fixing bent wood hoops?

opentune

Platinum Member
Is there a method to bring older bent wood bass drum hoops back into round? I have two on an older vintage drum, not sure how they got that way. The bend is focussed in one location, like where the pedal would have connected.
(I don't feel like buying new ones.)

Nickropolis

I'm sure some of the guys who actually make drums would be able to say whether or not there's a good method for this...I don't think it would be worth your time and effort to try and get them back into any sort of shape resembling round.

Does it affect tuning or just where the pedal sits? You maybe could get one of those rubber pads that prevents damage from clamping pedals and cover it up.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I'm sure some of the guys who actually make drums would be able to say whether or not there's a good method for this...I don't think it would be worth your time and effort to try and get them back into any sort of shape resembling round.

Does it affect tuning or just where the pedal sits? You maybe could get one of those rubber pads that prevents damage from clamping pedals and cover it up.
Agreed. You can buy a brand-new wood hoop for not too much money.

opentune

Platinum Member
No it doesn't affect tuning and is exactly where the pedal sits. I know I could buy one, but if I can fix it why buy, and learn a little something. I'm kind of anti-excess-consumption.... one of the reasons I buy used older things. lol