Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,
Congratulations on your readers poll from modern drummer. Wow, second year in a row for best progressive drummer, you must be doing something right :) Keep up the exciting work. Take care and God bless.

MM

p.s. Nil Recurring blew me away!

I have no plans to come to India at the moment - but I do LOVE the food.

cheers
Gavin
oh oh oh may be i can bring you some when i come for the 19th october gig :D

really stupid question
but if there was one place in a porcupine tree song wherein you could incorporate blast beats...where would it be ?

kheddar

Sup Gavin.

A couple of questions:

1. Your dynamic range and precision are amazing... those are things a lot of people don't always appreciate. Are there any specific exercises you would recommend that would help develop those skills?

2. Porcupine Tree's music has got increasingly rhythmically focused; how much of this is your influence, seeing as you're quite the polyrhythm/syncopation nut?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi daniele

I would like create a home studio in a little room in my house (16,5x8,7x8h foot). In your opinion, can i get to a good recording sound in a room like this,after acustic treatment? Thank you!

Yes of course you can. I don't think you're going to get a big ambient sound (with a room that size) - but with the careful use of digital reverbs it could sound really good.

Hi kheddar

1. Your dynamic range and precision are amazing... those are things a lot of people don't always appreciate. Are there any specific exercises you would recommend that would help develop those skills?

It's a hard question - just being very observant about your details certainly helps. Being in very anal studio conditions - and listening carefully makes you aware of a lot of your errors.

2. Porcupine Tree's music has got increasingly rhythmically focused; how much of this is your influence, seeing as you're quite the polyrhythm/syncopation nut?

I try to bring new rhythmic ideas to each album - some complex and some just unusual. If I can - I strive to play unique drum parts - and see if there are opportunities to experiment with rhythmic structure. I can certainly here my influence in some of the songs.

cheers
Gavin

mstjean

Is Drop available in any retail stores in Canada? I'm struggling from wanting to hear it now and wanting to have the liner notes.
...perhaps I will buy the download and the real deal and waaait for the shipment. :D

raguer

HI Gav how are you man¡¡

i need to learn about the polyrythms can you think the books from peter magadinis can help me? or i could move me direct to your books, i know just the basics but i want to study your books in a very deep perspective without so much problems in the way and maybe i need to lear somethings more before jump to this or what do you think?

and another one, can you tell me about the basic structure and the metric of your song
¡unsettled from album drop,

god bless u man

cheers
Raul Guereca,

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi mstjean

Is Drop available in any retail stores in Canada? I'm struggling from wanting to hear it now and wanting to have the liner notes.

As far as I'm aware - Drop is only available frrom www.burningshed.com (for CD and download).

Hi raguer

i need to learn about the polyrythms can you think the books from peter magadinis can help me?

I have one of Peter's books and I thought it was very good.

can you tell me about the basic structure and the metric of your song
¡unsettled from album drop,

If you look back through this thread or use the search function you will find a transcription of the start of "Unsettled". The song goes through a number of time signatures - but basically the beginning is 4/4 then it goes into 3/4 (or 7/16 & 5/16) then an implied 6/8.

Cheers
Gavin

XboxIsAGodToMe

Hey Gavin! Just a quick question...I recently picked up an S-Hoop for my snare, and it is amazing. So comfortable when doing rimshots, and I'm actually liking the sound I get with it as well. My question though, is do you have them on both the top and bottom of your toms and snare? I like the idea of having them on the top to protect the edges, and also if a muffling ring is needed, but I'm not sure if they're necessary for the bottom, except for looks. Thanks for the help!
Josh

kheddar

Thanks so much for playing Mother and Child Divided at Ruisrock!

I actually had quite a few people ask me whether I knew what the song was called because they hadn't heard it before and absolutely loved it. PT goes Meshuggah.

yamaman

Cheers and thanks for all the advice, entertainment and I know I speak for many, frustration!

I think I have downloaded or purchased just about everything you have done with PT, 05 Ric, etc.

My messages to you are;

Why no US tour? Especially to Boston (so you can visit the Zildjian plant, about 15 miles from me), I'll buy lunch!

And a note for your input about maturity and playing. I just read your quote on being disappointed if you are out to be the best drummer in the world, and thought that it was great advice. I was young a million years ago (I'm 43) and wish I had someone say that to me before I stopped playing for 20 years. Now that I have been playing again for about 9 months I feel that maturity has a big part in learning and paying attention to rudiments etc. I think I try harder to meet my goals and do it in a different approach to playing than I did years ago. Especially trying to play along the lines of your material. Your thoughts and more advice for the younger players out here.

Thanks for your artistry, you are by far the most creative musician my ears have had the pleasure of hearing!

Best-Jeff

e7z

Hi Gavin!
I saw you and all PT in Moscow in B1 Maximum club. It was magnificent. Great sound and favourite songs. I waited for autographes after your performance, wished to shake your hand, but have not waited. It is a pity. All the same, thanks huge to all PT for excellent evening. I hope you will arrive to Moscow once again.

Alex.

atman

Hi Gavin, I hope you are enjoying your tour this year.

I will began with my questions and thanks:

QUESTION 1: I would like to complete my drum kit with a new snare drum and I liked the sound of your snare drum from "Slipping Away" (part 2). As you may know it appears on the DVD Rhythmic Horizons. It is a black one with some S-hoops on it I think. Well, at first sight to me it appear like a Black Steel sonor artist snare drum but the design of this one doesn´t match with the one on this your song. What model of snare drum it is? Thanks for your support (you support all the fans with your answers :)

QUESTION 2: I would like to get a job as a drum player in a band so I can make a living, therefore I´m working intensively on my technique improving several aspects of it as usual. My question is a simple question about technique: When did you realize you couldn´t improve your technique anymore? I mean: how long have you been studying technique? do you still study it?

QUESTION 3: As a reference point, which advice you consider the best one for improvising over a melody? I know you´ve done it quite often. I think staying conscious all the time and internalizing the melody are important aspects, what could you add to it from your personal point of view?

QUESTION 4: What is Rhythmic Contortions? is it the intention to prepare another DVD with more material from you? When is it going to be out in stores? Any news about it?

Thanks for all your time answering these questions, for me it is something I must be thankful for. Thanks. See you 11th October in Barcelona, Spain. I will see you in concert, thanks for visiting Spain. Thanks for your job, very well done, superb.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi XboxIsAGodToMe

I recently picked up an S-Hoop for my snare, and it is amazing. My question though, is do you have them on both the top and bottom of your toms and snare?

I think they make the most difference on the top of the snare drum because of rimshots and that they hold O-rings so well. I do think there's a tuning advantage because of the rigidity of the hoop. I have them top and bottom on my main Sonor snare - and just on the top of quite a few of my other snares. I have them just on the top of the toms too.

Hi yamaman

My messages to you are; Why no US tour?

Do you mean with PT? We've been doing Euro festivals this summer - and we'll be doing a few concerts in October so that we can film a DVD. We've been around the US three times with the most recent album - and we'll be back (probably late next year or) whenever we have the next record ready to release and promote.

Hi atman

QUESTION 1: I would like to complete my drum kit with a new snare drum and I liked the sound of your snare drum from "Slipping Away" (part 2). What model of snare drum it is?

It's a Noble & Cooley 14x5 Alloy Classic. It doesn't have the S-Hoops on it.

QUESTION 2: When did you realize you couldn´t improve your technique anymore? I mean: how long have you been studying technique? do you still study it?

I've never thought I couldn't improve my technique more. I now work more on control than speed. I practise things to make them feel better in time - and that requires a lot of coordination and accuracy.

QUESTION 3: As a reference point, which advice you consider the best one for improvising over a melody? I know you´ve done it quite often. I think staying conscious all the time and internalizing the melody are important aspects, what could you add to it from your personal point of view?

I do a lot of singing to myself.

QUESTION 4: What is Rhythmic Contortions? is it the intention to prepare another DVD with more material from you? When is it going to be out in stores? Any news about it?

That sounds like some joke I've made in reference to my books - it doesn't actually exist.
I have no plans at the moment to make another DVD - I'm always having ideas - and when enough ideas build up - I usually make a CD, a book or a DVD - mainly for myself so I can get the ideas out - and give me back some hard drive space in my brain!!!

cheers
Gavin

skinner

Hello Gavin,
We have been having a big debate on another thread regarding the pros and cons of open-handed playing ( left hand on hats for a right handed player ).

Would you be so kind as to give any opinions or insight that you have ?

Have you ever tried it ? Any thoughts on why you like or dislike the technique ?
Do you agree with the common opinion that the "feel" will never be the same as right-hand crossover playing ?

I know that there is no one "right" answer that will apply to everyone - just trying to gather some opinions to decide if the potential benefit will be worth the cost, before I spend my valuable practice time learning the technique ( I have been playing cross-handed for about 15 years )

Thanks in advance !

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
Hello Gavin,

I have been trying to read through this whole thread but something caught my eye and I dont think its been asked yet,but from what I read.... In the re-editions of all the past P. Tree albums, have you guys remade "every" album with you replacing the old drum tracks? I was quite surprised that so many people had nt heard of the band until you we re featured here. I love all the old recordings and have been listening since about 1995 and even though there are alot of synthesized drum tracks they are still just great music. So are you remaking past greats as" Voyage 34" or "Signify" and all the others? I simply love the music and this would be nothing but great news. Hope all is well for you and please, keep it coming! Thanks. By the way I first heard P. Tree in '94 on "wsou-89.5fm...a college station from S. orange, NJ in the NYC area(Seton Hall). This station deserves alot of respect as they have supported all sorts of great artists through the years.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi skinner

We have been having a big debate on another thread regarding the pros and cons of open-handed playing ( left hand on hats for a right handed player ).
Would you be so kind as to give any opinions or insight that you have ?
Have you ever tried it ? Any thoughts on why you like or dislike the technique ?
Do you agree with the common opinion that the "feel" will never be the same as right-hand crossover playing ?

For a few years I tried to play left hand on my hi hat - and although I liked some of the ideas that came to me - I just couldn't make the time feel as good - and at the end of the day that's the most important thing. In 1986 when I played with Iggy Pop I made my own closed hi hat stand and put it on my right hand side (comfortably low where the floor tom would normally reside). It meant that I could play really fast 8ths punk tempos and still hit the snare drum hard. In 1994 I brought it back when I was with Level 42 (here's a badly focused photo)..

Gav L42 setup.jpg

I liked the way it made me feel in the 'open handed' way. I played about 3 or 4 of the songs in this position. I never liked having a remote hi hat way out on the right side because it hurt my arm after 5 minutes. I still do occasionally try playing left hand on the hi hat but 98% of the time I just play the traditional hi hat way.

Hi crdirtRider856

In the re-editions of all the past P. Tree albums, have you guys remade "every" album with you replacing the old drum tracks?

No, I just replaced some of the drum machine on "Up the Downstair" and a couple of loop replacements on "The Sky Moves Sideways". There's no plans to have me replace any of the other 'older' albums.

cheers
Gavin

Gus

Hi Gavin

I´ve been listening your first cd INSANITY & GRAVITY, and it´s a great job , in a different musical direction. I like the ethnical air of it all, violins, trumpets etc... Very nice music. The eight track, in a more jazz fussion direction, "bad news..." it´s simply amazing. Some piano parts reminds me Chick Corea Electric Band´s "eye of the beholder"...

I have to admit thar under you "bad" ;-) influence, i´ve bought and 12" oriental china trash!!! and it brought a fresh and funny touch to my old set of K´s (from 1988). Great influence anyway!. Thanks.

Best wishes
Gustavo.