FAVORITE DRUMMERS

stramming

Hey, guys. I am new to this site and have been playing the drums for 3 years, going on 4. I found my love for drumming and music grow through those years. While listening to the music from the 50's-80's (I can't STAND new music), I always listened to the drummers. I have, in my OPINION, my favorite drummers. These may not be the BEST drummers, but they are my favorite.

1. Keith Moon
Keith is my favorite drummer because of his, well, absolute craziness. If you pay attention to Moon behind the kit, he's a freakin' octopus! Almost all of his drumming are fills, amd he still manages to get through a song while keeping time!

2. John Bonham
Bonzo is my second favorite, but he was THIS CLOSE to becoming my first favorite. He is great at keeping time, and can also do GREAT and interesting beats. Not many drummers can beat Bonzo!

3. Neil Peart
Rush is not a band I listen to all the time (But maybe I'll start...), but I have come to appreciate it, and the drummer, over the years. Listen to "Tom Sawyer". You'll hear Neil's great power behind the drums.

4. Ringo Starr
Old Ringo was never real flashy, but he did pioneer in some ways, and he was like a human metrenome. I think Ringo is very underrated in a lot of ways. Listen to "Rain" or "The Word". People will soon learn to respect "Starr"-child.

There are a lot more drummers I like a lot, like Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker, Gene Krupa..... there's too many to name!

Please reply, and add your favorites!

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Welcome to the forum. Let's see, I'll try and limit it to 5:

1. Vinnie Colaiuta
I can't stand to listen to the man talk about anything other than drums, but by god can play them! I am almost positive he is the greatest drummer ever to have lived.

2. Dave Weckl
A real inspiration - a phenomenal player, maker of great music, and a great guy.

3. John Riley
An excellent teacher, and an even better jazz drummer.

4. Elvin Jones
Unrivalled for rhythm and swing, his work with Coltrane is masterful.

5. Dennis Chambers
This slot could have gone to any number of drummers, but Dennis's groove and chops are simply monstrous. I love his work with Greg Howe.

Honourable mentions:
- Jack DeJohnette
- Mike Mangini
- Stan Levey
- Tony Williams (earlier work with Miles)
- Mark Guiliana
- Benny Greb
- Virgil Donnati

BabyBob

Silver Member
Mine is quite obvious...

1. Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan

2. John Bonham

3. Lars Ulrich

4. John Riley

5. Dave Weckl

Ian Paice - Bill Ward - John Bonham - Keith Moon - Mitch Mitchell - Cozy Powell - Bill Legend - John Hinch - Brian Downey - Simon Phillips - Roger Taylor - Les Binks - Rick Allen - Carmine Appice - John Tempesta - Tony Williams - Ndugu Chancler - Kenny Clarke - Tommy Clufetos - Joe Morello - Robb Reiner - Phil Rudd - Alan Myers - Clive Burr - Phil Taylor - Emmanuelle Caplette - Lux Drummerette - Meytal Cohen...for the time being!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
A copy and paste from the other thread...

... "The list is far too long...

But here's some of my favourite drummers :)

Simon Phillips
Vinnie Colaiuta
Billy Cobham
Jeff Porcaro
Brian Blade
Steve Gadd
Peter Erskine
Tony Williams
Steve Smith
Jojo Mayer
Benny Greb
Cozy Powell
Ian Paice

... and many, many more :)"

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'm gonna say Ringo because he is awesome. Plus I want to turn this into another Ringo debate thread.

Lars Ulrich is a really cool drummer too.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Mmmh... On second thought Bon, I agree, you are a bad guy ;-))
Oh, thanks MAD Henri!

On a serious note, Ringo really is the greatest, and his technique and style are beyond reproach. He's lives in another dimension or something. wouldn't you say?

LOL....and don't get me started on Lars!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Yes Ringo is unique, a living legend, my first real drum hero...

...and he's so much better than that so-so Lars drummer :))
Ha ha! Nice comeback. OK, 'nuff said about Ringo.

Sorry, guys. It was a joke!

Anyway, I can't really say who is my favorite. My list pretty much looks like anybody else's. I like it all. Right now my favorite drummer is Rodney Holmes.

MileHighDrummer

Since the creme always rises to the top, my list always starts with Mr. rich. Many greats but I would have to say my favorite drummer would be Neil Peart or Carter Beauford.

BobC

Hey, guys. I am new to this site and have been playing the drums for 3 years, going on 4. I found my love for drumming and music grow through those years. While listening to the music from the 50's-80's (I can't STAND new music), I always listened to the drummers. I have, in my OPINION, my favorite drummers. These may not be the BEST drummers, but they are my favorite.

1. Keith Moon
Keith is my favorite drummer because of his, well, absolute craziness. If you pay attention to Moon behind the kit, he's a freakin' octopus! Almost all of his drumming are fills, amd he still manages to get through a song while keeping time!

2. John Bonham
Bonzo is my second favorite, but he was THIS CLOSE to becoming my first favorite. He is great at keeping time, and can also do GREAT and interesting beats. Not many drummers can beat Bonzo!

3. Neil Peart
Rush is not a band I listen to all the time (But maybe I'll start...), but I have come to appreciate it, and the drummer, over the years. Listen to "Tom Sawyer". You'll hear Neil's great power behind the drums.

4. Ringo Starr
Old Ringo was never real flashy, but he did pioneer in some ways, and he was like a human metrenome. I think Ringo is very underrated in a lot of ways. Listen to "Rain" or "The Word". People will soon learn to respect "Starr"-child.

There are a lot more drummers I like a lot, like Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker, Gene Krupa..... there's too many to name!

Please reply, and add your favorites!
I've answered this question a lot of times over the years, due to having written a book about 60's rock drummers, but I agree with most of your choices. I was ridiculously influenced by Bonham at the time, but no longer. His work hasn't stuck with me, and I'm no fan of Neil Peart either, sorry to say.

There are no right or wrong answers to your question. Everybody's choices are valid, and no one has the right to criticize or question those choices.

On the other hand, I still think Ringo is the greatest and most influential rock drummer of all time for the reasons everybody knows. I put Charlie Watts up there too, along with Hal Blaine, Jim Keltner, Kenny Aronoff, Richie Hayward, Ian Paice (always overshadowed by Bonham, sadly), Johny Barbata, Kenney Jones, Bobby Elliott, Jerry Edmonton, and Mitch Mitchell.

On the R&B side, it's got to be the Motown drummers, James Brown's drummers, Stanton Moore, and Al Jackson, Jr.

On the jazz end, it's Buddy Rich at the pinnacle of the mountain, followed by Louie Bellson, Gene Krupa, Sonny Payne, Papa Jo Jones, Eddie Shaughnessy, Maurice Purtill (Glenn Miller), Art Blakey, and other swing era drummers whose names are lost in time. I don't like Bop, and generally don't like that drumming style either. I never "got" Elvin Jones, for instance.

I did a bunch of radio interviews when my book was republished in 2006, and inevitably, the radio host would ask me who the greatest rock drummer of all time was. My answer was always Ringo, and they always seemed perplexed by that reply. That just goes to show you how much radio DJs know today. After I explained why Ringo was my choice, they at least pretended to get it. I guess they expected me to name someone else based on sheer technique alone.

Last edited: