Eric Harland - Live in NYC (Video)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I love seeing ego-less musicians working their craft. Pure music. You can feel the time in the room. Masterful time control and manipulation.

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Eric is off the chart.

I saw him at our local jazz bar in Edinburgh and there was 50 people in the room.

He played amazingly and i still try some of the things he did that night.
One of those was playing a solo in 4/4 while the bass player played in 5/4 (in the same bar!)
but he just played the grooviest stuff ever!

D

ryangruss

There is another video from the same night featuring Omar Hakim, Mino Cinelu and Eric all playing together. They do some pretty amazing things in 7/8. Look for it soon!

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
not feeling that glitch shit huh?

it's an acquired taste I guess.... mostly appealing to hip hop heads
It's funny, I understand that it works from a mathematical/technical standpoint, but yeah I just can't wrap my head around it.

It's almost like programming drums and picking a 32nd note instead of the 16th you were after!

Like all things that I don't immediately get or like though, perhaps this is worth exploring before I deciede I don't like it. I hate to be dismissive to quickly of things!

WhoIsTony?

It's funny, I understand that it works from a mathematical/technical standpoint, but yeah I just can't wrap my head around it.

It's almost like programming drums and picking a 32nd note instead of the 16th you were after!

Like all things that I don't immediately get or like though, perhaps this is worth exploring before I deciede I don't like it. I hate to be dismissive to quickly of things!
don't think of it mathematically or as a subdivision..... just listen to it as music and as what these cats are trying to say

that style was born from RZA using equipment that had a glitch in the software in the early 1990s ..... the Ensoniq ASR 10 in particular

man emulating machine .... it is truly an art form

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
don't think of it mathematically or as a subdivision..... just listen to it as music and as what these cats are trying to say

that style was born from RZA using equipment that had a glitch in the software in the early 1990s ..... the Ensoniq ASR 10 in particular

man emulating machine .... it is truly an art form
Tony, I'm intrigued. I tried to search for examples on youtube, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank as I'm not sure what I'm listening out for.

Do you have any specific tracks I can hunt out to hear this glitch ensoniq in action?

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Cheers guys,

This stuff is crazy!

I can imagine some very talented drummers having some interesting conversations with engineers when recording this stuff!

Its kind of like the fills that some of the gospel players and I think I've heard John Blackwell play, where they are essentially completely out of time (unquantifiably so) but drop back in time just at the right moment. Its like an entire groove based on that concept!

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Cheers guys,

This stuff is crazy!

I can imagine some very talented drummers having some interesting conversations with engineers when recording this stuff!

Its kind of like the fills that some of the gospel players and I think I've heard John Blackwell play, where they are essentially completely out of time (unquantifiably so) but drop back in time just at the right moment. Its like an entire groove based on that concept!

Funny you shkuld say that. I had this convo when my band started recording our ep.

Its a style we are exploring and something that i really like.

Anyway the engineer was like man your notblining up to the grid....my reply was its not meant to....once he heard all the other instruments he got it.

Our guitarist is also a great editor and started chopping stuff up until he said it doesnt sound right...i was like course it doesnt thats not what i played!

Its hard to play and im no where near great at it but its a great thing to get people grooving.

D

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Also another producer I am digging ATM is Apollo brown
He's only been on the scene for a few years but has been incredibly prolific in that time.

Awesome albums are

Ugly heroes -ugly heroes
Hassan Mackey - daily bread
The left -gas mask

The lefts album contains some amazin beats.

Dave