Ever have to shut down one of your arms for a while?

tmcasper

Hey all,

New to the forum here and back into drumming after a 15 year layoff. Curious to see if any of you have ever had an injury or condition which caused you to have to shut down a limb for a while.

I have developed a painful issue in my right wrist, probably either tendonitis or bursitis, something that had always been there after lifting weights but on a low level. But now that I'm back into drumming, obviously my wrist is under a whole new level of repetitive motion and I guess I practiced a little too much to start but whatever happened, it's been pretty badly aggravated and now I think I just need to shut it down for a couple weeks.

So back to the original question, if any of you ever experienced anything like this what did you do to cope? I am pretty much thinking just work on my left hand and feet, I play double bass. It's a bummer for sure as I'm so motivated right now it's killing me to not be able to play!

Interested to hear back! Thanks for reading!

rebonn

Not an arm but my right leg from heavy use on the bass. One time my knee locked up and a few other times just a cramp in the right leg. Luckily I have a double pedal and just used the left. Very frustrating.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Yes. And some advice. Drum pads and super tight heads can be murder on fingers , hands, and wrists. Try not to pound on either. Loosen your snare head for practice sake and it will help. When my joints feel less than proper I try running hot water on them for a few minutes prior to playing. I am 2 months from 70 years old.