Fellow Teachers - Student Not Hitting Hard Enough?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Get a guitar and an amp. Learn to play a song on it.

Then make them play along to your guitar playing. When they realize they can't hear themselves, most likely instinct will tell them to hit with a bit more force.
That is a good approach. Nothing like playing with others to make you see yourself in new ways.

I have been playing since 1983 and I have never, ever heard anyone complaining about a drummer playing too softly, but I have often heard the opposite. So the OP shouldn't view soft playing as a bad thing necessarily.

ocdrums

yep, that's what this world needs more of: drummers that pound the living daylights out of their drums and can only play in stadium bands. I believe that the situation is changing out there. Bands are playing in smaller and smaller venues and the ability to play softly will come in handy. I asked a name drummer once, "Don't people complain that you play so lightly?" he responded, "If they want more volume they can mike me."

I'm proud that my rock band can kick ass in your living room, them move to a concert stage. It's not the volume, it's the intensity of the groove that makes people move.

I am so sick of the HIT IT HARDER crowd....geeze. There's more than one way to hit the drums!

zambizzi

Platinum Member
That is a good approach. Nothing like playing with others to make you see yourself in new ways.

I have been playing since 1983 and I have never, ever heard anyone complaining about a drummer playing too softly, but I have often heard the opposite. So the OP shouldn't view soft playing as a bad thing necessarily.
Yep, great answer. Learning how to play in a loud band is the best way to measure your limits. I thought I could hit pretty hard until this new rock band came together for me, last year.

Now I realize that you have to learn to hit hard if you intend to do it w/o hurting yourself, while still doing justice to the band. It's not as easy as one might think.

The trick is to encourage a full-range of dynamics, during practice. Don't just teach them how to hit hard, teach them how to control the sticks and play accurately and consistently, at all levels.