Friends,Please Guide me

Ashok

This is a 68 yrs old fellow....Attending drums class for the past one year.
My teacher is asking me to appear for Trinity exam.
should I take up exams at this age? or continue attending classes &enjoy practicing ....& Relax. Please Guide me.

imtombstone

go for it !
what do you have to loose?
would this be the worst thing you ever did in your life?
im 50 and just started , in a year of playing i would ! ;)

Ashok

Oh !!! Thanks a Ton.....Skate,No Way Jose & Imtombstone.

For the past few months I was preparing for the grade exam
I lost all my happiness I used derive when playing the drums
Previously It was like playing & totally relaxing.

Of late It has become a serious stuff like studying something with deadlines to meet & all sorts of constraints....instead of interesting it has become taxing.

I am thinking of giving up the idea of appearing for the exam & start drumming & enjoying it without any deadlines to meet....what is your opinion?

my request is especially to Skate,No Way Jose & Imtombstone who considered my request & took their time to advise me....I value your advise hence please let me know...Thanks again...Happy Drumming.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If your goal is to play drums, make music to have fun and something is preventing that, get rid of it. Find another teacher that can put the fun back in it. The exam should be an indicator of your learning and not something to cause stress. Good luck with your continued drumming fun.

Icetech

Gold Member
I would do it for sure... worst case scenario is you play poorly. but at least you tried and won't say what if....

Dignan

Silver Member
Ashok,

I would follow through with the exam. If it doesn't go well, no big deal. If you decide that taking classes and having drum exams are killing the fun, then stop taking them after the exam and just play for fun. You may decide later that you want to take lessons again but there is a lot you can learn from the internet and drumming books alone.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I wouldn't be taking exams at any age, so, no. I'd be suspicious of someone oriented around teaching me to perform well on somebody's test, and would probably look for another, more creatively-oriented teacher.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
What is the most common reason most people take exams?

I don't really know, but I'm guessing it's because they want to make a career out of playing.

If that's true, but you're not looking for a career, then it's a totally optional thing that you either want to do or don't want to do. Kind of depends on your personality. Me I'd skip it, but it may bother you if you skip it.

Maybe ask yourself, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you want this exam.
Also, what are the benefits for you to take the exam. Do they justify the effort?
What are the consequences if you skip the exam?

tcspears

Gold Member
I've never heard of the Trinity Exam, is it like a certificate program at a university/conservatory?

Whatever it is, I think anything that works towards your education is a great idea. Even if you don't do well on the exam, you don't need to be discouraged, it will give you an idea of what to work on, with the exam being your goal.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I wouldn't be taking exams at any age, so, no. I'd be suspicious of someone oriented around teaching me to perform well on somebody's test, and would probably look for another, more creatively-oriented teacher.
I don't know about drum teachers but once upon a time I went to piano teachers and that's all they knew how to do.

I got tired of dry classical music and didn't enjoy reading off the page, I just wanted to jam. They threw their hands up and called me a bad student.

Now I look back I'm actually angry at one teacher in particular because he took my mothers money every week and would treat the lesson like a coffee break.

Ashok

What is the most common reason most people take exams?

I don't really know, but I'm guessing it's because they want to make a career out of playing.

If that's true, but you're not looking for a career, then it's a totally optional thing that you either want to do or don't want to do. Kind of depends on your personality. Me I'd skip it, but it may bother you if you skip it.

Maybe ask yourself, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you want this exam.
Also, what are the benefits for you to take the exam. Do they justify the effort?
What are the consequences if you skip the exam?
Wow !!! That's a great Idea
I will try that
regarding consequences
It is NIL.
I am 68
I drum for fun ... Nothing serious
your quote says it all
I want to have fun.
Thank you. Especially for 1-10 suggestion.

Ashok

I've never heard of the Trinity Exam, is it like a certificate program at a university/conservatory?

Whatever it is, I think anything that works towards your education is a great idea. Even if you don't do well on the exam, you don't need to be discouraged, it will give you an idea of what to work on, with the exam being your goal.
Yes !!! I agree... but should I lose having fun with music & learn something for the sake of a certificate which is not going to be helpful to me by any means?..In fact the drumming exercises where for more superior, challenging & exciting than these lessons .... or is it that I am trying to avoid the exams?....well.... you made me to see the things from another perspective.....Thank you. Yes!!! It is great Idea to work towards education...Thumbs up....Thanks a lot.

Ashok

I don't know about drum teachers but once upon a time I went to piano teachers and that's all they knew how to do.

I got tired of dry classical music and didn't enjoy reading off the page, I just wanted to jam. They threw their hands up and called me a bad student.

Now I look back I'm actually angry at one teacher in particular because he took my mothers money every week and would treat the lesson like a coffee break.
Pretty Bad Experience ....you went through
Did you learn the piano or not?
There are these type of teacher in every field
but ultimately they lose their pupil
isn't it?
but we can neither forgive them nor forget them.

mikel

Platinum Member
Personaly? No.....I learn new stuff so I can express myself more or better, a piece of paper would give me nothing more than, a piece of paper. Creativity and expression are my motives, not ticking off exam results. A band looking for a drummer wont be asking what grades you have.

opentune

Platinum Member
Personally I would not take this exam.
If you drum for fun, why bother with the stress of an exam?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Pretty Bad Experience ....you went through
Did you learn the piano or not?
There are these type of teacher in every field
but ultimately they lose their pupil
isn't it?
but we can neither forgive them nor forget them.
I lost interest when I discovered drums but with piano I believe I was stuck in a rut from playing nothing but classical. I didn't realize that until I learned trumpet and was encouraged to improvise and play blues.

I think my (perceived) failings on piano are probably driving my passion for drums.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Your teacher obviously thinks that you're capable of passing the exam, which shows that he or she thinks you play pretty well. That's great!

I went all the way through the Trinity syllabus up to Grade 8, but I didn't actually take any exams. I didn't want to be judged by somebody who was young enough to be my son/daughter, and I don't care about having a piece of paper that says I can play drums.

Ashok, do what you want to do, communicate with your teacher, and don't forget that you can always change your mind.