Floor Tom tuning tip.

Old Dog new Cans

LOL. I just watched this last night. Seems like a nice fix----but honestly, I'm just using a moon gel or similar. I love John Goode's work, but I'm not going to NOT put something on the head that I want, just because it may give him indigestion! 🤢

bud7h4

Silver Member
That's really interesting. I'll bet specialized FT legs for this purpose would sell well. There's also the cotton ball trick.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
You can ground the shell by removing a leg tip as well. The upside down straight leg takes the angle and flex out of the equation, but it's close enough and you don't lose height.

Good thing to know if you had to react quickly without having any other stuff around you. Not that it happens very often, but just to keep in mind ;)

picodon

Silver Member
Wow!
Another alternative is a pile of rockwool (or towels or a blanket) placed under the FT. Without touching the bottom head it eats up some of the resonance.

V-Four

…….. There's also the cotton ball trick.
+1. The cotton ball dealio is my preferred method as well. keeps all the attack/tone/volume of the drum hit, yet settles it down quickly (how quickly depends on the amount of balls.)

T.

I caught that one yesterday. Some videos have great info, but are just to long! This was short, sweet and to the point.

I have to believe they came up with this idea by accident. One day they happened to set up their FT and accidentally put a leg in upside down and then realized how it grounded the shell! I mean, who would think this up intentionally? Lol

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang DW goes to all that trouble to make them toms sing and they do that. Other companies offer special rubber feet to help them sing. It's a helluva thing. TBH listening through laptop with hearing aids I couldn't tell any difference between the two-yeah a helluva thing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Conversely, if you have the opposite situation on a backline dead floor tom...a square of dense foam under each leg greatly increases sustain. I use my shoes if I don't have any foam because I play in socks. Foam is light and easily carried. The shoes definitely help, but 3 squares of foam is a quick cheap easy fix.

I used to practice with a band that had a vintage Sonor set of drums (read sounded sooo bad). I lifted the floor tom off the floor and hit it...whoa. I put it on the floor and hit it again and eww, so bad. So I used a shoe under 2 of the legs to increase sustain length.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang Larry I never knew you played barefoot-I do to-so does Gruntersdad. My dogs can't breath with them shoes on. I like the shoe idea-I usually wear sandals so I guess they'd work the same. So learned two quick fixes the shoe and leg flip.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I generally yoink the boots off of my FT leg(s) when I need to do achieve this.

It's nice to know that a method exists that forces me to completely re-jigger the position and alignment of the drum and eats up 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Dang Larry I never knew you played barefoot-I do to-so does Gruntersdad. My dogs can't breath with them shoes on. I like the shoe idea-I usually wear sandals so I guess they'd work the same. So learned two quick fixes the shoe and leg flip.
Yea Art, I play heel down in socks, because even I can't stand the look of my own feet, and if I wear one, the shoe hits the pedal uprights and chain. Plus heel down it's more weight to pivot up. Same with heel up which I also do sometimes, less weight to suspend. I use my toes a lot which get lost in a shoe. So no shoes for me. But plenty of socks.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I have three ball bearings that I can shove into the hole of the Pearl floor tom legs that will do that.

yammyfan

Yea Art, I play heel down in socks, because even I can't stand the look of my own feet, and if I wear one, the shoe hits the pedal uprights and chain. Plus heel down it's more weight to pivot up. Same with heel up which I also do sometimes, less weight to suspend. I use my toes a lot which get lost in a shoe. So no shoes for me. But plenty of socks.
That describes me to a tee. Shoes always seem to creep up and hit the chain and rob me of power, too.

A small problem for me is that one of my bands plays a lot of outdoor shows, right through until early October. It gets cold at night up here in Ontario during autumn so playing in socked feet becomes a bit of a hardship.