Freaking out!!!!

jazzin'

Silver Member
Well, this isn't really what you'd call a technique problem but it certainly effects my technique practice and I'm starting to get rather worried about it.

I've noticed, especially lately, that I've been getting quite bad joint pain in my thumb at the knuckle section. Now, before you say it, I can tell you that it's definitely not my technique itself or how hard I grip it because my grip with my thumb is absurdly loose. It also is painful away from drumming, if I'm gripping things or whatever. I did do massage (chinese massage or Tui Na as it's called) for many years as a side job and I'm starting to wonder if that has ruined my thumbs, but because I use trad with my left hand it isn't effected.

What I am freaking out about is that maybe it's the early onset of arthritis? Can anyone verify what it feels like and the major symptoms to their drumming if they've had it? If I'm getting it this early (I'm only in my late twenties), I'm worried it could literally ruin my playing career. I have never noticed it while actually playing but it has been getting quite bad recently in all my technique routine.

I'm trying to come up with ways of lessening even more the strain on it, but it is so little and has been for a long time that I hardly do anything more than simply rest my thumb on the stick, so I don't possibly see what else I could do if that is the case.

Who knows about prevention and what to do in terms of diet, what to stay away from in the sense of arthritis?

Argh!!!!!!! I can't be getting this!

aydee

Platinum Member
Left hand? both hands? I think if it was arthritis it would appear in more than one place. Best to get an Xray. Unlikely, given your age I suspect.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I think it's unlikely too. I was sure I was getting arthritis a while ago and the doctor thought it was possible from the symptoms. I had the scans and no spurs!

That was the good news. The bad news was that it was a soft tissue injury (tendinitis) and those injuries are incredibly persistent without rest. I was prescribed Celebrex, which is an anti-inflammatory that doesn't wreck your stomach lining. It take it when the pain is getting intense.

Definitely have a scan as Aydee said, the sooner the better. You can't know which kind of pain it is until you've had the X-ray. Good luck!

Duracell

Asking these kind of questions on an online forum is usually a bad idea. I think most of the people on this forum are not trained physicians and even if they were they would not be able to properly diagnose your conditions on your description alone. I agree with the previous posts. To ease your mind please visit a trained professional (see: doctor) he will be able to help you far better than anyone else here can.

Till then, calm down, relax and don't worry to much right now. You might be getting stressed out about nothing (even though I know how difficult it is to stay calm in your situation).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Boomka

Platinum Member
Well, this isn't really what you'd call a technique problem but it certainly effects my technique practice and I'm starting to get rather worried about it.

I've noticed, especially lately, that I've been getting quite bad joint pain in my thumb at the knuckle section. Now, before you say it, I can tell you that it's definitely not my technique itself or how hard I grip it because my grip with my thumb is absurdly loose. It also is painful away from drumming, if I'm gripping things or whatever. I did do massage (chinese massage or Tui Na as it's called) for many years as a side job and I'm starting to wonder if that has ruined my thumbs, but because I use trad with my left hand it isn't effected.

What I am freaking out about is that maybe it's the early onset of arthritis? Can anyone verify what it feels like and the major symptoms to their drumming if they've had it? If I'm getting it this early (I'm only in my late twenties), I'm worried it could literally ruin my playing career. I have never noticed it while actually playing but it has been getting quite bad recently in all my technique routine.

I'm trying to come up with ways of lessening even more the strain on it, but it is so little and has been for a long time that I hardly do anything more than simply rest my thumb on the stick, so I don't possibly see what else I could do if that is the case.

Who knows about prevention and what to do in terms of diet, what to stay away from in the sense of arthritis?

Argh!!!!!!! I can't be getting this!
Don't freak out. You may or may not have a serious problem, and you may or may not have to stop drumming. You could be suffering something much more benign, so relax and inform yourself so you can better understand what's happening. See a doctor if you're very concerned.

I've been living with a little mild arthritis in my right thumb joint for years. I'm in my mid-30s now, but the problem has been there off and on for a few years. It runs in my family, in fact. Unfortunately I got my mother's/grandmother's hands, right down to size and shape, in fact... Genetics... As for symptoms, it's a stiffness and an ache, not a "shooting pain" for me. I get a little in my middle finger second knuckle as well which seems to also be in the same are where I injured that finger many years ago.

I found that while the problem comes and goes, it was being aggravated by my technique on the ride cymbal a little. During uptempo passages I was putting ever-so-slightly more pressure downward with my thumb and doing this for extended periods might give me a little flare up. But, I've managed it so far without drugs or painkillers, and I find the best thing - for me at least - is to make sure I'm good and limber before I break into any fast tempos and watch that I don't do marathon practice sessions involving a lot of up-tempo ride work. Afterall, who plays at 300 BPM for 20 minutes anyway?

In the meantime, I started working on technique that doesn't require as much pressure from my thumb at the fulcrum, and now can play uptempo stuff for much longer without problems. However, it still flares up on it's own now and again.

There are different kinds of "arthritis", so go see your doc and they can help you diagnose and manage the problem if necessary. It could just be a little repetitive strain injury giving you discomfort. That way, a little time off might do the trick. Breathe, Relax, and go get yourself edumacated so you can stop the freak!

Last edited:

topgun2021

Gold Member
I wouldn't rule out an incident that happened outside of drumming. I severely sprained my index finger and couldn't grip a stick for a while. Still can't grip the stick the same after I sprained my finger.

diosdude

Silver Member
Osteoarthritis is very unlikely for anyone in their 20's. I started getting arthritis in my ankles and other joints though in my late 20's due to hyperurecemia (gout). That condition was due to my bad liver and over consumption of animal proteins and foods high in purines/ uric acids.I would suspect you have tendonitis, not arthritis. Instead of drummerworld.com try webMD.com, it's a free forum that real medical doctors consult with people with health concerns/ issues.

jivadayadasa

I have had what sounds like the exact same pain on and off for a while. Go to a doctor if you can but ultimately - physician know thyself...

I discovered that what I thought was bone related was more muscular and now massage therapy is what helps me most. I'm 43 and personally respond well to massage. Try it out, I bet you'll get some relief.

Please let us know what works for you and good luck!

Big Foot

Silver Member
I blame any & all my joint pains on everything but my drumming...

Any hand pain I've experienced was the result something other than the drums. My computer was and is a big issue for me.

Definitely look at other stuff if this pain is new and came on suddenly.

jazzin'

Silver Member
Thanks folks. Yeah, don't worry, I'm not actually freaking out. I just thought the title would make things a little more exciting and I thought some people here might have experienced similar symptoms.

It has been there for some time now and is an aching, dull sort of pain that can get quite severe, to the point that just moving hurts. It no doubt is a muscle thing and yes, I will be getting it checked out.

Goddamned hands! Who needs 'em?