First pictures - Guru Origin series - Drummerworld exclusive!

sidekick

Well I'm only three months late to this dance, but wow man.....absolutey stunning! I would sure like to see them up close. Will you guys be at NAMM this next year?

T

The Old Hyde

OK, all of my other attempts have failed to anger Andy so I will try this.....I Hate your badges!!!!!! Take that!!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
In case I haven't said already, those are some BEAUTIFUL drums Andy!..you and the others at Guru should be proud!..I'm sure they sound great as well...
You are very welcome.........I'm sure the placement and environment could make or break sales over here............especially "high-end" items like you have.

.............I'd just like to actually sit down and play one........I'd bet they sound even better than they look
Thank you guys. Here's a short clip of David (forum member, Kalma) playing the little lightweight steam bent ash classic kit in our demo room at the London Drum Show. Recorded on a Zoom Q3 handycam recorder. Put on good cans, & note the power in that little 12" deep bass drum! better recordings out in a couple of weeks :)

http://youtu.be/Z5Me0gBUGTo?hd=1

longgun

Gold Member
Thank you for your kind words. The short answer is yes, we are seeking distribution, but I'm not sure how or when that will happen. We're concerned about margins inflating an already high sales price, & especially the environment our drums are displayed/demonstrated in.
You are very welcome.........I'm sure the placement and environment could make or break sales over here............especially "high-end" items like you have.

.............I'd just like to actually sit down and play one........I'd bet they sound even better than they look

scorch whammin

Gold Member
In case I haven't said already, those are some BEAUTIFUL drums Andy!..you and the others at Guru should be proud!..I'm sure they sound great as well...

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
That cappuccino kit is absolutely gorgeous! I can't help thinking how much sweeter it would look if it was ALL Guru hardware....stands and everything. The design of the lugs alone makes me wanna see hardware with that style.

Those are beautiful drums. Makes me wish I had gone to London.
Thanks Mikey:) Lugs, bass drum & floor tom brackets + spurs/legs are all aluminium Guru bespoke & made in the UK. So, everything that's physically attached to the drums. Might go our own way on the suspension bracket too, not sure yet. We'd love to do pedals & stands too, but the setup costs for the Origin hardware was cripplingly expensive as it is, to go the whole way with stands, etc, would cost a fortune. We'd need real volume to make that happen, & we just can't see it. I'd love to produce a range of aluminium stands, but I doubt many would pay the price.

All current manufacturers make/sub contract their hardware in Asia, irrespective of who they are, with the exception of a few guys who make in their own country, & even then, it's limited to lugs.

mikeyhanson

Silver Member
That cappuccino kit is absolutely gorgeous! I can't help thinking how much sweeter it would look if it was ALL Guru hardware....stands and everything. The design of the lugs alone makes me wanna see hardware with that style.

Those are beautiful drums. Makes me wish I had gone to London.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I love your drums. I love your pics. I agree with some of your theories, and not others. It's all good. As far as pictures, last time I checked a big part of drum sites is pictures. Some folks on here love to look and comment on pics of kits, and others for some reason ignore, or say nothing.
Thanks Glen, but please bear in mind, our theories are tested, then expansively A-B'd. If the theories don't cut it, they're dropped. Effectively, we don't have theories relating to work we've already done, just results. I do completely agree though, that differing opinions are both good & to be embraced.

M

moretulife

I love your drums. I love your pics. I agree with some of your theories, and not others. It's all good. As far as pictures, last time I checked a big part of drum sites is pictures. Some folks on here love to look and comment on pics of kits, and others for some reason ignore, or say nothing.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Please stop uploading those "cappucino" pics Andy, I can't take the pain anymore... the biggest problem is that this tiny kit is not only awesome looking, it sounds enormously big too, it's small, it's super light, but it's the best ever kit I played, it's defying logic, that 20"x 12" bass drum can make a 22"x 16" sound very thin and lacking in tone and depth, truly an amazing kit :)
Thank you Henri. I know you had fun playing the drums, just a pity it was in an exhibition context rather than somewhere more conducive to relaxing with the instruments.

There has been a lot of free GURU advertising on here over the last couple of months. ;)
Not advertising Glen, involvement. Ok, if my activities on the forum help spread the word about what we're doing, then great, but it's not the focus of my participation here. I was here way before I even thought of getting so deeply involved in drum manufacture, & when I did make that step, I included forum members in every step of my journey. Many have said, both on the forum & by PM, that they find the whole process interesting, & really value insights into the process that I've brought here. Members opinions have also shaped some aspects of the drum's specification, & I think that's cool. I seek members views, & both respect + value their opinions. This forum, after all, exists for the purpose of exchanging views.

In short, my participation in all aspects of forum discussions way exceeds anything Guru related. You'll also find me frequently suggesting drums other than Guru, & indeed, praising them where I believe praise is due. I believe my presence here is balanced.

And I'm very happy that the free advertising continues. These drums are like nothing else I've ever seen or played.

One day Andy. One day!
Thanks Duncan :) The vast majority of my Guru related posts are answering questions from those interested in why we've designed something a certain way. there's interest in the process of evaluation, & much of what we work on, & indeed, the results we get, have direct benefit to others & their own drums.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
And I'm very happy that the free advertising continues. These drums are like nothing else I've ever seen or played.

One day Andy. One day!

M

moretulife

I can't tell if you are back to having fun with me on here yet or not. :) There has been a lot of free GURU advertising on here over the last couple of months. ;)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
...I thought I'd do a "Sticks" & shamelessly post some recent pictures that don't feature in this thread.
Please stop uploading those "cappucino" pics Andy, I can't take the pain anymore... the biggest problem is that this tiny kit is not only awesome looking, it sounds enormously big too, it's small, it's super light, but it's the best ever kit I played, it's defying logic, that 20"x 12" bass drum can make a 22"x 16" sound very thin and lacking in tone and depth, truly an amazing kit :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
OK, after a ton of research, mostly because these weigh a ton, I have finally found a way to take down once and for all Guru Drums!!! I think mine have a more " natural " feel than Guru.
Yup, you got me there. Hands down the more natural kit, & no need to tune them either ;) Now that's innovation!

Holy sweet Heaven...every time I look at these drums I am blown away.

The shells look amazing of course, but the lug design, and the FT leg bracket design are just great.

They sound pretty good too.... ;-)

There are some drums that just "speak" to you, and you know you'd feel at home sitting behind a set, and these drums do that.

Great job in creating these, and best of luck as it continues!!
Thanks Karl, high praise indeed coming from you :) It's a tough ride, & will continue to be I suspect. We're busy doing lots of stuff, not least of which is our honest capture Origin drum demo video series next week. It's all costing a fortune, & a massive amount of effort. Just hope we don't crash & burn before we have a chance to get some momentum. Two more developments to go, both of which we're working on right now. Origin series snare drums due out in the spring, & another new drum series due out early summer, with luck.

KIS,

I know I've asked you before, but for the life of me, can't remember your answer.............do you, or are you planning to, have a distributor here in the states?

Not to sound like a broken record, but I just have to say that your drums are just flat-out beautiful.
Thank you for your kind words. The short answer is yes, we are seeking distribution, but I'm not sure how or when that will happen. We're concerned about margins inflating an already high sales price, & especially the environment our drums are displayed/demonstrated in.

As this thread has been dragged up from the forum bowels (& isn't even the most recent one), I thought I'd do a "Sticks" & shamelessly post some recent pictures that don't feature in this thread.

Attachments

longgun

Gold Member
Just thought I'd drop a few pictures here of the chrome finished hardware on the Origin Performance range kit. I had to throw these together for an advertisement due to press on Monday. Still not finished with our bespoke stainless steel tension screws, but getting close to complete. I think the chrome really pops against the padauk :)

What do you think, good pictures for inclusion in an ad?
KIS,

I know I've asked you before, but for the life of me, can't remember your answer.............do you, or are you planning to, have a distributor here in the states?

Not to sound like a broken record, but I just have to say that your drums are just flat-out beautiful.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Holy sweet Heaven...every time I look at these drums I am blown away.

The shells look amazing of course, but the lug design, and the FT leg bracket design are just great.

They sound pretty good too.... ;-)

There are some drums that just "speak" to you, and you know you'd feel at home sitting behind a set, and these drums do that.

Great job in creating these, and best of luck as it continues!!

M

moretulife

OK, after a ton of research, mostly because these weigh a ton, I have finally found a way to take down once and for all Guru Drums!!! I think mine have a more " natural " feel than Guru.
I like that you have one of your badges showing! :)

T

The Old Hyde

Attachments

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Just thought I'd drop a few pictures here of the chrome finished hardware on the Origin Performance range kit. I had to throw these together for an advertisement due to press on Monday. Still not finished with our bespoke stainless steel tension screws, but getting close to complete. I think the chrome really pops against the padauk :)

What do you think, good pictures for inclusion in an ad?

Attachments