Free Floating Snare Drum Questions

bodhran

Hi Folks, new to the forum.

I recently purchased a used 3.5" x 14" brass version of the free floating snare drum in very decent condition. I am undertaking a clean up project, which I have done before with other drums. However, the rather unique construction of this drum raises some questions.

After removing the hoops and the brass shell, I see what appears to be a white gasket between the brass portion and the diecast lower portion (see pic). What is the deal with that? gasket Is it standard?

If I can get help with this question I'll be off to a good start and will likely have more for you as I go along.

Thank you.

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

Is the gasket made out of felt or rubber?

There's nothing unusual about it. It's likely intended to isolate the shell somewhat from the rest of the hardware.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I've owned dozens of free floaters and the felt "gasket" is not necessary. Just there to prevent any possible vibration from shell to chassis. Some of my free floats have the felt ring and others don't. Never heard any vibration either way.

Scottie15

I own the same free floater but in 6.5”. The gasket is there to prevent vibration and unwanted noises associated with that contact. All pearl free floating shells come with a flat bottom to compensate for that gasket.

bodhran

I've owned dozens of free floaters and the felt "gasket" is not necessary. Just there to prevent any possible vibration from shell to chassis. Some of my free floats have the felt ring and others don't. Never heard any vibration either way.
Great information!
Any preferences in heads for your "free floaters"?
Thank you.

bodhran

After inspecting the gasket, I found it to be in good useable condition and so it will stay in place.
I am putting it back together now and will post a couple pictures when I'm all done.
Thanks all!