Essential Books

thedieselman2000

What drum books do you folks feel are the essentials? I would say of the ones I have:
Stick Control
Advance Techniques for the Modern Drummer
The Double Bass Encyclopedia
New Breed
Both Joe Morello Master Studies
Realistic Rock
Syncopation.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Here are some that I use a lot in my teaching and practice.

Kim Plainfield's Advanced Concepts.

The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley

Rudimental Primer by Mitchell Peters

Jazz Drum Set Independence by Steve Fidyk

David Stanoch - Mastering the Tables of Time

Jeff

skreg

I can tell you about books I use, but I'm not sure I'd call them "essential" - just the things I have chosen to work on.

Definitely pay close attention to what Jeff says!!!

Claus Hessler and Dom Famularo "Open Handed Playing Vol. 1"
Gary Chester "The New Breed"
Thomas Lang "Creative Control and Coordination"
Peter Erskine "Drumset Essentials" (all three volumes - I use this with new students)
John Riley "The Art of Bop Drumming"
Johnny Rabb "Jungle/Drum 'n' Bass for the Acoustic Drum Set"

-sheldon

bigd

Silver Member
I don't know how you can seriously study drumset without learning to seriously play the snare drum simultaneously.

Podemski snare method
26 rudimental swing solos wilcoxin
14 contest solos Pratt
Portraits Cirone

those are just the beginning

Boomka

Platinum Member
I've gotten a lot of practice and teaching mileage out of:

Stick Control b. Stone
Syncopation b. Reed
Drum Set Warm Ups b. Morgenstein
Syncopated Rolls for The Modern Drummer b. Blackley
Master Studies b. Morello
The Essence of Jazz Drumming b. Blackley
Technique Patterns b. Chaffee
Time Functioning Patterns b. Chaffee
Mastering the Tables of Time b. Stanoch
Groove Essentials I b. Igoe
Portraits In Rhythm b. Cirone

And my pet project at the moment is going through Dicenso's Universal Rhythms. As far as I'm concerned, he hit it out of the park.

I've got tonnes of others and I've dipped in and out of all of them at various points. There are so many good books on the market - maybe too many! - I think the real trick is to pick one or two and actually go all the way through them in as much depth as you can muster.

samthebeat

Silver Member
Syncnopation,
Stick Control,

For a good foundation in reading and drum set technique. You get creative with these and its all there really en it.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I think all the books mentioned so far are essential. The most important part though, is that you know how to use them and have a healthy and musical approach to your practice.

My own method is really to take all these books and combine them into my own routine. That way I will eventually cover everything in a deep musical way that actually benefits my musicality and makes everything very useful to me.

For more information on basic training I'd add the Unreel Drum Book and the Benny Greb DVD. With a little creativity pluss all the books mentioned so far you sort of got it covered.

I would still get more material for inspiration and style specific advice, offcourse.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
For really advanced rhythmical studies: Both Gavin Harrison's books on polyrhythmic and
polymetric stuff.

Has anyone mentioned Gary Chaffee's books already?

All the John Riley books

Syncopation, Stick Control, 4-way-coordination

Stanton Moore - Groove Alchemy, Zoro's ten R'nB commandmentsand (with Daniel Glass) Rhythm and Blues book

Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe
- they're worth it even if it was just for the play-alongs

Afro Cuban Drumming by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner, and the Brazil book equivalent