Fusion sizes

KijeraDrums

Would a setup of a 12 inch rack and 14 floor work as a metal setup?
I only have a fusion kit you see
also have a 20" kick

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
Yes, they'll work. You don't need massive drums to sound metal. Lots of metal drummers now a days are using smaller drums than the power toms from the 80's. Also, drums are so compressed and EQ'd that drums can't really sound like they do in recordings, so going bigger to get a lower sound doesn't have much of an affect anyway.

Hope this helps.

chaymus

All about the tuning. I have a 18" kick with considerably more bonham boom than my 22" right now. There's arguably a few brands that have very limited tuning range, but with the right heads I'd be surprised if even they can't have a 'bigger' sound. That's all for live, in recording basically anything is possible.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Would a setup of a 12 inch rack and 14 floor work as a metal setup?
I only have a fusion kit you see
also have a 20" kick
absolutely!!!!

drum sizes mean nothing....it's the drummer

rock it brother !!!

Jon B

No Way! Go big or go home! Square toms!
I'm just kidding :) , that should work fine, I use a 8 10 12 16 set up, none of them even close to square, it sounds gorgeous!

On a more extreme note, I know a guy that plays black sabbath and such on a 18" kick, 8" tom and 12" floor

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I've just moved to a fusion sized kit from my standard rock config and let me tell you - it lacks nothing!

The 14" FT has more presence than the 16" on my old kit ever did - it's all in the drums. Good quality fusion drums will sound bigger than lower end rock drums any day.