Gavin Harrison here!

shortsman

It will be great if we have the chance to get a Gavin Harrison signature snare drum! i would also like to see one day GH's signature bells! This is maybe my biggest dream! I truly adore these bells!

Gavin do you always record your parts with metronome? Have you ever written without a metronome? Also do you play live with a metronome in general or only when you play in clinic and together with video clips or pre-recorded parts?

SimSalaBim

Hey Gavin just wanted to say thanks for the superb show yesterday in Slovenia. I thought it would be the other way around but I enjoyed the first round more. It kinnda hit me right in the head that the new record is a masterpiece. But the old stuff was awesome too. I really liked the fact that you decided to play Blackest Eyes. One of my faves.

My favoutire part of the show was the middle part of Time Flies with guitar soloing. Man that part just blew me away and I got the feeling the base of the band was so strong the walls almost came down:) I hope you guys had some cold ones after the show for Steven's birthday. Thank you and all the band for the best show and I hate you for making me wanna sell all my drumming gear:) Hope to see you guys live again.

By the way what size is your bass drum? Is that 20 incher?

miha

Yeah, what a great concert yesterday in Slovenia! I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as we did (great response from lots and lots of people attending the show). The sound and performance were just phenomenal, at the time I couldn't tell whether you guys were actually playing or just doing it on a playback... ;)))

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi shortsman

Gavin do you always record your parts with metronome? Have you ever written without a metronome? Also do you play live with a metronome in general or only when you play in clinic and together with video clips or pre-recorded parts?

Most stuff gets recorded with a click these days. Of course I've done many sessions without one - but the 'modern' way of working is to make it with a click because most of the time I record the drums completely on my own. If you're going to record without a click it's better to have all the rhythm section play together for the best feel. We don't use a click all the time in PT - only when it's needed for a technical reason.

Hi SimSalaBim

Hey Gavin just wanted to say thanks for the superb show yesterday in Slovenia.
By the way what size is your bass drum? Is that 20 incher?

Glad you enjoyed it. The bass drum is 22" x 17"

cheers
Gavin

CheesyStranger

Hello sir,

I'm new to this forum and I dare say I've explored it quite a bit to see if someone else had answered a similar question to the one I currently had in mind.

However, I didn't, so here's my question... (pardon me if it's a lengthy one)

In the room where I keep my drum set, the floor is covered with this unstable, carpety material. Basically, it's not the kind of solid surface I should have installed a drum on. In that regard, whenever I use my double pedals to play 16th or 32nd notes, they always turn out sloppy, because it always sounds as if I'm simultaneously hitting my bass drum with my left and right foot. Now, I know it's not a personal coordination issue since whenever I play on some other guy's drum the notes come in precisely. Also, I tend to constantly recalibrate my pedal settings so as to see if it's a configuration problem, but I don't hear much improvement whether I loosen or tighten them differently in any manner (I use Tama's power glide Iron Cobra, so I don't question their quality). Furthermore, I've resorted to inserting a huge pillow that takes a 1/3 of the base drum surface and tightening it till it became dead-skinned. Unfortunately, I still have problems with foot coordination, so I wondering if perhaps the floor on which I play might be at fault in this case since it rocks my pedals up and down a bit whilst I play.

Maybe it's just a silly question, but, if I had to choose a new place to set up my rig, would there be a way to do that effectively without spending days just to reset every detail pertaining as to how exactly my drum was previously set up the way I felt comfortable with it?

Last edited:

SnareSpectre

Mr. Harrison,

I've been a HUGE fan of yours since In Absentia came out and I first discovered you and Porcupine Tree. In fact, I've been visiting DrummerWorld.com for a long time, but only today found this forum dedicated solely to you, so I had to make an account to ask you a question!

I've been listening to The Incident ever since it came out, and like every album since In Absentia I feel like your drumming isn't just a timekeeper, but an important and integral part of the song - if I listened to drumless tracks of PT I think it would feel kind of loose, as I feel most of the songs are tied down by the brilliant rhythmical structures you create.

So with all that said, when you go into the studio to start the writing process with Steven, how do you get started? The most prominent example I can think of is Bonnie the Cat; the drum part you came up with in my opinion completely makes the song feel the way it does. Did Steven just write his part and tell you to cut loose, or was the song your idea, etc?

Thanks!
JD

linuxfux

Hi Gavin,

here is the result of the interview we did in Hamburg and where we talked about "The Incident", the tour, live-bootlegs, "Drummerworld", drum clinics, jazz, and Lewis Taylor:

http://www.hooked-on-music.de/Interviews/Porcupine_Tree/Interview_25_10_2009.html?band_id=3839

Maybe you'll need support by Google's (sometimes ugly) translation service, so try this one:
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=de&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hooked-on-music.de%2FInterviews%2FPorcupine_Tree%2FInterview_25_10_2009.html%3Fband_id%3D3839&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

Greetings and thanks again for the interview,
Kay
(hooked on music)

Hurlza

G'day gavin,

Finally AUS gigs announced! too bad the melbourne one is only over 18s though. Oh well who needs an excuse to go to sydney anyway haha.

Anyway I was just wondering, ive been drumming for 10 years now and ive had 4-5 bands that have failed to get off the ground either people have moved or they just arent keen enough. So im looking to try and get some small time session work to get my drumming carrer off the ground. There are a few small studios around here and i was just wondering. How do you get your foot in the door at a studio? And how would the best way to approach this be? Im only 16 and im worried that at this age they wont take me seriously even before i play a note. How did you go about getting your first few session gigs?

Any help would be fantastic.

Hurlza

donv

Silver Member
Hi donv

This may have been asked already, but I noticed you play your splashes upside down. I'm curious about your reason for doing this is?

They are not splashes - they are custom cymbals that I call "Crash Bells". They don't really 'splash'.

Gavin
This is interesting. I recently read your Modern Drummer interview and they show you Custom Splashes, 7, 8, and 9", over your mounted toms being upside down, and the custom bells being to the left, over the hi-hat. But they also list your snare as a 12" which in the picture it obviously isn't so that may be the reason for misconception on my part.

It's still an interesting question though. With the bells, do you play them upside down for the same reason a china is usually played upside down? Or do you have another preference for doing it?

After reading the article and listening to your playing, you don't seem to do anything with your kit without a lot thought behind what you do. My impression is this translates to your playing because it's amazing how you nail everything you do with such a clean distinct sound. Even though you are a fairly new drummer to me, when I hear now, I know it's your playing.

Gus

Hi Gavin

Guess you´re using the arm, seen on the picture below, as a part within your chimes stand. I´ve noticed you have two differents heights for that arm, in order to place the five chimes without collide. May the arm be fixed in height or is something custom made for you?.

Thanks for your time and dedication here!

Regards
Gustavo

Attachments

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi CheesyStranger

In the room where I keep my drum set, the floor is covered with this unstable, carpety material. Basically, it's not the kind of solid surface I should have installed a drum on.
Maybe it's just a silly question, but, if I had to choose a new place to set up my rig, would there be a way to do that effectively without spending days just to reset every detail pertaining as to how exactly my drum was previously set up the way I felt comfortable with it?

You could just buy a thick new carpet and set your drums up on that - then mark the carpet in case you ever have to move your kit - and then all the stands could be placed in exactly the same position.

Hi SnareSpectre

So with all that said, when you go into the studio to start the writing process with Steven, how do you get started? The most prominent example I can think of is Bonnie the Cat; the drum part you came up with in my opinion completely makes the song feel the way it does. Did Steven just write his part and tell you to cut loose, or was the song your idea, etc?

In the case of "Bonnie The Cat" it started with my demo. I had already written the drum pattern and the bass line. I presented it to the band at a writing session with all four of us. As with most of my writing I tell the guys to change the notes if they want - the bass line was only written to show Colin where I wanted the bass to play from a rhythmic point of view. Steve and Richard jammed along to myself and Colin and came up with other parts.

Hi Hurlza

How do you get your foot in the door at a studio? And how would the best way to approach this be? Im only 16 and im worried that at this age they wont take me seriously even before i play a note. How did you go about getting your first few session gigs?

A hard question that. It's not really something that you just 'walk into'. You need to meet and play with lots of other musicians and if one of them thinks you're good enough they might suggest you for a session. When I started it was really in a different time and a very different place. In my early days - sessions for drummers were really drying up because of the introduction of the Linn Drum machine. I was lucky because I could play very well with a click - so I sometimes got suggested for sessions where I would just play a hi hat over a Linn Drum bass and snare. I met a guy in a local music store and he gave me a 'try out' and it went OK. That led onto a few other sessions. It really is a word of mouth thing - your reputation is everything. Studio time is expensive - and there's lots of experienced session drummers waiting to get a job - so why would anyone bother trying out a young inexperienced guy? The fact is it takes years to really establish yourself - and when you do get a break make sure you can do the job. Playing really well to a click and being a good reader is a very good start. Having a good sound and being able to play a lot of different styles is really going to help too.

Hi donv

This is interesting. I recently read your Modern Drummer interview and they show you Custom Splashes, 7, 8, and 9", over your mounted toms being upside down, and the custom bells being to the left, over the hi-hat.
With the bells, do you play them upside down for the same reason a china is usually played upside down? Or do you have another preference for doing it? But they also list your snare as a 12" which in the picture it obviously isn't so that may be the reason for misconception on my part.

I can assure you that they aren't 'splashes' - they are custom cymbals that I've been developing with Zildjian and they are meant to be played upside down for similar reasons to china type cymbals. Yes the snare in the photo session was a 14"x5" but at the MD Fest I play a 12"x5"

Hi Gus

Guess you´re using the arm, seen on the picture below, as a part within your chimes stand. I´ve noticed you have two differents heights for that arm, in order to place the five chimes without collide. May the arm be fixed in height or is something custom made for you?.

Yes I got them to make the cymbal thread to go all the way to the bottom. That way I can have two different heights (with care consideration for the amounts of felts to put in there). Maybe if you ask them they could do that for you.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
...by the way here's a little news item

just to let you know that I will be doing a solo performance drum clinic 18th March 2010 at Mr Kyps Parkstone, Poole Dorset. Tickets are now on sale and it's a small venue so book early. Some PT songs will be played and explained along with various other music including some of the songs from the 05Ric records. There will be a Q&A session.

http://www.poolepercussion.com/category.asp

direct link is

http://www.poolepercussion.com/shop.asp?CategoryID=17&CatTitle=Clinic and Show Tickets&Category=category&catid=17

cheers
Gavin

Hi master!!
Tomorrow will be a great day for me, i'm waiting for it by 2 years!!! can see gavin on drums AGAIN!!!
i'm really waiting for this moment, and i take with my my girlfriend...i hope that she can appreciate PT sound!This is the first time that she hear your music =)
I REALLY HOPE that i can meet you tomorrow. If i see you, i tell that i'm ItalianRicky from drummerworld forum...i hope that you can remember! See you soon!
cheers from Italy
Riccardo!

SantiBanks

No that was the Audix and the Shure SM91
Thanks for that. I love that sound!

we don't need one. We're quite happy with a static mix. I have individual control of the click and a couple of other things on my personal mixer that is right next to my drums.
Which is something I would like with my own band. Thanks for this insight! I'm sorting out options for the future as I really would like to have my own control over the things I'm hearing on stage.

All the channels are split on the stage so they go into the monitor desk and FOH.
cheers
Gavin
And thanks for that too :)

Also, thanks for the German interview. I found it an interesting read. Especially your answers about bootlegging. Also noticed that you like Michael Brecker, which sadly passed away much too early (I remember Metheny dedicating a song to him every concert in 2005 aswell as asking for help to cure Michael). Have you heard his post-humous album "Pilgrimage" with deJohnette, Pattituci, Mehldau, Metheny and Herbie? Bought the SACD a few months back and it really blew me away. I highly recommend it if you like Brecker. It's one of his finest works with some wonderful compositions and unbelievable solo's (its really hard to imagine that Michael was deadsick and recorded this between his hospitalisations and chemo's).

Btw, what do you think of jazz fusion like Chick Corea's Return to Forever? I noticed you mentioning John McLaughlin in the interview. I'm always amazed by Lenny White who sits like Zen itself on his stool. He's so calm and relaxed behind his kit. It looks like he just touches everything very light but the amount of sound and loudness he can achieve with that slight touch is just amazing.

Last edited:
Hi Master!
I wanna say thanks for all the energy that you guys have gived us yesterday in Padova!
Amazing concert!
Amazing band!
Yesterday evening i feel good vibrations in the concert place, and on the stage!
You and Richard was always laughing! =)
I haven't understood if steven said that today you gotta go to eat and drink some wine here in veneto!
I hope that you guys received all our love and friendship!
I haven't tried to reach the backstage, i don't like to interfere with the people that's working...
But i've obtained a pair of your sticks by the official merchandising guy, and i bought a hoddie =)
i hope to see you soon, maybe when you do the next clinic tour.
Thanks again to you all guys, with all my heart, you gived me a lot of good sensations!
My girlfriend really appreciate the concert too!
cheers from Italy
Riccardo!

ps:if you like the Italian wine...and you guys need some...gavin, mail me and i ca help you =P !!

kotras

Hi Gavin,
thanks for yours energy show in the Vienna. It was wonderful evening for all people in the Gassometer Hale. I have only one small question. I need advice. Have you any practice only on snare drum? Thanks for your answear....

Mates

DrummerStan

Ive found something in your playing I cant quite figure out. The ghost notes played around 7:18-7:19 of Anesthetize --I hear them alot in your playing-- are they some kind of buzz roll w/ your left hand? I cant figure out if its just a buzz roll or 32nds. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hey Gavin, is there any footage of you playing with brushes? Do you use them often (at home perhaps)? What Vic Firth pair would you recommend for both Jazz (Also Fusion, light stuff) and Pop? And the same with Rutes, but also, I was thinking of getting a pair of Rutes, but while they are used for light music, do they still break often in your experience?
And have you decided to make the definite switch to the Vic Grip sticks, or will you still be using normal sticks?
Alright, thanks a lot!

Fox.