Foam or blankets?

drumr_102

My band built a 16' by 16' room to practice in out of wood and need to do something about the acoustics...

What's the cheapest way of doing this? I've seen people use uhaul blankets and also egg crate foam and regular foam.

Thanks!

Homeularis

Gold Member
Carpet works great.

Go to all your local carpet stores and check out their dumpsters.

Use only the new carpeting and use sturdy gloves to grab the carpeting.

There are sharp staples in there, and who knows what else. :/

A

audiotech

For more control of the indoor acoustics, blankets will give you better results than regular foam or egg cartons. Depending on what's in the room, you'll need something to control the slap echo.

Dennis

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My band built a 16' by 16' room to practice in out of wood and need to do something about the acoustics...

What's the cheapest way of doing this? I've seen people use uhaul blankets and also egg crate foam and regular foam.

Thanks!
Is this a structurally sound room? I mean, it's not just nailed together plywood sheets, yes?
I'm picturing Steve Martin's house in The Jerk....

I would think if it was a room built to code, it would essentially be double-walled with insulation between the sheets?

drumr_102

Carpet works great.

Go to all your local carpet stores and check out their dumpsters.

Use only the new carpeting and use sturdy gloves to grab the carpeting.

There are sharp staples in there, and who knows what else. :/
Awesome idea. Thanks! We went and got some tonight and are piling on as much stuff as we can find

drumr_102

Is this a structurally sound room? I mean, it's not just nailed together plywood sheets, yes?
I'm picturing Steve Martin's house in The Jerk....

I would think if it was a room built to code, it would essentially be double-walled with insulation between the sheets?
It's not to code at all...It's plywood and 2x4s.

It's sole purpose is to hold "soundproofing" materials so the neighbors can't complain and to improve the acoustics for us.

We're not even looking to make it pretty really, just functional.