Exam Nerves

J

Jennygirl

Not sure if this will help but a few minutes before your exam close your eyes and visualize yourself taking the exam. "See" yourself playing well and mentally focus on the process and your playing. It may sound weird but it works for athletes before a competition.
I don't think that's a strange suggestion at all, it's a great idea, thank you. I have contemplated doing a meditation before all my practices just so I'm going into my drumming totally relaxed - hoping I can condition the relaxation response in my body/mind whenever I sit down at the kit. I could probably use visualisation as part of that.

Trying to put it into perspective too - it's just a drum exam, it's not the most important thing in the world and whatever happens, I will survive. I think I just really want to enjoy it. Nerves are so dumb - they don't make sense (only to the ego!!).

Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be leaving the vomit out of the visualisation. :)

NC68

Not sure if this will help but a few minutes before your exam close your eyes and visualize yourself taking the exam. "See" yourself playing well and mentally focus on the process and your playing. It may sound weird but it works for athletes before a competition.

Your vomit joke was funny. Best of luck to you.

J

Jennygirl

50 / 50 apple (organic) + carrot juice is my secret weapon for serious gigs.
MmmYUM! That sounds delicious, thank you. And if it doesn't kill the nerves, at least it will give me some colourful vomit. ;P

J

Jennygirl

where at? AIM? the con? regardless all the music teachers i know in sydney are really nice. i generally like coffee and lots of it.
Oooo don't think I can do the coffee - that makes me 100 times more hyper. Laced with a few valiums perhaps... ;P

Oh God no, not the Con thank goodness!! It's the CPM course through AMEB. It's held at the JMC Academy (enough acronyms there for ya?).

uniin

Gold Member
where at? AIM? the con? regardless all the music teachers i know in sydney are really nice. i generally like coffee and lots of it.

J

Jennygirl

Hi fellow drumheads,

I have an exam coming up in 6 weeks and I am pooing my pants about it, which I'm really too old to do. :)

Part of the problem is that I don't feel prepared yet. It's only a Grade 2 exam!! The other part is just the thought of sitting in front of a panel of 3 examiners, scrutinising my playing, and the fear of my nerves totally undermining me. Rationally, I know I don't need to take it all so seriously but some unconscious part of me is terrified of failure.

Have you ever had to deal with exam nerves? I know one secret power will be getting really comfortable with the material. Apart from imagining the examiners in their underpants, any other tips or inspiring tales?

Jen.