Gavin Harrison here!

jdzzz

ahhh....
so why not experience the "real thing"
and yeah while you are enjoying your food,you can just play around the drums.
wat say..hehehe....
come on Gavin,
just for a day or two.
it will be a dream come true for many drummers here.
i still have to get over the fact that i am actually talking to you.
anyway,i wont persist much,but,in any case,just try to keep it there in your mind...
cheers.....
just one question..which band would you really like to play with for a day?
(apart from you own bands!!)

ZDrums24

Hello, and at this point, good late evening from the east coast of the USA. I'm new here.

I'm lazy and really don't feel like reading all 71 pages (much respect for answering all 71 pages of questions, by the way) and I have a couple questions regarding drum sound:
There is a nice little thread search in Gavin's signiture. It narrows down the 71 pages.

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
Hello Gavin,
1st of all , you are a credit to all pro-drummers out there.You are actually in touch with your fan base. I ve been spreading the joy since '02 , but no other drummer is quite as "accessible" as you... and you are quite the excellent player. With that being said- What challenges you these days?You have heard of the band Tool and have met Danny Carey and I am very glad that you can respect a band such as this but do you still get inspired by new acts? Who are your favorite band/players out today?And who inspires you? This has most likely been asked so to my next question...when you figure out your double bass patterns for any song.... how do you go about keeping it tasteful yet not going "overboard"? because you have a way of making it very "technical" yet very"tastefull" as I cannot get enough of it.Last of all- are there any plans of of you coming through America soon? With any band?

angelo

Hi Gavin
You remember how many holes venting has your snare sonor 8x4 and what kind of snare wire for this? have you a photo?
thank you very much I have realized this but has a vibration annoying that I can not eliminate
thank you very much
Angelo

Massimo98

Hi Gavin.

This is Massimo from Australia. I met you with my dad at the drum fest in Geelong. That was great. I am also happy about the autographed drum head. I wanted to know what kind of drums you had when you were a kid or how many drums or cymbals did it have ?. I have a Mapex m birch kit. It has 3 toms and 1 floor tom oh and a snare drum of course. I use zildjian 14 inch mastersound high hats, 16 inch zildjian avedis fast crash, wuhan 10 splash, stagg 10 china, zildjian zxt medium ride 20 inch and a 18 inch zildjian zht china.

regards Massimo

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi jdzzz

just one question..which band would you really like to play with for a day?

Steely Dan, Earth Wind and Fire ...anything with a deep sense of groove.

Hi crdirtdider856

With that being said- What challenges you these days?

Not repeating myself.

when you figure out your double bass patterns for any song.... how do you go about keeping it tasteful yet not going "overboard"?

As I've said many times I don't think of myself as a double bass drum player - and so I don't see a distinction between the bass drum or any other part of my set when it comes to setting the 'taste barrier'. I try to do things that I think are tasteful and 'hip' and try to avoid (what I consider to be) cliches. When I listen to a recording I've just made I'm always consulting my 'inner taste barrier' - and wondering if it's all a bit over the top.

Last of all- are there any plans of of you coming through America soon? With any band?

Yes I'll be playing in the US in August with King Crimson. See www.dgmlive.com for dates.

Hi angelo,

You remember how many holes venting has your snare sonor 8x4 and what kind of snare wire for this?

There is one hole in that drum and I have a custom Puresound snare on it.

Hi Massimo98,

I wanted to know what kind of drums you had when you were a kid or how many drums or cymbals did it have ?

My first set was an Ajax 24" 13" 16" with a Trixon snare drum. I think I had about 3 cymbals. It sounds like you have a really good set there.

Hi Kalma

what heads would you use for an 14*5 Maple Vintage Snare (Sonor) for top and bottom?,

Depends what kind of sound and style of music you're going for. I'd probably put a Remo CS on the top and leave the bottom as a 'Sonor medium' which is the same as a Remo Ambassador (snare side).

Hi DTrocks

I found this video of you at drummerlive 2008 today (amongst others):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OrtsYkTScg
My question is, do you know of any videos from that performance with a better sound (and picture) quality?

No I don't. I didn't even know that existed.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

Joe P

Hello, Gavin. Can you describe your in-ear mix? What are the levels of the parts of the kit? What are the levels of the parts of the band. And then, any click or loop levels. I'm with a nine piece group. I'm getting my loops on top of two other guys loops on top of sequences, horns, guitars and keys. Oh, and my drums. I'm have trouble putting everything in a good place. I find myself pulling people way down in my mix because it's obvious that they aren't listening to the loops and they're pushing and pulling me around.

Watching the live Porcupine Tree DVD, I was amazed by your playing and your sound but, more so by how relaxed you looked even on the heavier or busier tunes. Thanks for being amazing.

outu

heeelloo gavin!

i like to ask this question in last time so i want to ask you,
what question has never been asked and you really like to talk about, anything that comes in your mind can that be.

it would be interesting to know that.
thanks and have a goood day!
:)

stefan!

Gus

Hi Gavin

Back in DROP, i´m trying to learn the parts on LIFE, to me a song with a giant feel, and want to ask you about the part in 1:46, after the first chorus; i think you´re playing 5/8 really nice, but the hi-hat pattern (with many rolls in) confuse me. After a few bars you get back again to the 5/8 part, but now playing the ride cymbal with a more straight feel. Can´t reach it... any clue?

Many thanks as always.

"i´m not standing still
i´m moving"

Gus

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi shawnelsbernd

Hello, Gavin. Can you describe your in-ear mix? What are the levels of the parts of the kit? What are the levels of the parts of the band.I find myself pulling people way down in my mix because it's obvious that they aren't listening to the loops and they're pushing and pulling me around.

The mix I have going on in my ears are - all the drums (balanced as I feel I play them) plus a very clicky bass drum sound so I can hear the attack. I have reverb going on the snare and toms. Then behind me is a sub speaker that just has the low end of the bass drum in it. As for the rest of the band I have all of them in my mix too. On top of that sometimes there's a click playing that is louder than the mix of the band - but not deafening. There are moments when I can't hear the click just for a second or so because of all the noise that I'm making.

Yes I agree - if there are people in your band pulling your timing around - then turn them down in your mix.

Hi Gus

Back in DROP, i´m trying to learn the parts on LIFE, to me a song with a giant feel, and want to ask you about the part in 1:46, after the first chorus; i think you´re playing 5/8 really nice, but the hi-hat pattern (with many rolls in) confuse me. After a few bars you get back again to the 5/8 part, but now playing the ride cymbal with a more straight feel. Can´t reach it... any clue?

1:46 to 2:09 is the same as the verse 9/16

Life groove.jpg

- (but maybe with a few more open hi hats and accents) then there's a 3/8 bar rest followed by four bars of 15/16. Make sense?

Cheers
Gavin

MBruyere

Hi Gavin!

I've been really enjoying the album version of Futile lately and I was wondering if you could explain the intro, mainly from :20-:33. I feel I have very solid timing, from marching 4 years of drum corp, and there's not much I can't figure out, but that section is ridiculous! You're the man! Any plans on putting some PT transcriptions together in a book?

Marc

jasonrhcp

Gavin

Love your playing, and although I have your Books, they are difficult , but I am working thru them. Thanks for the inspiration.

J

heaven'stef

Hey Gavin,
happy birthday (altho I'm too late...), and thank for your great insperational work with PT. Absolutely love your stuff, keep up the good work.

Been reading this tread for a while, but wondered who your greatest influences were when you were a younger drummer, and who do you look up to nowadays? Also, as one of my all-time favourite drummers is Ian Mosley (Marillion), wondered what do you think of his work?

Sorry if any of these questions had come up before, I certainly didn't see them...

Cheers.

Kind regards

Stefan

NeuroAxis

Gavin -

I had a question about pedal selection. I know you use Axis pedals for most/all of your PT stuff, and I think I've heard that you switch out the beaters for heavier ones. I've considered using Axis before, as I am in a few metal bands that use lots of double bass and Axis are much better for that type of application, but the thing I didn't like about them is that when playing single bass groove I couldn't get a good thump no matter how much I layed into the pedal, it was just that same light, efficient touch that's good for playing double bass. Do you have this problem, or do you solve it by setting the beaters farther from the head or some other trick?

Just curious because I am thinking about saving my ankles some strain and switching over to Axis.

And thanks for taking your time to answer these questions for us.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi MBruyere

I've been really enjoying the album version of Futile lately and I was wondering if you could explain the intro, mainly from :20-:33.

It's all in good old 4/4

Futile metal bit.jpg

Any plans on putting some PT transcriptions together in a book?

Not at the moment - but I'd love to with the help of a good transcriber (Terry Branam for instance).

Hi heaven'stef,

Been reading this tread for a while, but wondered who your greatest influences were when you were a younger drummer, and who do you look up to nowadays? Also, as one of my all-time favourite drummers is Ian Mosley (Marillion), wondered what do you think of his work?

When I was young I listened to a lot of Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro. Also Stewart Copland, Billy Cobham, Simon Phillips, Steve Schaffer and quite a few others spring to mind. I'm not familiar with Marillions albums - but I worked on a record in the early 80's that Ian Mosley had played half of - and I was very impressed.

Hi NeuroAxis

I had a question about pedal selection. I know you use Axis pedals for most/all of your PT stuff, and I think I've heard that you switch out the beaters for heavier ones. I've considered using Axis before, as I am in a few metal bands that use lots of double bass and Axis are much better for that type of application, but the thing I didn't like about them is that when playing single bass groove I couldn't get a good thump no matter how much I layed into the pedal, it was just that same light, efficient touch that's good for playing double bass. Do you have this problem, or do you solve it by setting the beaters farther from the head or some other trick?

I set the beaters way back from the factory settings (and have the springs on reasonably tight) - for the same reason. I like to have good leverage and hit the bass drum hard. If it's set up for fast close playing - I don't enjoy playing simple kind of "1&3" on it (which is a vast majority of the time). It means that I have to work much harder when playing fast double pedal stuff. The old drummer from Opeth sat on my kit to try my pedals - and commented that he would die within a minute if he had to play fast 16ths on them. It all goes along with fact that I'm not really a double bass drummer - I just occasionally dabble with it.

cheers
Gavin

daniele

Hi Gavin,
I would like create a home studio in a little room in my house (16,5x8,7x8h foot). In your opinion, can i get to a good recording sound in a room like this,after acustic treatment? Thank you!