Fired drummer creates new oppty

dmacc

Platinum Member
This story shows that being persistent, competent and engaged goes a long way.

Many people are too damaged to keep a steady job of any kind and a lot of them wind up in music for some reason. Competent, professional people like you replace them. That's the way it should be.
This exactly! Professionalism is what separates the kids from the adults - no matter what age.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
This story shows that being persistent, competent and engaged goes a long way.

Many people are too damaged to keep a steady job of any kind and a lot of them wind up in music for some reason. Competent, professional people like you replace them. That's the way it should be.

T

TFITTING942

continually drunk on stage, playing too loud, and arguing with her on stage during gigs.

Am I missing something here?? Sounds like rock and roll to me.

Good luck with htis one and I hope it works out, you have been getting shafted lately and are due to land one of these gigs!!

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
About 18 months ago I auditioned for a country band at a local beer joint not far from where I live. That audition went ok, I thought. Considering the fact I was told to just show up and play, no audition material to learn, I thought I did ok. I get an email from the leader a few days later saying their drummer they needed to replace because he was quitting the band, had decided to stay. Okay I thought, these things happen. No biggie.

Next this band folds due to the economy and a lot of bars were closing in the area. You can sort of get the idea. A country bar runs good for a while, then the economy tanks, the bar gets fewer patrons willing to spend money, and it goes belly up. Some new owner takes over and turnes it into a rock or heavy metal club. Such is life.

So last month I see on Craigslist this leader is putting together a new band. Some former members, some new. She needed a new bass player and new drummer. I emailed her. A few hours later I get a response saying she just hired a drummer thru word-of-mouth. I'm thinking I was late reading the Craigslist ad and just repsponded late. The leader sent me a really nice email and an apology because she had my name and number in her files, but not as a drummer, but listed as a singer-songwriter. Again I'm thinking this kind of stuff happens. I replied it's okay and forgave a dumb mistake. (Everybody makes mistakes, right?)

So I'm reading my emails yesterday and see her email. She's inviting me to come audition next week because she had to fire her drummer for being continually drunk on stage, playing too loud, and arguing with her on stage during gigs.

Fine by me. I'll gladly audition. This lady is known to run a good band and gets good, steady gigs and is booked through the first quarter of 2012. I've played with some of her band members and they appear to be good, solid players. So far I've not heard anyone trashing her, so it's worth a shot.

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded post, but I thought it was interesting. It makes me wonder why if someone had a good gig, why they chose to mess it up by being drunk on stage at corporate parties and fundraisers, as well as bar gigs, then arguing with the leader - for all intents and purposes - his employer.