Gavin Harrison here!

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Hmmmm... maybe both? (overdubs) I definitely hear brushes, but some snare rolls and crash strokes seem too clear and with too much attack for brushes. Gavin will enlighten the subject :) .

nolonx

Hello,

does anyone know which cymbal Gavin uses in Normal at 5:05 till the end of the song, when he's doing the buzz rolls along with the toms.

Given the groove he plays, I think he uses the HH pedal, but it sounds so much like a ride. But maybe it's just the mix.

Thanks

BTW the gig in Milan last week was GREAT!

gymvideo

Hello Gavin,
first of all congratulations for the porcupine tree gig last week in bologna. The overrall sound was perfect, it was like listening the album.
My question is: are you going to do some clinic tour around the europe next year, maybe in italy like 2007?

Thank you

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi SantiBanks

Have you heard his post-humous album "Pilgrimage" with deJohnette, Pattituci, Mehldau, Metheny and Herbie?

No I haven't heard it - but I'll check it out - thanks.

Hi ItalianRicky

I wanna say thanks for all the energy that you guys have gived us yesterday in Padova!

we had a good time but the gig almost got cancelled because the venue is about 3 weeks off being finished.

Hi kotras

I have only one small question. I need advice. Have you any practice only on snare drum?

If I've understood your question - you mean have I studied any snare drum methods? I spent a long time working with "Fred Albright's Contempory Studies For Snare Drum" book. It's very hard but really good.

Hi DrummerStan

Ive found something in your playing I cant quite figure out. The ghost notes played around 7:18-7:19 of Anesthetize --I hear them alot in your playing-- are they some kind of buzz roll w/ your left hand? I cant figure out if its just a buzz roll or 32nds.

They're 32nds play rrll and then usually the right hand goes straight back to the hi hat.

Hi Fox622003

Hey Gavin, is there any footage of you playing with brushes? Do you use them often (at home perhaps)?

I don't think there is. I don't get asked to play brushes that much - but I do enjoy using them.

What Vic Firth pair would you recommend for both Jazz (Also Fusion, light stuff) and Pop? And the same with Rutes, but also, I was thinking of getting a pair of Rutes, but while they are used for light music, do they still break often in your experience?

The Steve Gadd brushes are really nice. Rutes are good too but if you play a bit too hard they will break and splinter.

And have you decided to make the definite switch to the Vic Grip sticks, or will you still be using normal sticks?

I've been using the Vic Grip Rock model for all of this tour and I really like them. I feel like I don't have to grip so tightly and therefore not give myself too much muscle ache.

Hi Swiss Matthias

Hmmmm... maybe both? (overdubs) I definitely hear brushes, but some snare rolls and crash strokes seem too clear and with too much attack for brushes. Gavin will enlighten the subject :) .

Black Dahlia is played with brushes - and about half way through I pick up a stick in my right hand and play a ride cymbal - but continue with the brush in my left hand.

Hi nolonx

does anyone know which cymbal Gavin uses in Normal at 5:05 till the end of the song, when he's doing the buzz rolls along with the toms.

That's my 20" K ride cymbal - it's not overdubbed and all the patterns are played incorporating that ride.

Hi gymvideo

My question is: are you going to do some clinic tour around the europe next year, maybe in italy like 2007?

It's possible but I have no confirmed plans to at the moment - but I have some offers from Italy and I'm just waiting to find out my availability from the Porcupine Tree touring.

cheers
Gavin

K.Howden

It's possible but I have no confirmed plans to at the moment - but I have some offers from Italy and I'm just waiting to find out my availability from the Porcupine Tree touring.

cheers
Gavin
That would be fantastic! I'm a student at BIMM: (Brighton Insitute of Modern Music) http://www.bimm.co.uk/brighton/ studying a Proffesional Diploma in Drums leading on to a BA Hons in Proffesional Musicianship.

They reguarly hold Master classes/guest Lectures from various people in the Music Industry and have big names such as; Jeff Beck, Pete Thomas and Gary Moore in recently. I don't know how possible it is but I for one think it would be great if you could do a Clinic/Master Class at BIMM on said possible Clinic Tour.

Hope you're well,

Kev

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi K.Howden,

I'm not planning a UK clinic tour. Possibly the only chance to catch me in clinic for quite some time will be the one next March 18th for Poole Percussion.

cheers
Gavin

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Gavin Harrison said:
Black Dahlia is played with brushes - and about half way through I pick up a stick in my right hand and play a ride cymbal - but continue with the brush in my left hand.
Yeah, that's the most elegant way to go! Cool you're doing it this way in the studio too!

At the moment I'm working a bit on your second book, as I do from time to time. In chapter 5 (I believe) you have us play a paradiddle with the SD and the BD and do 3s, 5s and 7s with the right hand (or as I like to practice it too: with my left foot clave bell). Question: If I wanna go for the Version 2, meaning to hear everything in 3 respectively 5 or 7 - what would be the intention for that? To me it's much harder than superimposing the odd groupings over the 4/4 paradiddle so I asked myself if I should do the work to get there, or not. Should I? :)

Edit: By the way, thank you very much for those two great pieces of work, they give me so much, and the things I've mastered (pretty much the first book I think) seem to be so logical and natural to me now. I'm glad I had them signed by you once you were in Switzerland!

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hey Gavin, someone mentioned your right side China (a 22" I think) being cut some posts back, it caught my attention, but now I've seen it on some footage (Voodoo Fest) I've got to ask...What's with that? An experiment? Found the crack right before the show =D?
By the way, from the videos, you must had been inspired on that performance, even though I think the sound wasn't as great as on other vids from just PT venues and there were some obvious problems, I think your playing was very very tight, even more so on some of the songs than the same pieces on other venues (As if :-D).
Thanks for your insight on Rutes and Brushes by the way, I'll defintiely check out the Steve Gadd Sig. .

Fox.

nolonx

Hi nolonx

That's my 20" K ride cymbal - it's not overdubbed and all the patterns are played incorporating that ride.
Gavin,

I cannot find any live footage of you playing that song. Basically you play the 16ths and the rolls with two hands and with the right you play the ride on quarter notes, am I correct?

Thanks!

I hope to see you soon in a clinic in italy :)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Swiss Matthias,

At the moment I'm working a bit on your second book, as I do from time to time. In chapter 5 (I believe) you have us play a paradiddle with the SD and the BD and do 3s, 5s and 7s with the right hand (or as I like to practice it too: with my left foot clave bell). Question: If I wanna go for the Version 2, meaning to hear everything in 3 respectively 5 or 7 - what would be the intention for that? To me it's much harder than superimposing the odd groupings over the 4/4 paradiddle so I asked myself if I should do the work to get there, or not. Should I? :)

First of all these are meant to be exercises not rhythms you're going to play necessarily in a band situation. The whole reason to switch to feeling it all from a 3's (or 5's or 7's) perspective is the mental exercise of playing the exactly same notes as in 16ths 4/4 - but changing the way you think and perceive it. It's good for your rhythmic brain to be challenged in this way.

Hi Fox622003

Hey Gavin, someone mentioned your right side China (a 22" I think) being cut some posts back, it caught my attention, but now I've seen it on some footage (Voodoo Fest) I've got to ask...What's with that? An experiment? Found the crack right before the show =D?

Yes I cracked it and cut around the crack.

By the way, from the videos, you must had been inspired on that performance, even though I think the sound wasn't as great as on other vids from just PT venues and there were some obvious problems, I think your playing was very very tight, even more so on some of the songs than the same pieces on other venues (As if :-D).

That show was a nightmare - and I wish it wasn't all over the internet. We had a lot of technical problems.

Hi nolonx,

I cannot find any live footage of you playing that song. Basically you play the 16ths and the rolls with two hands and with the right you play the ride on quarter notes, am I correct?

Correct.

cheers
Gavin

Fox622003

Gold Member
That show was a nightmare - and I wish it wasn't all over the internet. We had a lot of technical problems.
Yeah, I noticed, all of you must have wanted to hit someone really hard after that show, specially the people at the mixing table :-O .
As for inspired I just meant it must have been quite hard to keep your drumming at that level with all the distractions, John and Steven seemed quite thrown off by the situation.
But you shouldn't worry that much about the footage being around, at least it's a lot better than cell-phone-quality stuff and alright, considering.
Thanks for the answers.

Fox.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Hi Swiss Matthias,
First of all these are meant to be exercises not rhythms you're going to play necessarily in a band situation. The whole reason to switch to feeling it all from a 3's (or 5's or 7's) perspective is the mental exercise of playing the exactly same notes as in 16ths 4/4 - but changing the way you think and perceive it. It's good for your rhythmic brain to be challenged in this way.
Thanks for your reply. So I'll challenge myself when I have enough practice time. As you mention, this is not stuff to play in band situations, and therefore doesn't belong to the first things I practice in my routine. Or mostly not... Since I study your stuff I often catch myself incorporating i.e. 5 note groupings in swing stuff or so though :D. On the other hand I've heard Bill Stewart do so as well.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi cantstandyourfunk

Just a little something that wanted to post here...

http://www.telegraphindia.com/109110...y_11699168.jsp

great stuff - many thanks.

Hi Swiss Matthias,

As you mention, this is not stuff to play in band situations, and therefore doesn't belong to the first things I practice in my routine. Or mostly not... Since I study your stuff I often catch myself incorporating i.e. 5 note groupings in swing stuff or so though

I think this is the benefit of studying the 'mental' exercises - you'll find more and more that some of the ideas will come creeping through subconsciously in your playing as you start to feel more comfortable getting 'out' there with your rhythmic mind. It sounds a bit abstract - but it happens to me. Having an agile mind when it comes to rhythmic concepts and polyrhythms cannot be a bad thing.

Hi Phil Brodermann

just got me a ticket to the poole percussion clinic, that will be my xmas present :) Looking forward to it, Phil

Me too - see you there.

cheers
Gavin

nolonx

Gavin,

I just bought your two methods. I'm looking forward to receive them.

Do you have any recommendation on any exercise to do without the kit and the pad, similar to the polyrythmic ones you explain on Horizons? I spend two hours a day on the train, it would be nice to use that time to train a bit. Pun intended ah ah :D

Thanks