Gavin Harrison here!

E

etnies12188

Thanks for the reply Gavin.

Maybe I'll make a video of me playing it soon if I can do good enough.

Russkie

Hey Gav...

I know it's totally an illegal question....how's drumming oriented on the next PT album...or..what's your tendency is gonna be... classic/jazzy... or deeper into the heavy aspects of ur latest drumming so far... What I mean, is if us mortals gonna be able to understand it? =)

Cheers,

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

I wanted to ask you about Porcupine Tree Playalongs.

I want to play at a contest and i would like to play a song of you or porcupine tree.
maybe sound of muzak or so.

Do you have playalongs you could send me, or are some on dvds of you?

WOULD BE GREAT
David

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Russkie

I know it's totally an illegal question....how's drumming oriented on the next PT album...or..what's your tendency is gonna be... classic/jazzy... or deeper into the heavy aspects of ur latest drumming so far... What I mean, is if us mortals gonna be able to understand it? =)

I haven't really got that far. Very little has been written and I haven't had time to consider what to play yet.

Hi Kalma

I wanted to ask you about Porcupine Tree Playalongs. I want to play at a contest and i would like to play a song of you or porcupine tree.maybe sound of muzak or so.

I don't have any I can give you. I remember that a German magazine called "Drumhead" did their own playalong of "The Sound Of Muzak" 2 or 3 years ago. You might be able to find it somewhere.

Cheers
Gavin

David Floegel

Silver Member

Hi Kalma

I wanted to ask you about Porcupine Tree Playalongs. I want to play at a contest and i would like to play a song of you or porcupine tree.maybe sound of muzak or so.

I don't have any I can give you. I remember that a German magazine called "Drumhead" did their own playalong of "The Sound Of Muzak" 2 or 3 years ago. You might be able to find it somewhere.

Cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,

you played a sound of muzak on MD. Are your playalongs licensed?

Maybe somebody here can help me. Please mail me if you have a playalong or know, where i can get it!!!

pilot19

Hi Gavin,

I have a nice collection of snare drums; about eleven pristine examples in my collection including an original Radio King and a Noble & Cooley US Civil War snare drum (circa 1862). However, all of my snares are 14 inch (the N&C is 15 inch). I notice you play a smaller, deeper snare drum. I love your snare drum nuances and dynamics. Can you tell me the dimensions and head combination?

Thanks,

pilot19

E

etnies12188

Gavin I need help badly, its driving me crazy the fill you do in "Slippin away part 2" Around the 1:56 mark when u hit the snare and choke the cymbals please tell me how to do it I've tried so many times.

Please help.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Kalma,

you played a sound of muzak on MD. Are your playalongs licensed?

do you mean are they published and released somewhere? No.

Hi pilot19

I have a nice collection of snare drums; about eleven pristine examples in my collection including an original Radio King and a Noble & Cooley US Civil War snare drum (circa 1862). However, all of my snares are 14 inch (the N&C is 15 inch). I notice you play a smaller, deeper snare drum. I love your snare drum nuances and dynamics. Can you tell me the dimensions and head combination?

It depends which snare drum - or song - you're referring to. I tend to use 14x5 a lot with Porcupine Tree - and sometimes I use a 12x5 (you may have seen that little white Sonor one on a clip somewhere). On that drum is usually a Remo Coated Ambassador - and a snare side Ambassador too. On the 14x5 drums I use either a Remo C.S or a Coated Pinstripe. I rarely use a snare drum deeper than 5".

Hi Alex P.

I finished the transcription of "Blackest Eyes". I hope there are not too many mistakes. ( Bar 21 to 35: I think you play on a other snare drum, on the second "16nd note" of the third beat, but I'm not sure.)

Very good - I noticed a couple of tiny mistakes - but I know how hard it is to transcribe things. Yes I seem to remember there was a second snare drum off to my left for those hits.

Now, I'll try to transcribe "Nil Recurring".

Good luck - I look forward to seeing it.

Hi etnies12188

Gavin I need help badly, its driving me crazy the fill you do in "Slippin away part 2" Around the 1:56 mark when u hit the snare and choke the cymbals please tell me how to do it I've tried so many times.

It's just a snare hit leading onto a choked cymbal crash - but I play 3 notes on the bass drum leading onto that crash...so the 3rd bass drum lands exactly with the crash. It's quite easy to see that from the overhead camera shot.

Cheers
Gavin

Trains'

Hey Gavin!

I try to improve the sound of my homestudio/basement. I see you use this kind of acousticelements.. my question is, which company make them or even where did you ordered them. Are they covert with this purplestuff or did you convert them? You use the lower one's to absorb your Bassdrum and the higher ones to kill echo from your room , am i right? Also i'd love to get an advice how you place them around your drumset ..

Thank you for your time.

Greetings,

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi DTrocks

any updates on the new OSI album? Long time since i've heard something...

I believe they are mixing it (or will be soon). Other than that - I don't know when it will be released.

Hi Trains'

I try to improve the sound of my homestudio/basement. I see you use this kind of acousticelements.. my question is, which company make them or even where did you ordered them. Are they covert with this purplestuff or did you convert them? You use the lower one's to absorb your Bassdrum and the higher ones to kill echo from your room , am i right? Also i'd love to get an advice how you place them around your drumset ..

I have three Audio Kinetics maneuverable panels (about 3 foot high and 3 foot wide). I don't think that company exists anymore. You still see them in studios - and I bought them from a studio that closed. You can see the 3 of them around the kit in this video:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonswerve.html

Don't be fooled by the purple/blue stuff - that's just very thin material that I hung up for lighting/contrast reasons for the cameras when I shot my last DVD.

cheers
Gavin

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

I have a question to Sound of Muzak from Arriving Somewhere and In Absentia.
Are the guitars played in the same way on Arriving as on In Absentia?

Because i Tried your fill at 3:11 in the In Absentia Version but it seemed not to fit.

Thanks David

At Terry:
I wanted to ask if you can transcribe me the fills in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipTPyAmtK0
At 0:39 and 1:06

Hello Sir,
Iv decided to become one of those Gavin wannabes and cut an old crash ride and convert it into a Gavin Bell. Will it be better if i just take the cymbal to a local drum manufacturer and get it cut? I believe they do that pretty often.

Will the pitch of the cymbal change after i cut it? not that it really matters though, but right now its B unlike any of my other cymbals.

Also your snare sounds very deep low phat and crisp. I always thought one could get that sorta sound only with snares deeper than 6.5" but you manage to get that with 5". Howcome?

Finally, my snare seems to be tuned (and sounds) quite similar to your snare in Drop but that is only when its off. Once i put the snare on, it sounds crisp but thin and high. I was wondering if adding compression and reverb on a recording will do the trick because when i wear noise reduction earplugs it sounds a lot like your snare (ie deep low phat).
I know there are tons of parameters involved but im just confused cause when its off it sounds like your snare but not when its on :( ?

Cheers.

oh oh oh and i was just watching Rhythmic Illusions DVD and in the first over-riding lesson you play an over-ride pattern in 5/16 with hits on 1 3 4 and rests on 2 and 5
im so excited because i inadvertently discovered that a couple of years ago and it was my first attempt at playing polyrhythms

i normally play that on the ride with my left hand playing notes 1 and 3 of a 4/8 pattern on the snare and legs playing bass hat hat in 3/8 :)
so its
legs - 3/8
left hand - 4/8
right hand - 5/16

i also like playing that with my right foot
and playing a 2 against 3 polyrhythm with my hands
sometimes i also fill in the empty spaces on 2 and 5 (of 5/16) with hat chokes
it adds a nice touch to that pattern

(im sure you already knew all of this, sorry couldnt contain my excitement)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Kalma

I have a question to Sound of Muzak from Arriving Somewhere and In Absentia.
Are the guitars played in the same way on Arriving as on In Absentia?
Because i Tried your fill at 3:11 in the In Absentia Version but it seemed not to fit.

yes you're right it has changed - but it was never 'written in stone' in the first place. What happened on 'In Absentia' was probably a lucky accident that the drums and guitars played those accents together. As you'll be able to tell - the drum fills are quite different between the two performances.

Hi drumbumhamza

Iv decided to become one of those Gavin wannabes and cut an old crash ride and convert it into a Gavin Bell. Will it be better if i just take the cymbal to a local drum manufacturer and get it cut? I believe they do that pretty often.

Yes good idea.

Will the pitch of the cymbal change after i cut it? not that it really matters though, but right now its B unlike any of my other cymbals.

I think so.

Also your snare sounds very deep low phat and crisp. I always thought one could get that sorta sound only with snares deeper than 6.5" but you manage to get that with 5". Howcome?

I don't really get on well with 6.5" deep snare drums. I find I can get the sound I want from a 5".

Finally, my snare seems to be tuned (and sounds) quite similar to your snare in Drop but that is only when its off. Once i put the snare on, it sounds crisp but thin and high. I was wondering if adding compression and reverb on a recording will do the trick because when i wear noise reduction earplugs it sounds a lot like your snare (ie deep low phat). I know there are tons of parameters involved but im just confused cause when its off it sounds like your snare but not when its on :( ?

As you may have already read - I use Puresound snares cut down to 8 strands - and they are on pretty tightly. Yes the right compression settings will help make it sound a bit thicker - reverb usually helps too. You are correct - there are so many parameters that would effect it.

cheers
Gavin

Ogg

Simply wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your playing on SW's amazing 'Insurgentes'. My fav' (so far) being the incredible 'NTWTCOTSun'...good stuff.

Lol@drumbumhamza's 'Gavin Bell' :) Copyright office here I come.

one-x_drummer

he is a great drummer...recently one of my favourite...his playing is great and he has a great sense of groove and "floating rhythm" {if you understand what i mean..}..and in the MD Festival he was perfect...

Gus

Hi Gavin

I think it´s time for a "Gavin Harrison custom signature snare" by Sonor ;-) Could be a good bussiness!!, or at least the end of questions about your snares :)) -just joking-

By the way, using the infinite SQ2 configurator, what should be ordered? A vintage shell snare without re enforcement hoops and rounded bearing edges?

Most of us are expecting for the second with 05.

Best regards and many thanks.

Gustavo

Paul Nasstrom

I just wanted to say that I really love Gavins drumming. And that Sonor-kit really sounds almost to awesome. Everything about it's so great (Snare, Toms and Bass).
My favourite drumtracks with PT/Gavin would have to be Nil Recurring, What Happens Now and The Creator Has A Mastertape. I just love it on Nil Recurring when everything goes quiet at 2 min and the drums come in. And the break five minutes in on Fear Of A Blank Planet. But honestly I can't think of one song with PT i don't like.

I also wanna thank Gavin for making making me wanna play drums in the first place and for still making me wanna play, progress and get better. When i'm listening to your music I just can't wait to get behind a kit.

I have some issues though with drumming that you maybe could give me a smart tip about. Some exersises or something, I don't know.
Well I have not been playing for very long. But one thing I find really hard is to keep the hi-hat going while im playing some groove on the ride. I find it really hard to do the same grooves between the kick, snare and ride when i'm playing the hi-hat with my foot. It would be really great if you had som tip or anything.

Peace out!