Fixing a small crack in my china

belairien

Silver Member
Noticed a small crack forming in my china. I don't use it much, and don't feel like buying a new one. It's on the inner bow.

It's small, and kind of spider webbing, looks like something impacted it at some point. Ot about half an inch in diameter.

Think a step bit should suffice? I only ever hit and choke the edge, so playing surface isn't affected. At least with a step, it will allow me to size it easily, and bevel it for easier filing.
20190719_235358.jpg20190719_235409_HDR.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That's exactly what a step bit is for, drilling holes in thin metal. A regular bit has lands and grooves that run the risk of catching once the tip breaks through. It could break the bit or twist the drill in your hand and potentially hurt your wrist. Step bits are good stuff.

belairien

Silver Member
That's exactly what a step bit is for, drilling holes in thin metal. A regular bit has lands and grooves that run the risk of catching once the tip breaks through. It could break the bit or twist the drill in your hand and potentially hurt your wrist. Step bits are good stuff.
Cool. I will drill it in the morning then.
I usually use them on fx enclosures, should be a piece of cake :D

belairien

Silver Member
Easy peasy. Practically didn't even need to file or sand, but I hit it with some fine grain sans paper.
20190720_132338_HDR.jpg