Ever owned or played a "famous" drum set?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I was looking around at drum sets online (big surprise!), and I found a set that had supposedly been used on a couple of minor hits from the 1990s in addition to some movie production. I've seen plenty of kits for sale online used in certain tours or owned by certain musicians. I guess the closest thing I've ever been to anything like this is I once played a snare drum that (supposedly) was previously owned by Dennis Chambers.

Although I'm using the word "famous" pretty loosely here, does anyone have any hands-on experience with a "famous" drum set?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I've played Richard Christie's set. Metal drummers know him as the last drummer for Death. He is also the same guy from the Howard Stern show.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The closest I got to a famous drum set was in 1982 at the drum shop (barn) of the boutique drum builder Eames, in Saugus Massachusetts. (Joe Sweeny's business) They used to stamp the original buyers name into the wood on the inside of the shell.

Anyway Danny Gottlieb's set was there. I saw the name stamp.

It really didn't affect me except that OK I knew who he was. Cool.

I still have those drums. (Not Danny's set, the set I ordered) Cosmetically, they are a lot worse for the wear, (I lent them out to my buddy for a few years, who allowed them to get numerous battle scars) but they are still good sounding, well built, quality drums. Great edges. They were the answer to my 76 Ludwigs, whose bearing edges were actually hilly, really bad.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

For those interested, Bozzio's kit is among many famous kits for sale here.
Only 37K for Bozzio's? I'll take two please.

A buddy of mine had Lars' first Tama Starclassic kit (the silver/platinum sparkle one) that they used on one of their tours. His dad worked in the industry and set up the deal for the kit. Never really got to play it set up, but the kicks sounded nice.
I use to have Dean Castronova's 22" AA extra heavy ride and 22" HH china that I got from the same friend who had Lar's kit. I also have a signed 16" Zildjian thin crash that is signed by Steve Smith, that he used in a clinic back on 2000-2001.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have to wonder if anyone will actually pony up 37 big ones for a non household name drummer's set.

I think he'll get it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
They sure are proud of those sets. I can see Bozzios set being high since half of it goes to feed his ego.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I came *this* close to having Tony Williams' yellow monster in my possession for a short time. It's a long story, but it never did happen. So, the short answer is "no."

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
I've a Yamaha Live Custom kit that Dave Weckl used once for a PASIC clinic and concert. It was re-packed and sent to the dealer right afterward. I didn't buy it because Dave played it (though I like Dave's playing and have met him a couple of times), I bought it because (a) they were the drums I wanted and (b) the kit was significantly cheaper than it would have been new/unplayed.

When I got the drums, Dave's heads for the clinic and concert were still on them (he switched out the stock clear Emperors for coated Ambassadors) and the unused Emporers were included. So, I even got an extra set of heads to boot.

Last edited:

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
I came *this* close to having Tony Williams' yellow monster in my possession for a short time. It's a long story, but it never did happen. So, the short answer is "no."
Now that's a story I'd love to hear, if you don't mind Larry. Speaking of yellow drums, have you gotten your new Gretsch kit yet?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My hardware case was once owned by Tony Thompson.

His name was painted on it when I bought it (2nd hand). Though over time it's faded so much it's not readable anymore.

Once my drum rug was borrowed for a Louie Bellson clinic. Sadly, I lost the rug many years ago now.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Now that's a story I'd love to hear, if you don't mind Larry. Speaking of yellow drums, have you gotten your new Gretsch kit yet?
Sure!

First, no drums yet, but they are supposed to ship 6/27. So soon!

For the story, I'm going to withhold names. But long story short, the drums were in the possession of a musician who knew and played with Tony at one time. He loaned them to a guy who owns a small independent drum company to do some restoration. But he never got the drums back. Just a bunch of excuses for why he hadn't returned them yet. A forum member (who no longer posts here) contacted me because he heard the owner of the drum company was in my neck of the woods. He asked if I'd be willing to pick up the drums and have them shipped back to the musician who Tony left the drums to. I said, "Hell yes!"

But that never happened. I don't know for sure, but I don't think he ever got the drums back. Sad and infuriating.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Nearly had one of Jason Bonhams DWs but didn't have £900 at the time..........£900 for a DW collectors!

I own a couple of bits that belonged to famous bands. I have a 402 that belonged to the drummer of Neds Atomic Dustbin if anyone remembers those guys from the early 90s.

I have a pair of 70s 15" mongrel hats that used to belong to Mick Tucker from The Sweet.

Mustion

My first kit was apparently previously owned by the drummer for the Woody Herman Orchestra, bought by my father at a garage sale. I don't know who the drummer was exactly, but they were Remo Acousticons, one half of a double kick set for what it's worth...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Was that his personal kit, or the Pearl CZX from Death?
It was his personal kit. It was a red Pearl kit, not sure of the model. We played a show with Burning Inside, years before he was in Death. The kit was huge, and the man is amazing.

EDIT: I guess this kit isn't famous. The man has notoriety though. Close enough for me.

Last edited: