Gavin Harrison here!

hi gavin!
is everything ok?
i need 2 advices by you...
1 - i'm actually using a 17" and a 18" crashes, but i wanna extend my crash sounds...i play usually pop, what do you can suggest me?16"?15"?14"?there's a model of crash that you want to suggest me?i like A custom and K sounds...consider yourself free to tell me all that you want!!! ^_^
2 - i'm actually using a 14"x5.5" maple snare. and a 10"x5.5" brass piccolo snare.
i'm thinking about a new snare, for secondary role.
There's some sizes that you consideer very versatile?
12" snares?
thanks for your time gavin!
again happy new 2009!
Riccardo ^^

cantstandyourfunk

ahhhh! Going to catch Opeth live at Chennai on Jan. 25. Can't wait to interview Mike Akerfeldt. PT will be a big part of that discussion, I presume :)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi ItalianRicky

1 - i'm actually using a 17" and a 18" crashes, but i wanna extend my crash sounds...i play usually pop, what do you can suggest me?16"?15"?14"?there's a model of crash that you want to suggest me?i like A custom and K sounds...consider yourself free to tell me all that you want!!! ^_^

I would suggest a 15" K Dark Crash thin.

2 - i'm actually using a 14"x5.5" maple snare. and a 10"x5.5" brass piccolo snare.
i'm thinking about a new snare, for secondary role.
There's some sizes that you consideer very versatile?12" snares?

I like 12x5 a lot.

cantstandyourfunk

ahhhh! Going to catch Opeth live at Chennai on Jan. 25. Can't wait to interview Mike Akerfeldt. PT will be a big part of that discussion, I presume :)

Mike is a great guy - you'll have a really nice time.

cheers
Gavin

Gus

Hi Gavin

Thank you for the advice you did on Vic Firth interview of Art Farmer's 'Crawl Space', in one word: WOW!. I knew about 'big blues' -love Jim Hall-, but not about this. Unfortunately is not avalaible on cd -discontinued-, it´s a shame. So just mp3

Do you like Miles Davis 'In a silent way'?.
Is not very interesting for a drummer, but a lot of rhythm work behind from the three pianists.

Best regards
Gustavo

Last edited:

Joe P

Gavin,
When you want to try out new ideas in a musical context, do you ever play along with songs (or even drumless tracks)? Do you ever just make a groove in a sequencer so you can play along to it?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Gus

Thank you for the advice you did on Vic Firth interview of Art Farmer's 'Crawl Space', in one word: WOW!. I knew about 'big blues' -love Jim Hall-, but not about this. Unfortunately is not avalaible on cd -discontinued-, it´s a shame. So just mp3

Yes I was lucky to find it on CD in Japan. It's a must have record.

Do you like Miles Davis 'In a silent way'?.
Is not very interesting for a drummer, but a lot of rhythm work behind from the three pianists.

Yes it's a great record.

Hi Joe P

When you want to try out new ideas in a musical context, do you ever play along with songs (or even drumless tracks)? Do you ever just make a groove in a sequencer so you can play along to it?

When I think of new ideas - I don't really play them along to music to see how it fits - I do try to record it either on the computer as audio - or on paper as notation - which is actually more useful because from there it's easy to see how you can manipulate the idea by trying some displacement and modulation or adding or subtracting a beat or two to see how it feels in a different time signature. Sometimes I play along with albums and find that I have different ideas to the drummer on the record - and that can be a good place to start.

Hi Alex P.

I finally finished the transcription of "Nil Recurring" !
I hope everything is well-legible, especially the 7/8 part, and the end.

Fantastic work !!!!!!! Well done - that was a big project I'm sure.

1 - How did you work your "fills", find your "vocabulary" ? Because when I do jam session with other musicians, I am a bit lock, and I play often the same fills.

Of course like anyone I have some stock ideas and vocabulary - but I try to break them down into small segments that can be reshuffled to make newer ideas. When I play fills I try to think of concepts rather than actual fills - that way I'm more likey to play something new and surprise myself. For instance if (just before a fill) you tell yourself to "play a fill starting on the 2nd 16th note play some hand foot combinations and slip a triplet in there somewhere". - you make up the fill to fit the concept. Otherwise you keep relying on things you've worked out beforehand. To be creative and spontaneous is a hard thing and you have to put yourself mentally in the right space first. Thinking more abstractly is going to help you.

2 - Do you remember wich snare drum you use in the song "Sleep Together"? I really like the sound !

It would have been my old Yamaha RC 14x5.

Cheers
Gavin

colinjnk

Hi Gavin,

Do you think an audio engineering job is any easier to get into than being a professional musician?

For the longest time I had thought I would "make it big" in the music business and make money being a professional musician, but eventually I realized that it might not be so easy to do and me practicing drums in my room all day wasn't going to help me get anywhere.

I decided to take classes on audio engineering, and I think that may be a lot better career wise.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer questions, keep up the fantastic work.

DTrocks

Hi Gavin!

I recently got the january edition of modern drummer. Some really nice pictures of your kit there! I love it! Really great interview too.

But, what I was wondering was: Any news on PT's new live dvd? Really looking forward to it! It's going to be great to get some new live material from you guys!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

hi master Gavin^^
i'm here just to tell you that i finally bought an 15" A custom fast crash ^^
I founded the crash that you suggest me, and i love it..amazing darker sound with a wonderful controlled decay, but the price was toom much expensive for me.
Thanks a lot for the advice, howewer.
I've tried a 12x5 maple snares without focus ring...i found it really nice!
But tell me...has a size like 12" a good tuning range?What head you'll put on it?

i'll show you my last custom "Gavin Bell"!!
it comes from a Sabian AAX 16" crash.
what do you think?
http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1130018na9.jpg
http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1130020fv5.jpg
http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1130019ry7.jpg
Thanks!
Riccardo

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi colinjnk

Do you think an audio engineering job is any easier to get into than being a professional musician?

I don't really know as I've never tried to be one - but I will say this - like many areas of the music world, recording studios are thin on the ground. There's lots of people out there with plenty of skill in that department who have no work.

Hi DTrocks

Any news on PT's new live dvd? Really looking forward to it! It's going to be great to get some new live material from you guys!

No news about it at the moment. We're busy writing and arranging the new album right now.

Hi ItalianRicky

But tell me...has a size like 12" a good tuning range?What head you'll put on it?

A 12" has a reasonable tuning range - obviously it won't go down very low. Normally I put a Remo Ambassador or C.S on it.

i'll show you my last custom "Gavin Bell"!! it comes from a Sabian AAX 16" crash.
what do you think?

It looks great - how does it sound?

cheers
Gavin

Hi ItalianRicky

A 12" has a reasonable tuning range - obviously it won't go down very low. Normally I put a Remo Ambassador or C.S on it.

i'll show you my last custom "Gavin Bell"!! it comes from a Sabian AAX 16" crash.
what do you think?

It looks great - how does it sound?

cheers
Gavin
I have the same idea about the 12" snare.It surely can't go down very low, but for that work there's my main snare.My interest are oriented in high pitches.I wanna understand if a 12" snare, in determined situations can be put in a high tension and have a sound that remember a 10" snare.This may be helpful, and give me the way to work with 2 snares, and no 3.I hope that you'll understand what i wanna say.This overall may be helpful in studio sessions.
Thanks.
The "Gavin bell"...
The bell seems to sound a little bit different from yours.
I remember a sound like a "TAiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnn" from your bells, my cymbal seems to be more focused.
i dunno if this is caused from the different cymbal type and making process (i'm comparing Zildjian and Sabian), if i remember well, i saw your bell in the rhytmic horizons clinic tour, and i recognize surely a cutted A custom and a cutted Z custom cymbal.
I thought that the mayor difference comes from the most bigger bell of my base cymbal.i remember that your bells have a little bell and a "plane" section larger than mine.
this may affect the sustain of my cymbal, probably.
But it seems to be pretty good, and this is howewer a point of start for my future custom works.
I want to try it in live contest, i think this may be the better way for understand the true utility of it.
i have another question.
next month i'll problably go in studio for a self producted pop recording session.
I play on a drumset very similar to your.and i wanna use if possible your sounds as reference for my drums, on this record.
I wanna ask you if you have a sample of you tom\floor toms,bassdrum sounds.i need to recognize as well each drum,and his sound.Or if won't take you so much time,if you can realize one for me.i don't need particolar sounds, i wanna hear as well you drum tuning.but i think that a lot of users may be helped from this =)
Thank you again.
thanks.
Riccardo

ps:under the bell, i'll wrote "Gavin Harrison ispirated" custom bell :D

Last edited:

loveporcupine

Hi Gavin,

I've attented one year ago to your drum clinics in Basel and in Liestal.

got 3 questions:

- when will the tilburg dvd be released?
- will there be other recordings with 05Ric?
- In Basel I gave you a t-shirt printed with your name. was the size ok?

I have here 2 Jobs, one is my t-shirtshop www.domyshirt.ch and the other
is to make advertisment for your drumming!

hope to see you soon live again!
Lionel

MBruyere

Hi Gavin!
I've been listening to "Drop" a lot lately and I was wondering if you and Ric had a producer or did you guys just do the whole album on your own? By the way, as a drummer with a lot of drum corps experience, mostly bass line, that is the kind of drumming I've always wanted to hear played! Thanks for making it happen!! Any word on when we can expect the new PT album, and any plans to tour the US to support it? Thanks for chatting us all up!!!

Marc

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi ItalianRicky

I wanna ask you if you have a sample of you tom\floor toms,bassdrum sounds.i need to recognize as well each drum,and his sound., i wanna hear as well you drum tuning.but i think that a lot of users may be helped from this

You can clearly hear the pitches of my drums on my last DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" - Overriding Part 4 in the Lessons chapter. Last time I tested them the tuning of the 5 toms were this

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 5th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

which would be in correspondence with

tom 5 G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

Hi loveporcupine

- when will the tilburg dvd be released?

No news about that yet

- will there be other recordings with 05Ric?

Yes we're just finishing our new CD I predict a release around the end of February

- In Basel I gave you a t-shirt printed with your name. was the size ok?

Yes - thanks.

Hi MBruyere

I've been listening to "Drop" a lot lately and I was wondering if you and Ric had a producer or did you guys just do the whole album on your own?

No - we did the whole thing on our own.

Any word on when we can expect the new PT album, and any plans to tour the US to support it?

Yes we are expecting the new album to come out this autumn and there will be US and Euro gigs to support it.

cheers
Gavin

T

trkdrmr

I thought I would add my non-drumming genius .02 pence:

Gavin Harrison: Voted MD's "Best prog drummer of the year."

MD is slow. I figured that out a long time ago.

Your other accomplishment is to make those watching your DVD humble.

I like to have clear drumming goals to strive for. It just hurts my brain when ONE musical genius provides a whole years worth of striving.

Great job! Great kit!

Excuse me, I must now lick my drumming wounds. ;)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi jez-

Just a quick question. Can you confirm that this video is from the upcoming PT DVD?

No - that has nothing to do with the DVD.

cheers
Gavin

Hey,
I'l be conducting a Polyrhythm workshop in a week and would like any drummer's comments on my notes (especially Mr. Harrison's).
If you find any mistakes please let me know.

Also its a text file so make sure Word Wrap is on.

Cheers and thanks,
Hamza