Found a Gretsch Renown '57 in Music City Black

MattTheSasquatch

So a bit of a backstory (I'll keep it short).
Early this year moved into the Cincinnati/Dayton area. A couple weeks ago I was on my way to try a new and local food joint when I passed a music shop that looked like a pawn shop. I felt compelled to go in, so I did. Sitting in the back of the shop floor was this near mint Gretsch Renown '57 in Music City Black. Had some dust from apparently sitting, but the shells and finish we're immaculate. Instantly asked for a price, gave me a very good price on it, and told them I'd be back and got cash.

The reason why they had it and at a very reasonable price... The original owner is somewhere down here in a hospital fighting cancer, and apparently isn't going to make it much longer. He opted to have his kids sell all of his music gear and this was one of the pieces he had. Whoever you are that had this kit, know that it's in good hands and will be taken care of. If I can find out who it is, I would love to meet him before he passes.

Now onto the specs:
This is the standard "rock" configuration of 22x18 Kick, 10x8 Rack, 12x9 Rack, 16x16 Floor, and 14x6.5 Snare. Only thing I don't have is the matching Gibraltar throne. The kit still had the original heads that came on the kit, but I updated them, keeping the same models (I opted to put a coated Emad on the kick instead of clear, I like the looks better). G1 Coated on all the toms and snare, reso's are still stock. The kick port and porthole was done by original owner (but I'm not complaining).

It sounds as good as it looks, and has been my favorite kit to play. I don't see this ever leaving my collection.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Beautiful, I love this kit and almost bought it when it was on the market. Brand new it was expensive, so I hesitated a long time, and never purchased.
Sad story though.

MattTheSasquatch

Beautiful, I love this kit and almost bought it when it was on the market. Brand new it was expensive, so I hesitated a long time, and never purchased.
Sad story though.
I believe at one point they went on clearance for just under 1 grand. Now on the free market, I've seen some listed as much as 3 grand.

Darth Vater

I had an Onyx kit just like that. Excellent sound but probably the heaviest kit I've ever owned. I sold it at a bit of a profit. ;)

SirSwingsAlot

There is one of these on my local Craigslist Right now for a steal with super odd sizes

Bd: 17x18
Rack:12x9
Floor:15x12
Snare:7x14

I’m super torn lol

I think I’m just gonna build a Frankenstein kit out of Gretsch shells

Tamaefx

Silver Member
There is one of these on my local Craigslist Right now for a steal with super odd sizes

Bd: 17x18
Rack:12x9
Floor:15x12
Snare:7x14

I’m super torn lol

I think I’m just gonna build a Frankenstein kit out of Gretsch shells
Are you sure about the sizes ? If I recall correctly, there were only two kits available for the 57’ : rock (22 10 12 16) or bop (18 12 14). No add-on.