Finding a Drum Teacher

Migaluch

Hey Drummerworlderlings, I am a formally untaught drummer and have been teaching myself to play via online lessons for the past year and this summer i will be getting real lessons with a teacher. I am just wondering how i should go about finding the right teacher and how can i know that he (or she... wait... is it possible?) is good and will get me the most progress. I don't know where to look but how can i find a good teacher that will really help me?

Big Foot

Silver Member
Basically here are a few things you should look for;

1. should be a professional player (w/ some years of experience).
2. university or college grad in music
3. he or she should have a good student base (don't be the first student - if he's charging full rate)
4. they should present themselves as a professional ( ie. if his studio is a one room flat w/ his mattress on the floor next to the kit keep looking - especially if he's charging full rate. he doesn't gig in his pj's does he?)
5. you should like him/her and he /she should return the vibe.
Also, give him a chance and be patient but don't be afraid to move on if things don't work for you.
I'm sure others will have more to add...

I think it completely depends on what aspects of drumming you want to learn really!

My first ever teacher was a very friendly by-the-book teacher. Sightreading, grades etc. The standard learning process which teaches you all you need to know about the instrument and how to play it.

However, I learned more from my second teacher. He taught me more basic sightreading, and very general things but more importantly he taught me things that you wouldn't be able to pick up simply from theory. How to feel, why accents sound good in certain places, how to really lock into the song. He introduced me to a variety of music. I was a very young rocker type, and he introduced me to prog, funk, jazz, all sorts of stuff. That developed my playing a lot.

The guy (as far as I know) had no qualification from college/university. We did, however, have the lessons at a cool home-built studio.

There are good and bad sides to both types, it really depends what you want. Though I find it really easy to jam and click with other musicians, there's some technical stuff I never really learned, and this does make me somewhat of a flawed drummer. Having said that, I know I made the right decision sticking with the second teacher rather than the first.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
A lot of students say they sign up with me because of my credentials - see my website. You may want to look for similar credentials in your teachers.

Unfortunately, not every teacher has a website with their bio and experience online. So my suggestion is to find a few people in the area that are known as the top teachers. Take a lesson with each of them. You should be able to tell which one(s) are just talk and which know what they are talking about. Choose the one you feel is the most knowledgeable - and the one who can get his/her points across easily.

I think a good teacher will address reading and technique on snare drum. He/she will also help to develop coordination, styles, and musicality on drum set. Many teachers such as myself are using media such as DVDs in the lesson to reinforce concepts. I also use audio and video recording to analyze the student's technique and overall playing.

Jeff