G.A.S. (GAS) Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a terrible thing.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
So the big question is: How much do you guys spend on your gear on average, each month?
On average, about $250. That includes smaller stuff, like heads/sticks/mallets, and bigger purchases, like timpani/congas/marimba. As it is right now, I typically spend around $3000 a year (for the last 4 years, consistently). I make a couple "big" purchases every year which brings me up to that $3000 total quickly, and it's great for tax write-offs. I actually went on a shopping spree in December 2008, because I *had* to spend $140 to bring me down to a lower tax bracket. Oh, the horror and misery of it all. ;)

Adam6890

On average, about $250. That includes smaller stuff, like heads/sticks/mallets, and bigger purchases, like timpani/congas/marimba. As it is right now, I typically spend around $3000 a year (for the last 4 years, consistently). I make a couple "big" purchases every year which brings me up to that $3000 total quickly, and it's great for tax write-offs. I actually went on a shopping spree in December 2008, because I *had* to spend $140 to bring me down to a lower tax bracket. Oh, the horror and misery of it all. ;)
Damn, I'm gonna have to start earning me some decent money / sell the car :p

last man to bat

lol, this thread cracks me up

I just tell Mrs Batster that I have always owned that snare and that she just hasn't noticed it before... never works though. The last purchase i made she rolled her eyes and said that while I'm spending £s on gear she's walking around in fraying bras... she has her priorities all wrong. Just take a look at that lacquer finish I tell her... she can't argue with that!

Adam6890

lol, this thread cracks me up

I just tell Mrs Batster that I have always owned that snare and that she just hasn't noticed it before... never works though. The last purchase i made she rolled her eyes and said that while I'm spending £s on gear she's walking around in fraying bras... she has her priorities all wrong. Just take a look at that lacquer finish I tell her... she can't argue with that!
Hahahahaha, brilliant :D

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Damn, I'm gonna have to start earning me some decent money / sell the car :p
I make the majority of my income from music, so I feel justified when I buy something that I'm going to actually use, especially since I don't make a major purchase until I *need* something. I hardly ever buy anything frivolously (but, sometimes I do...).

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Holy crap, I had G.A.S. REALLY bad for a while.

I still have everything I've purchased, except 2 cymbals I didn't really use for about 4 years.

I haven't purchased anything "unnecessary" in a while. Just heads, sticks and a part here and there to finalize (FINALLY) my ride placement.

I have 3 bands, so most of my gear is actually used, but there's a ton of cymbals, hardware, & a few snares NOT used most of the time.

I have 10 snares, but only a couple aren't used too often outside of the house.
With 3 kits up/used, there's not many extra toms/ft's on the shelf anymore either.

My "problem" was hardware, and making my own hardware "things" (which required more stuff and parts in order to do what I wanted) for a couple years.

A full set of DW heavy stuff in a bin not used on any kit, a set of nice Ludwig stands not used on any kit, Gibraltar 9600 set used on my sons kit, but a lot of extra Gib stands from that set-up.
For about 5-6 years I was not really a "stock" guy, and I modified a lot of stuff.

I had lots of fun doing it, but most of the stuff is not that "sell-able". What can you get for stands anyway? I wouldn't want to pay much for a used stand, so...I just keep it.

I did sell 2 thrones after I go new ones though!

I've been using the lighter version of DW's stands (single braced, flat based) on my kits for almost 2 years now--which is why the other stuff is sitting...

Cymbals DON'T COUNT as G.A.S. (for anyone!), since they're accumulated over time, and some work better than others in some situations. I do have 5 24" rides though--but they are all cool!
I mainly use a 24" ride, but on the back line kits I have to play on the festival gigs, a 24 usually won't fit, so I use one of the 22's.

Hardware, parts, extra arms (of different brands), etc... definitely count a G.A.S. though.

I haven't bought anything in a few months, and I don't see myself buying anything drum/snare related either. It's just become, "enough already" I guess, and I really love the stuff I have now anyway.

I actually have a small PA that I should get a couple bigger speakers for, but I'm not "into" PA gear---this is more a "being more self contained" than anything else because I don't really want to spend $$$ on a couple speakers, but it would be a good idea.