Fast tom roll help

M

Mystic

K I need help with doing really fast tom rolls, like going rack tom to snare to rack, next next, floor tom so on, like death metal fast without using the bass drum. I can't seem to figure out how to do it and I keep seeing everyone else do it and it sounds so cool. Whats the trick double strokes? Flying finger technique? I have tried everything in my technical arsenal, but nothing will grant me the speed.

Daphfz

mostly i find its rudiments, like LLRR LRLL RLRR...... They will help you move around faster, but the main thing is practice, u cant just see everyone do it and expect that u'll be able to do it the 1st time u try it, it'll take some time to work up the speed, hope this helped :)

Daphfz

You can use single strokes if that's more comfortable for you, Many heavy metal drummers like nickolas barker use single strokes in most of their tom rolls, but they practiced for years. So basically use whatever stick technique you like, some will help you go fast and some will make u go slower, its up to your preferances, but no matter what technique you use, practice will make you go fast, but dont practice fast, make sure all your strokes are accurate and in beat. No sense in practicing inaccurate rolls :)

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
so they aren't pure single strokes?
What you're thinking of is pure single strokes. The key is building up speed and strength in your wrists. You'll need a practice pad and at least 20 minutes a day.

To start off, try doing four strokes on each drum. Here's a simple fill I like doing for death metal.

S: RLRL
T1: RLRL
T2: RLRL
T3: RLRL

Practice getting that up to speed, it's what you will find over and over again in death metal.

M

Mystic

Hmm I think Ironcobra hit the spot, but is it purely wrist or should I be using fingers too? And if I am supposed to use fingers how do you get them to be accurate at that speed?

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
Hmm I think Ironcobra hit the spot, but is it purely wrist or should I be using fingers too? And if I am supposed to use fingers how do you get them to be accurate at that speed?
If you want, I'll make you a video tomorrow showing you exactly how.

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
lol no problem I was just wondering when you were going to do it,I'll be looking forward to the video.
Well, I've recorded the video, but I'm being kind of dumb. My playing is dreadful and I can't get across what I'm trying to say without stuttering. You'll have to give me a bit more time to get my act together.

805Drummer

Gold Member
Well, I've recorded the video, but I'm being kind of dumb. My playing is dreadful and I can't get across what I'm trying to say without stuttering. You'll have to give me a bit more time to get my act together.
Awesome. I can't wait to see it too!

M

Mystic

I dont care if you stutter you can send me a private video lol

diosdude

Silver Member
Moeller technique. Invented by Sanford Moeller when he used to jam with Jesus, Moses and old Methusala. Handed down through the generations to those ancient cincinatti jazz cats and French army military drum corps. All kidding aside, Jim Chapin and his apostles use this. Guys like dom famularo, thomas Lang, Jojo Mayer etc all have tremendous single stroke hand speed. Check out this dude's youtube:

Derrick Pope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSVhDsO9jc

Derrick's vid has proved the most useful to me to figuring it out. It took a couple months of me forcing myself to aclimate to this. The first couple weeks was like "man this ain't ever gonna work". After a few weeks of doing it though my speed took a quantum leap, i'm talkin' a whole order of magnitude faster. The stuff works.

Check out all you can find from Jim Chapin, Joe Morello,etc. These seniors will give even derrek roddy a run for his money on hand speed.

schist

Silver Member
Try this:

- Set your metronome to 100BPM.
- Starting with your left hand play 16th-note single strokes on your snare drum (LLLL), then move to your 1st tom (LLLL), then 2nd (LLLL) and finally floor tom (LLLL). This will basically constitute one bar. At the end of each bar, go back to the snare without any pausing/hesitation. Repeat this cycle for about 1-2 minutes, then switch to your right hand and do the same thing for the same amount of time.
- When you've finished that, play 8 strokes instead of 4 and repeat the cycle with either hand, then 12, then 16, and finally 20.
- When you're able to play all the strokes around the toms cleanly, move up to 104BPM, then 108, 112, 116 and finally 120. It will take roughly a week or two (maybe sometimes longer) to get each tempo clean, just keep at it.

So basically, what you're playing will look like this:

Snare
Tom 1
Tom 2
Tom 3

1 min: LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL (repeat)
1 min: RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR (repeat)
1 min: LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL (repeat)
1 min: RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR (repeat)
1 min: LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL (repeat)
1 min: RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR (repeat)
1 min: LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL (repeat)
1 min: RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR (repeat)
1 min: LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL (repeat)
1 min: RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR (repeat)

Mikebike88

I have in the past 3 months started playing Death Metal, with some of my good friends. www.myspace.com/beholdtheruins

I was playing strictly Rock before that so i've had a lot of practicing to do. One of the things needing practice were the tom rolls mentioned by the original poster. The rolls you are thinking about are in fact single stroke rolls containing 4 strokes(RLRL) per drum. Why not use double strokes you might ask? In my experience with these types of fills, they are very loud and powerful, and my double strokes naturally aren't as powerful as my singles because my doubles rely a bit on the bounce, and my toms don't have much bounce :] So when using doubles, I might be playing the right notes, but they don't SOUND exactly the way they should. So I stick to singles.

Now as far as technique goes, I use my wrists for these singles, because they give me the most power and volume which is essential in this type of fill. The various "Finger" techniques rely a lot on bounce, similar to the way doubles do, so I prefer the use of wrist!

Hope this helps you, and good luck