Fast Singles around the kit - a magic formula

aydee

Platinum Member
Something I've been struggling with for years, and suddenly this is what worked for me. Thought I'd share it:

Snare ( LRL ), 1st Tom ( RL) 2nd Tom ( RL ) Floor Tom ( RLR)

Play the same thing in reverse as well.

( Thank You, Martin Valihora )

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Yep, that concept works well for all sorts of linear movements around the kit: an odd number of strokes at both ends, and an even number of strokes in the middle. Things to try out:

- include the hi-hat (HH-SD-TT-FT and in reverse)
- hi-hat, snare, floor tom
- three strokes at both ends, four in the middle
- move the end points around; instead of playing three strokes on the floor tom, take the "U turn" at the second rack tom, for example
- play through the pattern while going through the pyramid of subdivision: quarters, quarter triplets, eighth notes, eighth note triplets, sixteenths, fives, sixes, sevens and thirty-seconds. Move from one subdivision to another after each cycle, or every two quarter notes, or every quarter note... Or skip between subdivisions randomly.

aydee

Platinum Member
As a drill or a lick, adyee? All 16th notes?
As a drill mainly, Scio.. but works as a lick too. As a drill just keep the circular motion going, slow to fast without accenting any note and keepin the strokes as even as you can. Once you got that down you can reverse it, starting with the floor tom

Yep, that concept works well for all sorts of linear movements around the kit: an odd number of strokes at both ends, and an even number of strokes in the middle. Things to try out:

- include the hi-hat (HH-SD-TT-FT and in reverse)
- hi-hat, snare, floor tom
- three strokes at both ends, four in the middle
- move the end points around; instead of playing three strokes on the floor tom, take the "U turn" at the second rack tom, for example
- play through the pattern while going through the pyramid of subdivision: quarters, quarter triplets, eighth notes, eighth note triplets, sixteenths, fives, sixes, sevens and thirty-seconds. Move from one subdivision to another after each cycle, or every two quarter notes, or every quarter note... Or skip between subdivisions randomly.
Going to print this one out Juho, thanks.

oneguy

I wrote down the OP's routine on a sticky and placed it on the kit. Looks nice and simple and I could use some help moving around the kit after only 5 mos. I'll give it a shot....thanks!

oneguy

Hey thanks guys!!!!! Just got done playing with Aydee's practice routine for 1.25hrs. and must say that's really gonna help me! At first I was trying to play it "musically" and it wasn't really happening....then I slowed down and played it like I would my rudiments and everything kinda fell into place.

Every now and then you find something that works FOR YOU and this one will definately work for me. Can't wait until I can start playing with adding some extras etc. and expand on this. I really needed something to help me get around the kit and this will be a good one, for me anyways.... Things have been getting kinda stale banging out rudi's in Stick Control and playing to the same CD's over and over (nothing really wrong with that). This will give me something "different" (and needed) to help in a different direction......

Thanks again

aydee

Platinum Member
Glad it worked out for you too, Oneguy. This is something I got from Martin Valihora,a fantastic drummer who currently plays with Hiromi. Cheers.

Neil

How would this work on a 1 up 1 down configuration?

perhaps..

Snare ( LRL ), 1st Tom ( RL) Snare ( RL ) Floor Tom ( RLR) although it's not a circular motion then...

Wavelength

Platinum Member
How would this work on a 1 up 1 down configuration?

perhaps..

Snare ( LRL ), 1st Tom ( RL) Snare ( RL ) Floor Tom ( RLR) although it's not a circular motion then...
That works. For a circular motion: sd LRL, tt RL, ft RLR, tt LR, sd LRL.

oneguy

I can see alot of potential for this routine...especially after you get the basic routine down and then start mixing it up and expanding on it like already mentioned by Wavelength.

Maybe if you only have 1 up and want to stick with the circular thing it might be easy to add your ride in the mix instead of tom2.....????

brentcn

Platinum Member
I can see alot of potential for this routine...especially after you get the basic routine down and then start mixing it up and expanding on it like already mentioned by Wavelength.

Maybe if you only have 1 up and want to stick with the circular thing it might be easy to add your ride in the mix instead of tom2.....????
My teacher taught me a version of this idea: switch to the next drum with the "easy" hand. Going from snare to rack tom, you would lead with your right hand, but going from floor tom to rack tom, or floor tom to snare drum, you would play an additional right hand note, and then lead back with the left hand.

He had me practice this while keeping time (quarter notes) with the bass drum, and playing 16ths RLRL with the hands. Obviously, playing an odd number of notes on a drum will mean that the bass drum will "land" in some uncomfortable spots, but press on and don't worry too much about everything adding up to a specific number of measures -- yet.

Start on the rack tom, and play 4 16th notes. Then play 4 on the next tom, then 5 on the floor tom, then 5 on the snare, then 4 on the rack tom, and so on.

Now start on the rack tom, and play 2 16th notes, then play 2 on the next tom, 3 on the floor tom, 3 on the snare, then 2 on the rack tom, and so on.

Try the same, but while playing triplets with the hands (play a bass drum for every three hand notes).

Try both again, but in a counterclockwise direction, too. Then switch directions without stopping.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
Just another routine I use for the Up & Down back & forth motion is to use paradiddle on both ends.

Four stroke roll per drum; sn LRLL tt RLRL ft RLRR tt LRLR sn LRLL

By doing this I dont lose the flow and are easier to incorporate in fill. Paradiddle are a great way to circle around the snare & floor tom and/or snare & Hi-hat.