First Gig Expectations?

Well, Friday has passed. How did it go MarkUs??

Again, realize that there MIGHT be mistakes, know how to handle mistakes professionally, but do not ASSUME that there will be mistakes, because it will change your attitude and mindset.
Great point. Like you said a well rehearsed band/musician is not guaranteed by any means to make mistakes (missed changes, dropping the time, etc). The key is to have confidence that you and your band mates know each song and that you can make each song feel good.

Having confidence in your playing will, a) make your playing more solid and relaxed, and b) will be physically apparent to the audience just by looking at you. So that even if you do happen to make a mistake while playing and looking confident, the audience is less likely to know.

diosdude

Silver Member
Okay guys, if you mess up and everybody gets thrown off, just turn it into thrash metal and everyone play as fast and as hard as you can. Just kidding. But not really.

CaptainSticks

just have fun with it, don't stop and try not to make things too complex. First time i did a show, i did some obvious mistakes(in my point of view) , but when i talked to some people i knew in the crowd, they didn't notice a thing.

all in all, make sure your relaxed and your playing correctly with the band.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Why do people always say there WILL be mistakes? I mean, it's important to realize that there MIGHT be mistakes, and to know how to prepare for them, but a well rehearsed band, with members that aren't intimidated by the stage, will not be guaranteed to make mistakes, and I think that going in with the idea/attitude that there definitely WILL be mistakes is a really bad idea that sets you up for failure. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that stuff. Most of my first gigs with different bands have been mistake-free, and I plan on that trend continuing with any and all other bands I play with.

Again, realize that there MIGHT be mistakes, know how to handle mistakes professionally, but do not ASSUME that there will be mistakes, because it will change your attitude and mindset.

jer

Silver Member
As far as mistakes, yeah, we all make them. One trick is to never make faces or otherwise send signals to the audience that you did so.
My problem is that I find it funny when either I or a band mate makes a mistake, and can't help but laugh at myself, or the band mate in question. But very good point, either act like it never happened, or make the same mistake on the next bar - then call it jazz.

A live gig is no time to experiment; play what you know
and keep it simple: you'll do just fine!
qft.

Gretsch'em

Just get up there and let them see what you got. At the end of the day your the one who is up there, and people admire us musicians. Some dream they could be up there but dont have the guts nor talent. Have Fun.

SharkyBait911

Same here i've got my first gig in a week or so and im nervous it's not the first preformance ive done in front of a crowd but this is my first paying, 90 min pub gig and im 13 !!!!!
Im afraid im gonna seriously COCK UP !!!!!

RogerLudwig

As far as mistakes, yeah, we all make them. One trick is to never make faces or otherwise send signals to the audience that you did so. Like sinsyk17 and Mandelbaum said, just blow right through them.

My drum teacher always said that playing was a constant act of recovery...moving from moment to moment, never being distracted by past or future: be here and now. Centered and relaxed. A live gig is no time to experiment; play what you know and keep it simple: you'll do just fine!

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Your first song sets the tone with your audience and the band.

Have your opener be simple. A song you know your tight on. It gives you some place to go.

Everybody pays more attention at the start. You feel great at the start of song 2.

If you know somebody that's going to be there, have them stand in the middle or back of the club so after a song or two you can get a guage as to whether your playing at the right volume. I still have the problem of getting a little too excited and playing too loud.

Be confident but not cocky. Your confidence will calm everybody else down.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
The difference between a pro and an amateur is how they handle them. An amateur lets mistakes get to them an pro blows them off and keeps on going.

Just relax and have fun, as stated above there will be mistakes. who cares?

Let us know how it goes,

BattleArmor

Silver Member
There will be mistakes. Even if you practice it perfectly, there will be mistakes. The good news though, is that know one in the audiance knows. Just breathe, relax and have fun. If you have fun, your audiance has fun.

markusjj

I got a gig on Friday at a local bar with my new band. It will be our first gig together after playing a few times over the past couple months. Its a pretty small bar so there won't be too many people. Our last practice went OK with some mess ups on my part.

I am thinking about hitting up an open mic tonight to prepare myself. What expectations should I have going into this gig?