Erotomania Drum Cover

sandythedrummer

Hi Guys I'm from the Philippines and here's my Erotomania drum cover from Dream Theater. I hope you guys like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRo1SweUU8&feature=plcp

Drum Gear:
Gretsch USA Custom 6-piece Maple Kit
14x6.5 Ray Ayotte Custom-made Snare
Istanbul Cymbals ( Legend, Traditional, Radiant and Samatya Models )

Recording Gear:
Shure KSM32's
Shure SM7B
CAD M179's
Shure SM57
Shure Beta 52
Neumann U87
Metric Halo ULN-8's

To know more about the studio please visit:
(http://www.facebook.com/perthman)

A

audiotech

This really belongs in the :"your place", "your playing" section of this forum.

Dennis

Arky

Platinum Member
This really belongs in the :"your place", "your playing" section of this forum.
+1

It always wonders me why people don't take _1 minute_ to quickly browse the forum setions so they would know. Even when having a mere 6 posts... Use your eyes and ears, that's what you have them for. And geez, yet another Dream Theater cover... Seems there aren't any other bands around...

sandythedrummer

+1

It always wonders me why people don't take _1 minute_ to quickly browse the forum setions so they would know. Even when having a mere 6 posts... Use your eyes and ears, that's what you have them for. And geez, yet another Dream Theater cover... Seems there aren't any other bands around...
Sorry I'm transferring it!

Arky

Platinum Member
Hey Sandy, kudos for taking my 'etiquette' critique and not reacting defensive - that wasn't to be expected!

Okay, after my standard grumbling I owe you some critique ;-)
(PS: That's the first time actually where I'm witnessing this track from the drummer's perspective. Back in the day I learned parts of this instrumental on the el. guitar but at that time completely ignored what the drums were playing. Selective listening, you know... So watching your cover displayed what is really going on drumming-wise.)

On some spots your double bass drumming isn't perfectly in time. But this is offset on other spots where there are quick breaks/fills and those are happening pretty smooth.
Your right hihat seems awkward to play as it's set up - is this really comfy for you? Also, the 3rd rack tom - I'd get that one closer to the left, to have all toms as close as possible. But this is purely preference.

Hmm, those last few 'live action' sections really spoiled my listening/watching enjoyment by 25%... I hate this clowny I'm-a-teen-but-look-how-cool-I-am crap. But that's just me. (Or maybe not only me?)
[EDIT: I'll take those 25% back, now that you've transferred the thread into the right section ;-)]

So oveall that was a pretty good drumming job. Honestly (this applies to el. guitar also) I've grown out of learning complete songs and I'm not sure I'd be willing to sit down and learn full (and complex) songs in the future. But that's also because from some time I started picking up bits and pieces from various musos and build my own style (still el. guitar talking - I've been not long enough into drums to develop any 'style' yet). So keep in mind that learning stuff is hard, but developing your own style is even harder! Stop - or cut back - doing covers and get your own ideas (with a band?) going! The sooner the better. People want to experience originalists, not copyists.

Hey, the drum sound was flawless to my ears!

(My grumbling on DT is partly because from some time they're rather repeating themselves... But "Erotomania" is from their 'good' period IMO.)

sandythedrummer

No worries Arky. I noticed that when you said that you're being a troll. About my right hihats yeah it's kinda uncomfortable to play it like that coz we lacked enough space for that. The place where I recorded it is from my friend's studio. From where I live(Manila) DT is kinda popular here compared to other bands. We envy neighboring countries where DT always had their concerts and don't bother passing through here. You guys are lucky enough to have great bands touring there. Thanks for your kind critique Arky! I'll keep everything in mind bro!