Everyone tells me NOT to buy a kit with a 24" bass drum! (24"BD owners, please comment!)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Re: Everyone tells me NOT to buy a kit with a 24" bass drum! (24"BD owners, please comment!)

Is it fair to say that a 24" drum doesn't respond well to quick double strokes, or is that not true?

For bar shows, is it harder for the sound tech to mic' a 24" kick? I've heard that some people prefer 18" bass drums because the sound that comes out of the PA ends up being bigger, simply because they're so easy to mic' and EQ. Is that myth?
Bonham was pretty quick with doubles on his big bass drums.

It's not harder for a sound tech to mic a 24" kick.

Some people prefer 18" bass drums if they are miced, because why take a big bass drum when the mics and amps can make a small bass drum sound huge.

To summarize, miced, any size bass drum will do just fine.

Unmiced, it depends on a few things like what kind of music is being played, what volume the music is being played at, how big the room is and how many people are there...to choose the proper sized bass drum.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Re: Everyone tells me NOT to buy a kit with a 24" bass drum! (24"BD owners, please comment!)

Depends on you, your taste, the music, size of your car etc....

Size won't make much difference in a truck or bandvan, though.

Otto

Platinum Member

The reason I got rid of my 24" BD was that it was in a sweet spot to compete with most Bass Guitar and low end Guitar Frequencies.

If I were to tune it higher a' la Simon Phillips I would lose the bass punch and most of the lower freq. unless I went to a bigger diameter shell than 24".

...so 22" was my choice as I can stay at a fairly 'normal' tension of the batter BD Head but still have frequencies that are a bit above the usual Bass Guitar/low Guitar string range. If I were to tune tight, I'd probably go a little bigger than 24"(from what I understand Mr. Phillips uses a higher tuned 24").

But remember, post production and pre-board/Board equalization can put your bass drum wherever you want it.

If you are looking at pure acoustic...non/miced set, I'd go with 22" or 20"...or a low tuned 18..even 16...but I really don't like the response of the beater off of those loose tuned heads...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...zombie thread...but what the hey!

Tamaefx

Silver Member

I'm still not sure about the bigger = louder thing.
Anyway, the loudest part of a drum kit is the snare, not the last floor tom. And at this little game I even find that a 14x3,5 feels louder than my 14x7. And hurts the eardrum !

Big drums cut less but have more body, I prefer a 13" toms versus a 10" not because it's louder (it's not) it has more body and sustain - more presence with longer decay.
I would definitely like to check with a sonomètre (dB measure) if a 20x16 is really less loud than a 24x14, it's about frequencies / control - not volume. I maybe wrong about that. Please correct me if necessary. Volume would be in the drummers hands and feet mostly. I don't feel less loud on a jazette kit, I just feel in a different spectrum, on the treble side, shorter note side - But I feel less loud when I use rods.

About the kit of your choice, I would love to have a 24" bass drum ; 24 13 16 are great great great sizes ; though I would definitely stay away from a 24x18" for sound control and most of all, for practicality matters : to me it would be almost impossible to haul and get in the trunk or pass through some doors ;-).
A poster above pointed the fact that the Mapex floor had only 6 lugs ; that is something to think about, it could be an issue.
18" is interesting size, though I felt it hard to use with the left hand, it was too far away, you got to get used to the hips movement to strike it in the center to get a good sound. Practicing I guess.

Last edited:

CommanderRoss

Silver Member

I rocked a kit of those sizes for a few years & what I found out is I can make it sound as loud or soft as I want.
I have a few different beaters for my 5k pedal & if I need it loud, I use wood. Soft, I use the fleece beater from Vic.

I ASSURE you that you can make it sound the way you want with just a bit of specialized equipment.

My tom sound was controlled with hydraulic heads. Quick attack & quick decay for toms that big.
I'll admit transportation & stage space was at times, an issue. Not enough to sway me off of using it though.

Go for it brother!! You'll be glad you did.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member

The OP's last post was in 2013.

RickP

Gold Member

I am a relatively recent convert to the attributes of the 24" bass drum.
I ave been a long time fan of 20" bass drums and have owned 16",18"and 22" bass drums as well. I wanted to get a larger bass drum for my Noble and Cooley Horizon kit . I had considered a 22" bass drum, but I feel the difference between a 20" and 22" is not enough to justify the purchase. I went with a 24 x 14 bass drum and I am thrilled with it. It does have a different feel than my 20" bass drum as there is more air to move and the beater sinks in a bit more on the head, but I like that.

I had owned a 24 x 18" bass drumset that was formerly owned by Bun E carlos of Cheap Trick fame and it took up too much real estate on the stage for me. I am also a fan of standard depth (i.e. 14" deep) bass drums , so ordering the 24 x 14" was a no brainer.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member

I've been rock'n a 24" kick for the last few years ad have had no problems using it on a variety of styles and gigs. There have been a few venues where it was a bit too large for the space, and for those I bring out a 22" however it had nothing to do with the style of music.
Remember Big Band and Swing acts all used 26" so don't let people tell you large drums are only for rock.
I also have an 18" Floor Tom. While I don't always use two floors, on the gigs that I do it's 16" and 18"

I say go for it. If that's what you're after don't let anyone else stop you.

WallyY

Platinum Member

I had a girlfriend who played a set of Sonor Phonics with a 24x 14" bass drum. that was one of the best sounding bass drums I've ever heard. She used a black dot and a small towel and tuned everything medium tension.

Besides, the only issue with a 24" BD is a sub-26" door jam.
Psst, turn it sideways.
Excuse me?
Turn it sideways.
What?
The bass drum, turn it sideways.
I don't understand.
It's 24" diameter but only 16" or 18" deep, turn it sideways.
Oh.....(lightbulb)

My dog can't get a three foot long stick through a door either. Funny as hell to watch though. Turn it sideways!

bud7h4

Silver Member

If the sound person can turn you up in the mix with a small kit, why can't he lower your volume with a big kit?

IBitePrettyHard

Psst, turn it sideways.
Excuse me?
Turn it sideways.
What?
I don't understand.
Oh.....(lightbulb)

My dog can't get a three foot long stick through a door either. Funny as hell to watch though. Turn it sideways!
Haha somehow I read that monologue as Ricky Gervais. Reminds me of this clip for some reason. Then I immediately laughed thinking about all the dogs I've seen trying to get through doors.

Xeno

I've always played with 2 24x18 kick drums and would never go smaller. I also have 14, 16 and 18 floor toms (14 on my left). BUT..I no longer gig so moving them around isn't an issue.

AzHeat

Platinum Member

Psst, turn it sideways.
Excuse me?
Turn it sideways.
What?
I don't understand.
Oh.....(lightbulb)

I actually found a super deal on a 24, 13, 16 mint condition PDP Platinum Series last year. I have a mid sized SUV, and always put the BD and FT in the back seat, so it leaves the cargo area open for HW bag and other gear that loves to chew up seats. No way that was going into the back seat. Just too tall. Wasn’t going to swap spots with the HW bag either, so I left it behind. It’s not always a door jam in the way. Had it fit though....

Not sure who the “everyone” are in the title of this zombie thread, but unless everyone will be playing the drums, I don’t see an issue. It’ll be an excuse for a second set. :)

I actually found a super deal on a 24, 13, 16 mint condition PDP Platinum Series last year. I have a mid sized SUV, and always put the BD and FT in the back seat, so it leaves the cargo area open for HW bag and other gear that loves to chew up seats. No way that was going into the back seat. Just too tall. Wasn’t going to swap spots with the HW bag either, so I left it behind. It’s not always a door jam in the way. Had it fit though....

Not sure who the “everyone” are in the title of this zombie thread, but unless everyone will be playing the drums, I don’t see an issue. It’ll be an excuse for a second set. :)
Nice kit and sizes! There was a Platinum 24,12,16,18 on CL for $500 in Phoenix that I seriously considered snagging. It's gone today though and I have a CX 24,12,14,16 so it was definitely not a need. I put my 24" bass drum, both Collectors and PDP, in the front seat of my Mustang no problem (F-150 is busted 😟). Had to get a bag though because the hard case wasn't making it. The hard case for my stands got nixed as well, but I get everything in 24,12,16 and 14x8 snare (the other drums fit in their hard cases) plus my rolling cart. In a 2015 Mustang!!! Imagine doing all that and then not being able to get the bass drum through the door of the venue. C'mon man, turn it sideways!

Haha somehow I read that monologue as Ricky Gervais. Reminds me of this clip for some reason. Then I immediately laughed thinking about all the dogs I've seen trying to get through doors.
Ricky Gervais is hilarious. Funny clip! Now that you mention it my post sounds a bit like Ricky doing Nietzsche talking with Hitler.

Xeno

Maybe you should consider something like this..

JonnyOzDrum

I don't own a 24" kick, but I think I can contribute.
Obviously you're going to need to consider how that size drum will fit in the spaces your playing, and how to move it around. Besides that though, I think it's a question of personal preference and practical necessity.

As far as preference, that's entirely up to you. Do you want that kind of tone, or projection? The feel of a 24" head over a smaller one? The look of massive drums on stage? It's entirely up to you!

From the practical side of things...
What type of music are you regularly playing, and are you playing out often? If so, what sized venues are your playing in? Make sure that your investment is one that suits your actual needs for what you play. It might be fun to have a 24" Kick, but if you're playing in a Latin/Fusion group, or a Reggae band, then perhaps you need something smaller and "punchier." That isn't to say that you couldn't get there with a 24" Kick, but it's easier to do with smaller sizes. Or, if you're playing in a Classic Rock band on bigger venues/stages, maybe go for a 26" instead.

Think on these things and go with what you think is best.
Have fun!

Skitch

Pioneer Member

Outside of replacement heads being readily available or not being readily available (and outside of the standards sizes, what is readily available these days?), I don't see much of a problem in using a 24" kick drum. Buddy used one, Louie Bellson used 2 I believe and many others as well. Neil Peart, et al.

I personally don't own one but I wouldn't let anything pigeonhole me. It's just like a ride cymbal; it's all in how you use it.

The only other issues, in my mind are, 1.) it IS going to sit higher than a 22", if that is what you're used to and 2.) how much extra space it takes up not only in the practice area but in the venue and in transportation.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.drumcavedave.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw