French Or German Grip

Witterings

Silver Member
I had a lesson the other day with a new teacher and whilst I've spent ages analysing if I bounce the sticks in each hand the same way and to same height etc and use the fingers the same amount I'd never looked at my grip more from the bigger picture.

I hold the stick with my thumb pushing the stick into the second joint of my finger and certainly for playing Hi Hat anyway more French grip and the stick bounces up into the heel of my palm near the wrist.
He wants me to move the stick down to the 1st joint and play more German grip so the stick then bounces more into the top of the palm towards the base of the fingers coming out in an almost parallel line with the knuckles.
Anybody any comments on which is right / wrong, I had 2 other teachers prior to this and neither commented on nor wanted to change my grip and at the moment it feels absolutely HORRIBLE and like I can't control the stick properly.

I was self taught for many years so know I developed bad habits but have been having lessons for the last 2 years. I'm not against change and working towards something if the reward is going to be there in the end but I feel it's two hundred and three steps back at the moment as opposed to 3.

I also wonder if it's aggravating and making sore my wrist (which I've never had a problem with before) on the under / palm side in the middle just before it reaches the hand.

Any input much appreciated !!!

droveto

Yes. And traditional too. :)
As long as you're focusing on a relaxed technique, any grip is good to learn.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Anybody any comments on which is right / wrong, I had 2 other teachers prior to this and neither commented on nor wanted to change my grip and at the moment it feels absolutely HORRIBLE and like I can't control the stick properly.
Both are right.

You're paying the man for his advice and experience. Give it time.

cprescott1972

Any new grip is gonna take a while to feel comfortable. I also like the 1st knuckle style grip. Although many different ways work and everyone is a little different. The think with the first knuckle is that is opens a pocket of space in your handle so you can use your fingers better to pull in finger strokes. Definitely feels better in more delicate playing. The second knuckle comes into play for me more when I am hitting harder. That's just what has worked for me.

Witterings

Silver Member
Cheers for the feedback, I was certainly going to give it a good few weeks at least.
Think I was just a bit concerned because it was so uncomfortable it's making me tense up rather than relax which I kind of guessed is the opposite of how it should be feeling and it's probably that that's causing the soreness in my wrist which I obviously don't want to develop into a a bigger problem over time especially as it's never been a problem before.
Thanks to all !!

droveto

If you're tense, there's probably something not quite right. You shouldn't have tension. Really focus on relaxing ALL of your muscles when doing the exercises. The free stroke exercises associated with the grip you're working on are huge thing to develop to open up your vocabulary.