Funny thing happened on a gig last weekend

lsits

Gold Member
So I was playing and went to hit my right side crash. I wasn't watching and missed the cymbal, the stick went out of my hand, dropped straight down butt end to the floor tom, and bounced straight back up. I grabbed the stick and hit the cymbal on the 2 instead of the 1. The guitarist was looking back and saw the whole thing. I gave him a look like "I meant to do that". We had a good laugh.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Re: Funny thing happenen on a gig last weekend

That's a good thing, when you make a drop and recover by a little luck and a little skill. The little luck part helps a lot.

lsits

Gold Member

I was ready to grab my backup stick when the stick bounced straight back up. It was almost like it was in slow motion. I just grabbed it and kept on playing.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member

I was ready to grab my backup stick when the stick bounced straight back up. It was almost like it was in slow motion. I just grabbed it and kept on playing.
In dramatic moments of trauma, events often seem to move in slow motion. I've had it happen to me while flying over the handlebars on my bike and while snowboarding off of a cliff, but never while dropping a drum stick. Kudos to you for living right! :D

slowrocker

Silver Member

Sounds pretty cool. I had a stick bounce off the snare and hit me in the face. (don't ask) it did hurt really bad though.

Bretton

Silver Member
sometimes I let go right as I hit the floor tom and watch the stick fly up into the air, rarely somewhere I'm able to grab it again. Just messing around, wouldn't do that in the middle of a song.

ddrumman2004

I was playing a gig some years back....in the 90s.....when I went to hit my floor tom on a song we were doing and it broke almost half in two! I grabbed another stick to finish the tune then wondered where the other half of the stick went

Fearing it may have hit someone, my prayer was answered when I found it sticking in to the acoustic tile in the ceiling right over my floor tom! Stuck pretty solid as I remember.