say he feels more free in grooving while rest on the click

All the PT albums that I played on were to a click...there wasn't even an option to do any of them without a click. We record separately so it would be near impossible to do.I understand what Ndugu means - it takes away the responsibility of holding the tempo - and if you're very used to playing with a click - you can lean on it.

cheers
Gavin

Ramtin HajatDoust

Hi
Mr. Harrison

Thank you for your info regarding EV N/D 468 and Sennheiser MD421, but MD421 is too big for my drumkit with many cymbals and expensive for me. I have used two Audix D6 and one i5 on my bass drum and three Audix i5 on my snare drum. I love D6 for deep and great low end and i5 for great bright natural and attack sound. I do not purchase microphones for my tom toms until now because I do not know which one can give me natural and deep sound. (ND468, opus 88, Beta 98DS, D2, D4 …)
Would you please advise me about this matter?

Thank you.
Ramtin
Tehran - Iran

Hi gavin!
Have you used in past K custom fast crashes?what do you think about it?

Last week i bought a 12x5 sonor delite maple snare.
Some advices for tuning?i wanna play it as a main snare for gigs in little pubs and bar :D

thanks!
Cheers from Italy

steste50

Hi Gavin,

I play 13" K HH and i love its sound but i always suffered a little of its excessive body: you got too much of a low freq going on and, to me, it sounds too much of a motown like hat (p/s i play in a very small room). I recently bought a 13" mastersound HH (the bottom hat has "waves" on the edge) and, surprisingly, putting the bottom hat of the mastersound and the top hat of the K i found that that heavy feel disappeared, making the new combination a fresher sound w/o losing the original character.

Have you ever experimented pairing different HH? Did u find any advantages and/or discover new possibilities?

Thank You very much,
Ste

Last edited:

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hey Gavin, I know you are not very fond of the Voodoo Fest videos, but there's an interesting...thing you do here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzfzMPZDlsQ at about 7:35. Is that from Gadd? Because I remember seeing Gadd or someone teaching how to play it on YouTube years ago, and it sounded very similar to what you're doing. In any case, I think they are groups of five and they are 32nd notes, right? I'm just not sure about the sticking and how you split the hits between the hi hat and snare.
Thanks Gavin!

Fox.

Heitor

Hi Gavin,

I've seen your body of work and noticed how many italian artists have you worked with before... On a Vic Firth interview you also mentioned how you played in a hotel in Switzerland...

Anyway, I was wondering what is your experience of working with people from other countries and do you have any tip and/or advice for someone like me, who might be open about working for people in other countries?

Still hoping for news of a Latin American leg of the PT Tour!

God bless ya,
Heitor.

Hey Gavin,

I have yet another question... At about 6:47 of Anesthetize, when your playing the open- close hi-hat stuff and the snare is on every beat 3, how do you you coordinate the bass drum with the open-close hi hat stuff? Is it something that comes naturally where you can just do it? I find it hard to close the hat that fast and play the bass drum grove at the same time... hope this makes sense... lol

Cheers

-Branndon

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

Thank you for your info regarding EV N/D 468 and Sennheiser MD421, but MD421 is too big for my drumkit with many cymbals and expensive for me. I have used two Audix D6 and one i5 on my bass drum and three Audix i5 on my snare drum.

I would easily recommend the EVN/D 468 - they sound great and are a good size for fitting around a complex setup. I use them in my live setup with Porcupine Tree. I'm curious why you have three Audix i5's on your snare drum?

Hi ItalianRicky

Have you used in past K custom fast crashes?what do you think about it?

Yes I have an 18" one and it's really nice - but I prefer the longer sounding crash these days.

Last week i bought a 12x5 sonor delite maple snare. Some advices for tuning?

tune it higher than your highest tom. Bottom head higher than the top head. It should sound great.

Hi steste50

I recently bought a 13" mastersound HH (the bottom hat has "waves" on the edge) and, surprisingly, putting the bottom hat of the mastersound and the top hat of the K i found that that heavy feel disappeared, making the new combination a fresher sound w/o losing the original character.
Have you ever experimented pairing different HH? Did u find any advantages and/or discover new possibilities?

I have experimented with combining different cymbals for hi hats - and sometimes you can find something interesting. I'm not crazy about the rippled waves on the bottom cymbal. It's a sound I struggle to work with.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

I that rug really tied the room together,didnt it? ;)

sorry - you lost me there.

Hi Heitor

Anyway, I was wondering what is your experience of working with people from other countries and do you have any tip and/or advice for someone like me, who might be open about working for people in other countries?

Musicians are the same the world over - they want to play and want to express their personalities. Even though you may not be able to speak with them directly through language - you can easily communicate on a much deeper level with music. I understood a lot about peoples character when I played with them.

Still hoping for news of a Latin American leg of the PT Tour!

me too.

Hi pixelbreaker

At about 6:47 of Anesthetize, when your playing the open- close hi-hat stuff and the snare is on every beat 3, how do you you coordinate the bass drum with the open-close hi hat stuff? Is it something that comes naturally where you can just do it?

You mean when the snare is on 2 & 4 ? When I play that rhythm the hi hat foot is closing the hi hat on all the "&" beats in the bar. It's just a matter of coordination to then play syncopated bass drum patterns against it. You should try working through some popular bass drum patterns with the hi hat foot pumping 8s, 4's, "&'s". A surprisingly hard one is to play a samba bass drum pattern whilst your hi hat foot is pumping 8's.

Cheers
Gavin

Mike Machine

WFD Champion
Hey Gavin,

Could you tell us what you use to mount your EV N/D 408's? are they pearl mic booms? I have the same mics but would love some better mounting for them,...thanks man

Mike

Mauriesje

Hey peoples,

In the MD issue of jan 09 with the GH cover story, on pp 49 it can be seen that his setup is built on a puzzle-piece-like carpet (or whatever it is)...

Anyone any idea what it is, and if so, where it can be purchased?!?

Ltrz,
Mauriesje

osi.3

Hello again Gavin! I'm trying to figure out what the best interface between Logic and the drum mics would be. I've had Logic Pro 8 for over a year now, however, I never tried recording drums with it. I have this old KORG D1600mkII that's served me well, so ideally I'd like to be able to record on both simultaneously, if that is possible. I just don't know what a good investment would be for signal routers. Any input is greatly appreciated.

As always, an honor to converse with you. =)
-mp

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Abhishek

could you recommend a really trash china from the Zildjian line? Really like what you use during gigs.

It depends how big you want it. I really like the Zildjian Oriental China Trash line. I use a 16" and a 12".

Hi Mike Machine

Could you tell us what you use to mount your EV N/D 408's? are they pearl mic booms?

Yes on my setup at home I still have the old Pearl mic boom arms. With PT I just use the top of an old mic stand that's been cut down and mount it off the rack with the PCX200 clamp.

Hi Mauriesje

In the MD issue of jan 09 with the GH cover story, on pp 49 it can be seen that his setup is built on a puzzle-piece-like carpet (or whatever it is)...Anyone any idea what it is, and if so, where it can be purchased?!?

It's a home gym exercise floor mat. You can find them in sports shops or department stores.

Hi osi.3

I'm trying to figure out what the best interface between Logic and the drum mics would be. I've had Logic Pro 8 for over a year now, however, I never tried recording drums with it.

There's a lot available that do just that. It depends on your budget really and how many mics you want to plug into it. I'm using two Apogee Rosetta 800s so I can record 16 channels of drums - but it requires a desk to handle the mics and pass on the signal to them - and a PCI card. Some of the interfaces you can plug the mics directly into them. If you don't need something as big as that you could try the MOTU 828.

cheers
Gavin