First proper gig - report

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
Madge,every gig is a good gig,as long as you don't panic if you drop a stick, and knock over your kit,sprint off the stage,knock over a girl,get punched in the face,all while wearing a cape.:):)

Glad it all went well.Brava:)

Steve B

...AND send your mom to pick up your drums. ;)

Magenta

Platinum Member
Madge,every gig is a good gig,as long as you don't panic if you drop a stick, and knock over your kit,sprint off the stage,knock over a girl,get punched in the face,all while wearing a cape.:):)

Steve B
I couldn't possibly compete with that!

Thanks, Steve :)

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Steve B

Magenta

Platinum Member
No problem! The bug will bite hard, be prepared to have withdrawal symptoms from gigging for the rest of your life! :)
I've threatened Mr Madge with a T-shirt with "Roadie" on it.

High five and congratulations!

Snare wise, welcome to the next set of live playing joy. Even if you rock up with your beloved favourite snare, lovingly tuned the night before and given a check at the venue, once you walk on stage the unique sound of the room and the sound on stage can suddenly make your snare sound and feel like you've never seen it in your life before!
Thank you, and good point: I was ready for the kit to feel and sound odd because of course it wasn't mine, but when I do play my own kit, I'll try not to expect it to feel and sound the way it usually does.

There'll be something in the Your Playing section in a minute ;)

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
High five and congratulations!

Snare wise, welcome to the next set of live playing joy. Even if you rock up with your beloved favourite snare, lovingly tuned the night before and given a check at the venue, once you walk on stage the unique sound of the room and the sound on stage can suddenly make your snare sound and feel like you've never seen it in your life before!

Add to that the fact that sometimes you get a little adrenaline flowing and your hands won't stay quite as loose as you'd like and et voila, the realisation - thats why we practice so much, so that dealing with the unknown elements we can still cope.

Welcome to the club, playing live music is the best feeling in the world, bar none!

Magenta

Platinum Member
Well done Madge, not familiar with your musical journey being a fairly new member, but really happy that your first gig went well! :)
I appreciate it all the more that you've taken the trouble to reply and to be pleased for me - thank you :)

BFrench501

Well done Madge, not familiar with your musical journey being a fairly new member, but really happy that your first gig went well! :)

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
I'm late to the show as usual, but I'm tickled things went well. Or, to quote someone I know, I'm chuffed to bits!

Very happy for you, Madge.

Magenta

Platinum Member
The word you're looking for is "BADASS".

:-D
I do believe you're right. I shall have to practise saying it!

Pretty classy looking first gig Madge. Glad to hear you were basically happy with yourself and you didn't get all over yourself. Any recordings??? You did record it didn't you??? Well did you??? Pink?
Haga - nice one, Lar! Yes, it was recorded but it hasn't been published yet so I don't have a link.

Very cool! Happy to hear it went so well. First gigs can be nerve-wracking, but having a hospitable environment can make it a positive experience.
Thank you! They were so lovely to us, it made me feel safe.

Far out Madge, first real gig and you're in a Sheila E type sparkly number - how glam!

Congrats on the gig. Love the stage setup. You look completely at home on your Ringo riser.
I felt at home. Mind you, it wasn't really me: it was the Hon. Magenta Stardust Reinhardt in action.

CONGRATS! As we say over here ATTA GIRL!

I am far from a drum expert but your kit looks very familiar - are they Catalina Maples? If so I have the same drums and love them! If not they are still beautiful looking drums.

Mike

EDIT: Just read the other post where you indicated that you did not like the drums.... I am such a goof. Experts please explain to this newb how the kit is poorly set up.
I was so excited to play a Gretsch. (Wished somebody had consulted about the colour though ...) I didn't mind the set-up although I have my toms flat. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the snare, and I don't know why it felt the way it did.

Congrats Magenta! Sounds like it was a great day and good experience!
Looking good too!

Can totally relate to the 'not' dropping the stick part... Or more like 'not throwing sticks' accidentally in random directions... :)

So what did you guys play?
Any recordings you can share?
Haha, yeah, stick-throwing ... Why do you think I wore my glasses?!

We play sparkly versions of familiar songs. Our set included "Sway", "Still In Love With You" and "I Was Made For Loving You".

ETA there you go, Larryz!

Last edited:

WaitForItDrummer

Congrats Magenta! Sounds like it was a great day and good experience!
Looking good too!

Can totally relate to the 'not' dropping the stick part... Or more like 'not throwing sticks' accidentally in random directions... :)

So what did you guys play?
Any recordings you can share?

M

Mike_In_KC

CONGRATS! As we say over here ATTA GIRL!

I am far from a drum expert but your kit looks very familiar - are they Catalina Maples? If so I have the same drums and love them! If not they are still beautiful looking drums.

Mike

EDIT: Just read the other post where you indicated that you did not like the drums.... I am such a goof. Experts please explain to this newb how the kit is poorly set up.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Far out Madge, first real gig and you're in a Sheila E type sparkly number - how glam!

Congrats on the gig. Love the stage setup. You look completely at home on your Ringo riser.