Foo Fighters Hiatus

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Hey everyone . . .
Dave here. Just wanted to write and thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for another incredible year. (Our 18th, to be exact!) We truly never could have done any of this without you . . .
Never in my wildest dreams did I think Foo Fighters would make it this far. I never thought we COULD make it this far, to be honest. There were times when I didn't think the band would survive. There were times when I wanted to give up. But . . . I can't give up this band. And I never will. Because it's not just a band to me. It's my life. It's my family. It's my world.
Yes . . . I was serious. I'm not sure when the Foo Fighters are going to play again. It feels strange to say that, but it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It's one of the reasons we're still here. Make sense? I never want to NOT be in this band. So, sometimes it's good to just . . . put it back in the garage for a while . . .
But, no gold watches or vacations just yet . . . I'll be focusing all of my energy on finishing up my Sound City documentary film and album for worldwide release in the very near future. A year in the making, it could be the biggest, most important project I've ever worked on. Get ready . . . it's coming.
Me, Taylor, Nate, Pat, Chris, and Rami . . . I'm sure we'll all see you out there . . . somewhere . . .
Thank you, thank you, thank you . . .
Dave

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Just finished reading that in the local press today. Here's hoping he finds the time for another Them Crooked Vultures album and tour, while he's at it.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I think it's great that he's smart enough not to run it into the ground. They just had a really strong and very successful record and tour that's taken the better part of two years out of them. I'd want a break, too! No reason for him to phone it in with the Foos when he can go off and do another project or two and come back to it later fresh-faced and ready to go.

opentune

Platinum Member
Dave Grohl is true to his art, a very real guy.
I'm looking forward to Grohl's Sound City documentary. Apparently he bought and removed the tube mixing board there.
I've been reading Neil Young's recent autobio and apparently he has the "Green Board' also all tubes/analog, on which many famous albums were recorded/mixed (Pet Sounds...etc).

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I think Grohl's probably just too busy counting and/or rolling around in his $225,000,000.

Wish I had that problem... I'm saving up for a new Ambassador for my snare right now!

Cheers!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's great for those guys. To be honest, I was really surprised when they came out and Dave was the front man guitarist. I didn't even think of him as more than the drummer for Nirvana. Then I saw them open for the Police at Dodger Stadium back in 2007 and they put on a great show. I wish I could tell Disney, "hey, I'm gonna take a break for a while, but I'll be back when I want to come back".

Rock on, Dave ;)

bigiainw

Gold Member
While i'm looking forward to the next Foo's album, I'm actually very pleased. I saw some footage from a recent gig in Brazil and Pat and Nate in particular looked tired and bored. I wondered if they would survive, so good on you guys, have a good break and then write some more killer songs!

PDL

I think Grohl's probably just too busy counting and/or rolling around in his $225,000,000.

Wish I had that problem... I'm saving up for a new Ambassador for my snare right now!

Cheers!
I saw him drumming for Scream in about 1986-87 in Manchestet UK to about 50 people max, so good luck to him he has been at it 30 plus years

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
He (and the rest of FF) deserve a break. Incredible live shows and a great Wasting Light album, I think.

I also think it's a great strategy - if and when they decide to return off hiatus, if they can put out another high-caliber album and setup for another tour, there will be millions of FF fans just ready to jump in and buy and attend.

Just don't make it too long Dave ;-)