For those searching for new drums

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm wondering if we could put a sticky up for everyone searching for a new set of drums. Alot of people ask the question and we all answer, and some people even take the advice, and we're good-natured about it.

But could we just state for the record that if you are again getting on your drum playing journey, or beginning your journey, and you have a certain budget, that four things you will buy are:

1) Drums
2) Heads
3) Hardware including throne
4) Cymbals

And the smart thing to do would be to budget the most for the cymbals. Those are the things you will play the most, and the instruments that you can't make sound better if you have sub-standard ones.

I apologize to my brethren here who believe in getting good drums, and also to those who like the sound of intermediate cymbals. But at the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon, yes, you can make any drums sound good with pro heads, and even if you do like the intermediate cymbal packs for a time, you will eventually invest in better ones - I haven't met a pro yet who's out there playing Sabian B8s, or Paiste 102s (or insert any manufacturer's mid-line packs here).

Not that I want to discourage people discussing gear or anything, but we tend to answer the same questions over and over, so it's almost like our community could use a "Drum Set 101" FAQ to be used like a primer. Perhaps a FAQ could be made up for our eKit brethren as well. There's alot of basics that could easily be laid out without hawking certain brands, it's just an attitude shift that I think will help alot of people who either don't know what they need (like parents buying for their kids), or know what they want but don't know how to allocate the funds among the four requirements.

But then again, I understand we're all cool and not everybody's path is the same, nor should it be, but I look at it as saving people a certain amount of heartache when they do things a little off and end up spending more of their hard-earned dollars because of these mistakes. What do you guys think?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
So long as it is completely void of brand names (even by way of example), and specifically aimed at those starting out/re-entering playing, it could have merit.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
FWIW, I think it's a good idea, I just don't think it'll be of much benefit. After all the recent endorsement threads, I thought about suggesting revamping the sticky section to include things as varied as selecting a first drum kit or cymbals, to finding a teacher and why it's beneficial to take lessons early, all the way through to things like Bermuda's endorsement FAQ and many other questions that get raised often.

In the end I decided it was bordering on futile.......as the majority of people asking "high traffic" questions obviously don't search anyway. If they did, they'd find the answers have already been provided.....several thousand times over.

The answer are there, those that search find them and have no need to start another thread on the same topic that was asked 5 mins earlier......those that don't search, clearly won't see them anyway.

baz

Silver Member
In the end I decided it was bordering on futile.......as the majority of people asking "high traffic" questions obviously don't search anyway. If they did, they'd find the answers have already been provided.....several thousand times over.

The answer are there, those that search find them and have no need to start another thread on the same topic that was asked 5 mins earlier......those that don't search, clearly won't see them anyway.
I think a lot of the people that post these threads do so in order to start a dialogue rather than be burried in one.

When I first started on these drum boards, the "what sticks do you use " threads were always pretty decent ice breakers. As an old timer though, I can see how these hundreds of ice breakers eventually give a person a little brain freeze.

Barry

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Probably right on all counts, it would be futile and enlightening depending on the person. I know on one photography lighting blog, the author just flat-out tells you what you need to proceed and everyone gets along with it. I suppose on a drum forum maybe you can't do that because there's so many different ways to get where you're going. Perhaps I'm just trying to save people who don't want to be saved ;)

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I think a lot of the people that post these threads do so in order to start a dialogue rather than be burried in one.

Barry
+ 1 on this.

Maybe I don't get it, but I've done searches for specific things I was looking for only to be completely consumed by every thread and post that contains the "key words" I was searching for. Sometimes it's just easier to start a new thread.

Putting those basic questions into a sticky is a great idea. I can't tell you how much I've learned on this site. All the info provided by every contributing member is invaluable, but maybe it needs to be catalogued somehow.

I can see this becoming a potentially huge project.

Last edited:

Toolate

Platinum Member
THis is a great idea in theory but you (we) are thinking that the average person on here understands what a sticky is or how a forum even works. Might catch a few though and cut down on the what kit threads.

I think its a good idea-