First drum kit overhaul!!

Bentley

Ok, so a few more weeks into the project, two toms have been lacquered and about to be finished. Thanks to Boom for the Coke idea, I have used it and it worked a treat!! Most of the parts I ran over with some foil, which had been scrunched up and everything is starting to look great!! Thanks again guys for the input and help. Will update with pics soon!!

Bentley

Ok, I'll have to try both, cheap cola and Coca-Cola just to see if they both work or not...
Yeah, working on drums gives another great aspect on drumming in general, you're basically learning a "trade" at the same time as working on something you love to play and the rewards are they feel more like your "own" drums because you have put you're own touch on them, instead of some factory in my case, somewhere in Taiwan haha.
You're exactly right there Boom.

Boom

Silver Member
It actually is a good question, Bentley. I ran out of Coca Cola and tried Pepsi. Pepsi must not have as much acid in it (or something) and didn't remove the rust at all.

I don't know about other colas, all I do know is that Coke works really well. It will shock you how well it works. At least it surprised me. Good luck. It is a cool thing to clean up and repair drums. It makes your drums feel like they are more yours or something.

Bentley

Yeah I heard about the coke way through a Facebook page called "Drums, Gear and Percussion". The person actually used coke to clean cymbals and a Tama snare drum. Too late for me though I had already spent over an hour polishing the snare haha.
But I'll try it on the lugs, tension rods and rims for the toms and bass drum. The kit has been sitting in the corner by itself a long time, ever since I moved onto my PDP some 6 years ago. But I will definitely try this method. This may sound stupid but, does it have to be "the" Coca-Cola or just any form of cola?

Boom

Silver Member
Also how have some of you gone about removing rust pitting on the chrome?

Thanks.
Depending on where you mean, I was taught on this very forum to use Aluminum foil and Coca Cola.

The coke has a decent amount of phosphoric acid in it to break down the rust, but not so hardcore to harm the chrome. After letting the coke sit on the chrome for a little bit (you'll learn how long by trial and error depending on how bad the rusting is), roll the aluminum foil up into a ball and just start rubbing it on the rusty chrome. It is softer than the chrome, so it doesn't leave scratches.

I was amazed at how well that worked on my gibraltar rack (lots of chrome).

Bentley

I have already taken "Before" shots. I have put estapol on the 12'' and 13'' toms need a few more coats on those two still, then I will do the 16'' floor tom and the 22'' bass drum.
But once they are complete I will take some photo's of them and then re-assemble and more photo's haha.

I will try the steel wool and see how it goes for me, thanks for your replies everyone!

AJ3000

Silver Member
No worries man. Another rule of the forum is 'PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!' so slam them badboys in the modification sticky when you're done for all to behold!

Bentley

Thanks heaps!
Yeah, I am getting help from my Dad with the delicate sanding back of the shells before applying the estapol and finally applied the first of many coats yesterday and it's already looking a thousand times better!!
harryconway, what sort of kit is that you have?
Thanks AJ300 for that direction to that thread, some of the kits on there are really cool! I had no idea about that part of these forums.
Thanks again for your help.

AJ3000

Silver Member
Ok, first things first, have a look thru the drum modification sticky within this very forum. Loads of guys (myself included) have posted some mod and refinish pics and many tips on getting it right. It's not crazy hard, but it takes patience....

Bentley

Hey guys,
I'm new around here and so far I am liking these forums a lot!
I have been playing for 7 years, I am only 16 and I have just started my first drum kit overhaul.
The kit I am working on is an Enforcer drum kit and it has "rock" drum sizes. Shells are poplar but have really nice wood on the outside where I have removed the finish ply wrap. I then plan to put estapol on all of the shells.

I was just wondering what have some your overhauls been and how well or bad they have gone?
Also how have some of you gone about removing rust pitting on the chrome?

Thanks.