Garage sale find: Thoughts, opinions, and help wanted

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
While riding my bike about ten minutes ago, I came upon a garage sale with a snare drum. Of course I stopped. The snare was a steel Rogers Dynasonic, and it was sitting on some cases. Inside the first case was a white 16" floor tom with a Pearl badge. On the other side was a badge that read wood & fiberglass. The second case had an 18" floor tom, and the third had a 22" kick. All matching. There were no rack toms, but the kick had the tom mount. There was also a hardware case. Inside it I found numerous stands, a Ghost pedal, 2 concert toms (8" and 10") labeled Wesley, Wellesley, something like that. Never heard of them. There were also 4 cymbals, 2 NuVader hats, a Zildjian crash (probably an 18", labels were worn off) with a stamp that said "Zildjian" and "Istanbul" and also had a signature on the underside of the bell, and an unknown ride (looked about 22") that had rivet holes but no rivets, and no labels. The stamp said something close to Zildjian, but wasn't Zildjian (had less letters, stamp wasn't completely stamped). All the cymbals were in great shape and sounded incredible, even the hats. The guy was asking $125 for all of it.

I am not familiar with any of the equipment for sale, minus the names Rogers, Pearl, and Zildjian. For $125 I think it is worth it just for the cymbals. What do y'all think? Any help with info on these items would be greatly appreciated, as would advice on how to convince my wife this is worth it.

vipe155

Well, it seems that Rogers Dynasonic snares can go for more than $125 on their own. Sounds like a deal to me.

Magenta

Platinum Member
My knowledge of hardware is non-existent.

$125 isn't a lot of money, but if you have more important things to spend it on, then they really should take priority.

If you have a cast-iron case, your wife will see what you see. If she doesn't, then chances are you are missing something important.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Depends what you've got and what you want.

If you buy everything you see because it's cheap, you end up with a lot of stuff you don't use.
I'm not much for flipping gear. If you buy something intending to flip it and it doesn't sell, you can end up losing money that could have been used for something you'd like to keep.

Depends.

LOL

tamadrm

Platinum Member
If you have a Istanbul K ZIL,that alone can approach depending on age and stamp----250-2000.

The Dynasonic is COB,not steel,and also depending on age and originality 250 to 5-600.

RUN back there NOW,it's well worth the asking price.

Steve B

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Looks like I will be picking it all up tomorrow. The wife went and talked with the guy after she got off work and made arrangements for him to hold them for me until tomorrow (have to hit the bank first, they aren't open today.)

At this point I have no intentions on flipping anything. The only gear I currently own is a pad and some sticks.

I'll post pics when they are in my possession.

wildbill

Platinum Member
...The only gear I currently own is a pad and some sticks....

Absolutely then - go for it. You didn't state that in your first post. It could have been your first gear purchase, or your tenth roomful of gear - there was no way to know.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. Especially of the cymbals.

harryconway

Platinum Member
$125, now that's a steal.​
The wood/fiberglass Pearls, those are probably mid-late 70's. Finding a tom to match off eBay .... that's just a waiting game. There's some on eBay right now. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xpearl+wood+fiberglass&_nkw=pearl+wood+fiberglass&_sacat=0&_from=R40 And you could possibly re-wrap a drum to match.​
Ghost pedals are a little tricky, but if it works .... that's a good pedal. Lots of drummers replaced their Speed Kings, when the Ghost came out.​
For a guy who didn't have a kit, you just fell into a really good deal, I think.​

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
When you get the Dynasonic, just know it isn't a regular snare drum. It is a rather simple design, but some things go against conventional snare reason. Once set up properly, it is one of the most responsive snare drums ever made. It will have snare response right out to the edge at any playing level. And, it wont choke.

Pics are a must.

A DynaSonic does not use standard wires.

I would be glad to assist you with set up.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I'm excited about a few of these cymbals. the NuVaders aren't high-end at all but the others sound interesting. Pictures are absolutely mandatory! Congratulations.

The 18" sounds like it might be an old K. It could be a later model. The 22" ride sounds really, really interesting.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Absolutely then - go for it. You didn't state that in your first post. It could have been your first gear purchase, or your tenth roomful of gear - there was no way to know.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. Especially of the cymbals.
Absolutely.

Looks like I will be picking it all up tomorrow. The wife went and talked with the guy after she got off work and made arrangements for him to hold them for me until tomorrow (have to hit the bank first, they aren't open today.)

At this point I have no intentions on flipping anything. The only gear I currently own is a pad and some sticks.

I'll post pics when they are in my possession.
Wooo! Looks as if Mrs IP saw what you saw :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yeah, sorry. I've been kit-less for about 3 years now. A loooooong 3 years.

Ghost pedals are a little tricky, but if it works .... that's a good pedal. Lots of drummers replaced their Speed Kings, when the Ghost came out.​

I will for sure give it a go. If I like it I will keep it, but it will be replaced at some point with a double. I feel naked without one.

When you get the Dynasonic, just know it isn't a regular snare drum. It is a rather simple design, but some things go against conventional snare reason. Once set up properly, it is one of the most responsive snare drums ever made. It will have snare response right out to the edge at any playing level. And, it wont choke.

I would be glad to assist you with set up.
This is good to hear. I will for sure PM you if I have questions or need help with it. BTW it isn't a big R, it has a script Rogers badge.

I'm excited about a few of these cymbals. the NuVaders aren't high-end at all but the others sound interesting. Pictures are absolutely mandatory! Congratulations.

The 18" sounds like it might be an old K. It could be a later model. The 22" ride sounds really, really interesting.
I too am excited about the cymbals. I almost lost it when I saw the Zildjian, but had to maintain a ho-hum attitude just in case the guy changed his mind or price when I got excited.

Surprisingly the NuVaders sounded pretty good. Perhaps they have aged well.

Wooo! Looks as if Mrs IP saw what you saw :)
Nah, she just loves me and trusts that I know what I am doing. She knows nothing about drums and really doesn't care to either. God I love that woman!​

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Any Dyna-Sonic, despite whatever manufacturing changes were made between 61-84, is essentially the same drum. Set up of the snare frame, and the drum itself, will also be similar.

You are going to like this one.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Picked up the gear tonight. Lots of oldies (and I would imagine goodies), some better than others.

First and foremost, the Dynasonic. It's a 5x14, serial number 45482. It is dirty as hell, but the shell is really in good shape, no pitting at all. Some scratches and a little tiny dent, and I mean little tiny. It is missing a tension rod, oh well. The hoops have some rust on them, but I can get that off. It really is minimal.
Now for the bad, the snare frame is gone. It has been set up as a "normal" snare. I didn't know they had a frame until after I started researching the drum, so I didn't know to look for it when I first spotted it. Other than the frame, the snare is complete.

On to the cymbals. The Zildjian is 18", and has a barely legible "Medium" on the underside. The stamp says "K ZILDJIAN & Co", under that it says "ISTANBUL", and under that it again says "ZILDJIAN". Above the text there is some squiggly looking markings, and above that is a crescent pointed up with a star at the top. The words "MADE IN TURKEY" surround the crescent. As this is my first Zildjian, I know nothing about it. It also still has the cymbalsmith's signature, and is not worn very much at all.

The NuVaders are NuVaders. Enough said.

The mystery cymbal is 20" and has two rows of rivet holes. Each row has 12 holes, the first row is 3/4" from the edge and the second row is 1.5" from the edge. The rows are offset, so the second row is centered on the first row. The stamp says "EL" above "RAJAH" and that's it. It has a fairly dark tone and sounds really pretty. I would love to know what it is.

When I figure out how to get good pictures I will post them. I have no digital camera, and lost the USB for my phone. Perhaps I can email them from my phone to my computer, I dunno, but will figure something out. My computer takes crappy pictures.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
On to the cymbals. The Zildjian is 18", and has a barely legible "Medium" on the underside. The stamp says "K ZILDJIAN & Co", under that it says "ISTANBUL", and under that it again says "ZILDJIAN". Above the text there is some squiggly looking markings, and above that is a crescent pointed up with a star at the top. The words "MADE IN TURKEY" surround the crescent. As this is my first Zildjian, I know nothing about it. It also still has the cymbalsmith's signature, and is not worn very much at all.
Good pick up. Instanbul K's are quite coveted.

Matching the stamp might give you an indication of its era: http://robscott.net/cymbals/k-istanbul/