Gavin Harrison here!

Heitor

Hi Gavin!

Just wanted to know something... I received the download code to "Time Flies (Edit)" and there's no kick drum... is that right?!?

If so, you just BLEW MY MIND! That would be the ultimate risk at trying something different on a song... "Hey, let's play it without any bass drum!"

If not, I think Steven needs to make a little recall =)

Top notch song, great to see you guys expanding even more your sound on this new album! Congratulations and all the best!

Heitor.

chongzilla

Hey Gavin,
Thanks for the reply! I got my bassist to agree to go take lessons. Or atleast he has the intention. Following through on such things sometimes doesn't happen so time will tell! haha, otherwise your plan A will go into effect! haha

I just taught my guitarist how to play the most basic rhythm for a pattern of 7/8, 7/8, and then 6/8 (1-3-5-- 1-3-5-- 1--4--). I'm basically tricking him into that so that I can play a guitar riff over that that is 4 bars of 5/8. Plus if I teach him alternating time signatures he'll think 7/8 by itself is easier! haha

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions.
-Stan

Hey Fox622003,
Thanks for your input also. I'm glad you responded too. I'm trying to see what people think to help me decide for myself what to do. I've had responses like "fire the guitarist and bassist and keep the singer." to "Leave and find people that are just as progressive minded as you." to "Give them lessons/have them take lessons." to "Quit that band and move to California!" All, perfectly fine ideas. haha, I just have to figure what's best for me. It's good to hear what other musicians think. Hopefully things will get better with patience and them either learning from me or taking lessons.
Thanks,
Stan

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi jez-

I was wondering what time signatures the new song "Scar" contains? The chorus sounds interesting.

The verse is in 11/8 (could be thought of as 3/4 + 5/8) and the chorus is in 4/4. Guitar solo section is 11/8 as well.

Hi tommorello,

yes I met Martin Lopez when Opeth and PT we're touring together around 2003.

Hi DrummerStan

1. What would you consider the most difficult Porcupine Tree song to date(could be off the new album)?

Technically speaking - the end of "What Happens Now" is quite tricky - "Futile" is another quite hard piece to play live.

2. Do you have any tips on time keeping? It seems I can only get so far with a metronome. Is it one of those things that just happens over time as you practice more?

Recording yourself and listening back to check for timing is a good thing to do. I don't really understand what you mean by "only get so far with a metronome"?

3. Do you play more than one instrument? Do you think learning to play bass or guitar could help a drummer develop musically?

I play bass, guitar and keyboards - all pretty badly - but yes I think it definitely helps my drumming.

Hi Heitor

Just wanted to know something... I received the download code to "Time Flies (Edit)" and there's no kick drum... is that right?!?

I haven't heard that particular edit - but yes there should be bass drum in there.

cheers
Gavin

DrummerStan

Hi jez-

Recording yourself and listening back to check for timing is a good thing to do. I don't really understand what you mean by "only get so far with a metronome"?

cheers
Gavin
Sorry if it was confusing. I worded it wrong, I apologize. After rereading what I asked that part didn't make sense to me either. What I meant was are there are tricks to timekeeping other than working with a metronome and developing an internal clock so to speak?

Thank you for the replies. Im gonna look around for a means of recording my practices

chongzilla

Hey Gavin,
I just wanted to double check. Is this noted right or am I totally off on what I think I hear? Is it more studdered with the feet? On the Modern Drummer Festival it looks more stop and go than what I think I'm hearing. I get the hands, just alternate the right between the crash and ride. The left hand is spaced equally 6 times over the bar of 4/4. What's going on with the feet?
Thanks,
Stan

Attachments

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi DrummerStan

What I meant was are there are tricks to timekeeping other than working with a metronome and developing an internal clock so to speak?

Ultimately you just need to listen. Open your ears and hear your playing. Can you tell if your timing sounds good/bad? speeding up/slowing down? Never give up working with that metronome - if you know how to listen - it will show you many things.

Hi chongzilla

I just wanted to double check. Is this noted right or am I totally off on what I think I hear? Is it more studdered with the feet? On the Modern Drummer Festival it looks more stop and go than what I think I'm hearing. I get the hands, just alternate the right between the crash and ride. The left hand is spaced equally 6 times over the bar of 4/4. What's going on with the feet?

You haven't got it right - it's actually very simple indeed. (We've discussed this here already quite a bit so here's a link to my transcription).

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=343578&postcount=1407

cheers
Gavin

stoneymonster

Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?

Looking forward to the tour, maybe this is the song you rest your legs on? ;)

jez-

Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?

Looking forward to the tour, maybe this is the song you rest your legs on? ;)
Gavin already answered that, read a few posts back. :)

cygnify

Hey Stoney - I noticed the same thing regarding the "Time Flies" edit - and as Gavin responded, there should be a kick in there (but it certainly does seem to be absent in the pre-order mp3 I heard.) If you go to the PT myspace page or roadrunner records you can hear the preview edit for the new album, there definitely is a kick in the mix (Time Flies included.) Either the pre-order edit was purposely mixed with no kick or it's some sort of mistake - personally, I hope that the final work has a more pronounced kick drum as it accentuates the rhythm and makes that ride and ghost strokes sound all the more tasty!

Gavin - is that a special ride that you used for "Time Flies" or is it your usual K ride? It sounds particularly shimmering, almost like a flat top.

loveporcupine

Hi Gavin,

got a question, is this you on that clip (Sam Brown, Formel eins)?

If yes i just won ten box, my friend says no!

Besides this time flies and I cannot wait to hear the full incident and watch that tilburg dvd!
see you on tour!

cheers

Lionel from Basel

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hello Gavin, two quick questions here!
You've played countless live shows, but I've never seen extra sticks lying around, where do you keep them? I mean, you must have dropped a stick once at least somewhere between all those shows!
Also, why did you chose the black Evans EQ patch over the clear patch? because I've got to change mine and was thinking of trying the black, but not sure what the main difference is.
Alright, thanks for your time Gavin.

All the best, Fox.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi cygnify

is that a special ride that you used for "Time Flies" or is it your usual K ride? It sounds particularly shimmering, almost like a flat top.

Yes I think it's my K 20" ride. There's a section you haven't heard yet that features the bell of the ride quite clearly.

Hi loveporcupine

got a question, is this you on that clip (Sam Brown, Formel eins)? If yes i just won ten box, my friend says no!

The track has my drumming on it - but that's not me there with blond hair on the drumset. In fact I don't think I ever did a TV show with Sam.

Hi Fox622003

You've played countless live shows, but I've never seen extra sticks lying around, where do you keep them?

I keep them in a bag leaning against my first floor tom - and there's another couple of sticks attached to a holder on the lower part of the hi hat stand.

Also, why did you chose the black Evans EQ patch over the clear patch?

I just like the attack from the black one.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by a moderator:

zacharr

Derek Roddy

Hi Gavin!
Many people ask you about double bass drum "tips". You always direct them to the Derek Roddy. Do you really think he is such a good drummer? His playing, is only about very fast single strokes!! Even when he is playing drum solo there are just few blasts! That is not something that really interest me. Of course I am far away from his speed, but even if I could play so fast,I won't use it! For me it is not what music is about.
Cheers
Tom
Sorry for any grammar mistakes
By the way,Chongzilla, in my opinion, you are not a drummer if you have a problems with playing with click. Those are basics.

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

any tips which programm to use for drum (and maybe other instrument) transcriptions on mac..??

I'm searching and searching but I cannot find any good programm...

Thanks very much
David

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi zacharr

Many people ask you about double bass drum "tips". You always direct them to the Derek Roddy. Do you really think he is such a good drummer?

Yes I think he's great. I had chance to spend a little bit of time with him at the Modern Drummer Fest and PASIC and he's a very nice guy too. Maybe you don't like the style of music that he tends to play the most but I really appreciate what he does on the instrument. I really like this video and it shows a bit of a different side to his approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQHM0M6TGg

Hi Kalma

any tips which programm to use for drum (and maybe other instrument) transcriptions on mac..??

I understand both Finale and Sibelius are both really good on the Mac - I have friends that use both. Terry Branam could probably tell you his thoughts about this. Are you out there Terry?

cheers
Gavin

Although I have been drumming for about 2 years now Gavin's playing has been a HUGE inspiration to me. Top notch stuff it's great I am in the process of buying the books and DVD's I hear they are ridiculously hard and not for the beginner but i don't care i am looking forward to it.

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
Are you out there Terry?
I'm here somewhere!!

Kalma,

As Gavin said, Finale and Sibelius are the two most popular notation programs for the Mac. I personally use Finale, but I have messed around with Sibelius as well. I started with Finale years ago and I just stuck with it because I know it really well, and it can do virtually anything I want it to.

As far as the "learning curve", I found Sibelius to be a slight bit more user friendly at first, but harder to tweak stuff to a certain degree. Finale was the exact opposite kind of experience (if that makes any sense).

Either way, if you are looking to get started with working with notation, these two programs are the way to go.

FYI: I used Finale for all of the transcriptions in Gavin's upcoming book. If I can get through both GH/05ric albums without breaking it, it's good software!!!

Good luck,

Terry

SantiBanks

I downloaded the freeware program MuseScore (for mac, windows and linux versions available too) and it looked pretty impressive for a freeware program. There seems to be support for drumscores (only tried making a lead sheet). I can recommend it for people who like to give scoring music a try. It might not be as feature rich as finale or sibilius but I think it will do the trick for most musicians who want their idea on paper quick.

http://www.musescore.org/