FINALLY! After 40 years....

P

plangentmusic

Ludwig has returned to their cool original vintage keystone badge instead of that tacky-ass aqua and olive thing.

Okay, call me obsessive. Does it really matter? Of course not! But I sold my old snare drum to get the new one. (At a loss of about 50 bucks). Hey, life is too short to wish you had something that is easily obtainable.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
That Legacy badge came out 5 years ago. :)

FWIW, badges define eras in a company's history, quality, and desirability. That applies not just to Ludwig, but other major US companies like Slingerland, Rogers, Camco and especially Gretsch. The badges refer to the bigger picture in a company's history, and are iconic for that reason, whether or not the badge itself is cool.

If you had a supply of original (or Legacy) keystone badges, would you install them on every Ludwig kit made since 1969? Besides, some people dig the blue/olive color scheme, and that badge mostly represents an excellent and very desirable period for Ludwig drums.

Bermuda

P

plangentmusic

That Legacy badge came out 5 years ago. :)

FWIW, badges define eras in a company's history, quality, and desirability. That applies not just to Ludwig, but other major US companies like Slingerland, Rogers, Camco and especially Gretsch. The badges refer to the bigger picture in a company's history, and are iconic for that reason, whether or not the badge itself is cool.

If you had a supply of original (or Legacy) keystone badges, would you install them on every Ludwig kit made since 1969? Besides, some people dig the blue/olive color scheme, and that badge mostly represents an excellent and very desirable period for Ludwig drums.

Bermuda
I understand. I'm being glib. There are certain eras I prefer -- same with guitars and badges. Fender in the 70's basses were not their best but I love the logos from that time! lol I think in general, I prefer a vintage look. Of course, to someone born in 1990, I gues the blue and olive are vintage!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
It is an era thing, because the first Ludwig's I drooled over were B/O badged.
The 1980 catalog was special to me....... :) The Maple rock/concert snare...ooooooohhh... I put Classic wood shell lugs on my CM because of that drum!!

I pretty much prefer the Gold Keystone badge (over B/O), but if it was stamped like the smaller one, that would look great to me, but someone that liked the traditional Keystone probably wouldn't care for it.

Enjoy your snare plangentmusic, it probably feels right as well as sounding great!!

P

plangentmusic

It is an era thing, because the first Ludwig's I drooled over were B/O badged.
The 1980 catalog was special to me....... :) The Maple rock/concert snare...ooooooohhh... I put Classic wood shell lugs on my CM because of that drum!!

I pretty much prefer the Gold Keystone badge (over B/O), but if it was stamped like the smaller one, that would look great to me, but someone that liked the traditional Keystone probably wouldn't care for it.

Enjoy your snare plangentmusic, it probably feels right as well as sounding great!!
Thanks. Actually, I've used the 6 1/2 for years -- got it in the 80's when the BIG snare sound was popular, but decided to go back to a 5". I love it.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm a big Blue/Olive fan as well. I actually had the 1975 and 1980 Ludwig catalogs and like everyone else, drooled over them every night. That was my Ludwig era. But I understand lots of people like the keystone, I could go either way when it comes to Ludwigs.

It would be neat if somebody made a kit with no badges at all, eh?

samdrum

I prefer the Keystone badge, however, I do think there are certain colors or wraps that just look "right" with a blue/olive badge. I ordered my Classics with Keystones. Just looks "classier" to me and they don't stand out so much.

larryz

Platinum Member
I love the blue/olive, blck.white badges, and the keystones. Just not the current badges for the non-US drums like Epic, Centennial. Anyway, a minor issue. Though I wonder - Pennsylvania is the Keystone State and how Ludwig came up witht he keystone badge. I'm sure it's in their book..?

P

plangentmusic

I love the blue/olive, blck.white badges, and the keystones. Just not the current badges for the non-US drums like Epic, Centennial. Anyway, a minor issue. Though I wonder - Pennsylvania is the Keystone State and how Ludwig came up witht he keystone badge. I'm sure it's in their book..?
The keystone is a universal symbol. Since it's the shape of the final stone placed at the apex of a structure to lock the surrounding stones in place, it's regarded as the "most important" piece, (or the one which all others depend as the "lead" ) thus the reason to have it as a logo. Heinz ketchup uses it too.

larryz

Platinum Member
The keystone is a universal symbol. Since it's the shape of the final stone placed at the apex of a structure to lock the surrounding stones in place, it's regarded as the "most important" piece, (or the one which all others depend as the "lead" ) thus the reason to have it as a logo. Heinz ketchup uses it too.
Thanks, never knew that. Lol. Working about 1/4 mile from the Heinz plant right now :)

adam!

I like Ludwig... regardless of the badge!

However, I still had to have blue/olive badges on my Bonham kit. Like Bermuda said, it's an era thing.