Feedback from all of you pros out there! #2

uniin

Gold Member
after watching 30 seconds the only real thing i can comment on is your stick grip/fulcrum isn't really there? it's not like you're doing bad technique but if you want to ease up some of the faster stuff work on your fulcrum, and getting a lot of air out of the stick..

tommy igoe's great hands for a lifetime really explains this excellently.

pannbeen

after watching 30 seconds the only real thing i can comment on is your stick grip/fulcrum isn't really there? it's not like you're doing bad technique but if you want to ease up some of the faster stuff work on your fulcrum, and getting a lot of air out of the stick..

tommy igoe's great hands for a lifetime really explains this excellently.
Ye i know that my grip sucks.. :( but it's becuse my hands are so dry so the sticks slip out of the good grip.
I don't no what to do about it...

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Yeah, i've been thinking about that, but i think it looks "uncool" with grip tape haha...
Sorry but cool takes a back seat to improving technique my friend.If you have a death grip on those stick because your hands sweat,you have to one way or another address the problem.Gloves are another alternative.Either way..its beats the death grip and sticks flying all over the place.

Steve B

larryz

Platinum Member
Sorry but cool takes a back seat to improving technique my friend.If you have a death grip on those stick because your hands sweat,you have to one way or another address the problem.Gloves are another alternative.Either way..its beats the death grip and sticks flying all over the place.

Steve B
Nigel Olsson is famous for the white golf (or batting?) gloves and I think he is totally cool.

DrumDoug

I would move your hi hat a little closer so you don't have to lean over to play it. You probably don't notice it now since you are young, but if you don't correct that habit now your back will hate you when you are older.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Nigel Olsson is famous for the white golf (or batting?) gloves and I think he is totally cool.
+1 He uses golf gloves and I believe Bun E Carlos does also,and when you think about how golf gloves work,they are perfect for holding on to drum sticks.

Steve B

D

Doctor Dirt

A bit more relaxed breathing to start. Try and use more wrist with your left and less arm motion this will help build your wrist and get rid of excess motion. As far as your playing you use dynamics nicely most young players don't even understand that a slightly loose hihat will give you more "fill" then playing on a ride!! Then when you tighten it "sock it up" thats an automatic dynamic without even lightening up on your overall playing. A hint from just what I saw & heard is to practice cutting time signatures along with speed roles. That kind of work will add some discipline to your playing and will improve your thought process because descions come fast and you can't take them back when your playing live. Experimental playing is for the practice and studio sessions not a live bandstand. Play to the vocalists, with the bassists as a team, pay attention to your beat for the rythmn section and avoid the quitarists at all costs hahahaha!!!
You sound good and play well, never forget the basics and always use dynamics bringing a tune up & down using volumns to express parts of a song is something that has nothing to do with a talent level but has to do with thought. Think a part through and you'll hear what needs to be excentruated to many drummers young and old express their playing physically and forget that theres moods that need to be pronounced and drummers can set that up by their touch. We don't need an amp or gizmo on the floor or added effects our touch tells the mood and we project color through or cymbal work. OK enough of the pep talk hahahaha time for dinner, just tryin' to make you think, its important to become a drummer with more than one dimention. Later Doc.