Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Not sure if it's coincidence or a sign o' the times but I did the same thing. The year I quit the band I bought a TR707, sequencer and a portastudio. I'm in the process of converting old cassettes to digital and finding stuff I'd done that I'd forgotten - it's like going through old photos.
I did that some time ago. I wince when I hear that stuff. I'm so ashamed ;)

DanJacobs

I remember we had to play this tune at DrumTech in London when i was a student there in 2001. I played it all left hand lead as it's much better for the open flow of everything.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I did that some time ago. I wince when I hear that stuff. I'm so ashamed ;)
Hehe, I'm sure what you did has more good qualities than you're letting on.

My shame comes from using electronic handclaps on a number of my tunes ... not because it added anything positive to the music (quite the opposite) but because I slavishly followed 80s fashion.

An important lesson for me ... just because something ugly is fashionable doesn't change the fact that it's ugly.

BillBachman

Gold Member
This song has one of the more wonderful drum grooves ever recorded if you ask me. Everything is like a totally normal 6/8 groove with the right hand on the hats, left hand on the snare--BUT, the hi hat pattern is playing Moeller "whip & flop sets of two with the accents on beats 2, 4, & 6. I love it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I'll email you a couple of .mp3s from that era and you can be the judge.
Good idea. Looking forward to it (I think haha). Only two days ago I was digitising an old tape and found some music I'd made that I'd forgotten about. Lots of half finished ideas ...

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Program a drum machine & go to the bar for a pint break. That's the closest you'll get to replicating the original ;)

Or, if you really must play the groove, I vote for left hand lead, leaves the right hand for some nice accents to the floor for drama, & introduces a nice offbeat to the chick due to the inevitable stronger right hand (at least, in someone of my lack of skill level).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good idea. Looking forward to it (I think haha). Only two days ago I was digitising an old tape and found some music I'd made that I'd forgotten about. Lots of half finished ideas ...
And to think I was single-minded enough that I actually completed my ideas. Shameful....