ever play four up, one or two down?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I did that when I was younger, this is around 2001.

6.5x10 & 6.5x12 Timbales tuned as Toms with 10x12 and 11x13 Toms with one 16x16 Floor.

The biggest problem I had was getting the Toms around my Hi Hat. My next kit I dropped the Timbales and added a 10x10 Tom, then I dropped the 13" and after a while the 10"

Jessiah331

Thanks Jessiah - The black/green fades are Ludwig Elements, the snare is a 6.5x14 Black Magic. Couldnt be happier soundwise.
Oo I should recognize the Black Magic from a mile away. I saw one for the first time at the Sam Ash in NYC, and still lust after a 14x6.5!

dcrigger

Yes - many times. But my rule with toms is only if I don't have to change the normal positions of my ride and hihat at all - and only move my left hand crash up a bit. Because no matter how many toms I using 2 up - 1 down or 4 up 3 down - that basic 4 or piece set-up is going to be what I'm playing 90% of the time. I just never change that basic BD, SD, HH, Ride positioning.

Here's an old clip of me playing 4 up - 2 down - with lots of six tom action!

Alegria w/Passport at Montreux '80

razorx

Platinum Member
Randy Castillo did it. I wouldn't be able to pull it off. I can barley do three up. You could always set your stuff up like Eric Singer. He has his two smaller toms off to the left.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yes - many times. But my rule with toms is only if I don't have to change the normal positions of my ride and hihat at all - and only move my left hand crash up a bit. Because no matter how many toms I using 2 up - 1 down or 4 up 3 down - that basic 4 or piece set-up is going to be what I'm playing 90% of the time. I just never change that basic BD, SD, HH, Ride positioning.

Here's an old clip of me playing 4 up - 2 down - with lots of six tom action!

Alegria w/Passport at Montreux '80
Good grief, David - I didn't know you played with Passport! I used to have Ataraxia on vinyl, which included that track (love the percussionist on that tune). The album was one of my favourite playalongs. I always felt they were one of the more tasteful fusion groups. Very European, like Jukka Tolonen's group. That was such a blast from the past - thanks for that :)

And yes, lots of six tom action. Great stuff!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Nope.

Even with my long arms, I never felt comfortable with 4 rack toms, because I can't get both my hi-hats and ride in a comfortable position.

I played 3 up one down for many years, before I realized it was easier to gig with a 5pc.

I own a monster kit with 4 rack toms, but when I set it up (purely for fun), I put the 4th rack tom on the left side as a "floor" tom.

But after playing so many gigs with a 5pc, that's all I really feel comfortable playing anymore.