EMO!!!!!!!!!!!

The Scorpio

Good morning brethren. I can't stand Emo rock (post punk.) If you're not sure what kind of music I'm talking about, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbo4TwjXmoE

Ok so here's the deal. I'm ok with the music. I find the drumming to be pretty cool and high-energy. But the vocal delivery and lyrics totally turn me off.

First off I think "emo" is a marketing tool used by bands and labels to sell CD's and merch to young girls. I don't mind marketing but I am against lying, and that's what I feel emo is. Most men are not extremely emotional and sensitive, and almost every single one of their songs talks about their feelings in a very sappy, non-realistic way. I want honest music with soul. I'd rather hear a song about how much someone love's cheeseburgers (assuming that they really do) than someone singing about how much they miss their ex-girlfriend and want to cry every time they think about her, when they are actually totally fine.

The honest truth is that these guys are selling false catharsis!!! I know a few emo bands personally and I can vouch for the fact that they are just like regular guys. They are not overly sensitive or in touch with their emotions any more than the rest of us are. They also openly admit to manufacturing their music for the sole intent and purpose of making a buck. I guess that's fine and that's their prerogative, but there seems to be little to no artistic integrity, and that really breaks my insensitive heart.

I know the taste is in the mouth, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar reaction, or a different reaction and why.

-Kyle

Devils Haircut

The cosmetics industry has struck a deal with the music industry (much like they did in the 80's) to get teen males to wear eye makeup, thus opening their sales to 100% of the teen market. I'm not a fan of the music, but at least this group of kids is at least listening to actual instruments in their music.

hvymtlmike

I'm ok with emotion as long as it is real and you can definately tell the difference from when an artist writes something that has had an impact within them vs someone making something up to simple make a song. I completely dislike the delivery of the lyrics also. A lot of emo tries to be whiny and it disgusts me. Their music is fake not unlike their fans from my experience. Not my enviroment period.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Hi Kyle

That's an interesting thread this, somewhat delicate, as somebody's favourite music/artists is always somebody's most awful music. I had several discussion with friends on that subject, not solely related to EMO's music, just a style or an artist that I dislike a lot.

You're right "the taste is in the mouth" but, somehow, I have difficulty to like superficial music, and the EMO style is not my cup of tea, it's a fashion statement which reminds me the "punk era" of the late 70's, I really hated that music and the statement/fashion that came with it, and the lyrics? well no comments... anarchy and all that stuff, you look at some of these artists now, they din't live the life they were preaching at the time.

I much prefer artists who write lyrics about real stuff that's happen in their life than superficial lyrics. And, the reality, the EMO's not the only one culprit in that matter.

I feel that an instrumental jazz song with an inspiring title (no vocals!) tells me more about emotions and life experience than any of these superficial artists/band that's following a fashion statement in the music industry.

Ted T

I'd rather hear a song about how much someone love's cheeseburgers (assuming that they really do) than someone singing about how much they miss their ex-girlfriend and want to cry every time they think about her, when they are actually totally fine.

-Kyle
Oh I really do. Don't forget the jalepenos, melted pepper jack, and barbecue sauce. Ohhhhhhh yeaahh...... I can smell a hit single coming. I should write it in the style of "Uneasy Rider" or "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."

CAN YOU FEEL IT??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsUW8JcnzZs (Warning: Jim Carrey)

The Scorpio

Hi Kyle

That's an interesting thread this, somewhat delicate, as somebody's favourite music/artists is always somebody's most awful music. I had several discussion with friends on that subject, not solely related to EMO's music, just a style or an artist that I dislike a lot.

You're right "the taste is in the mouth" but, somehow, I have difficulty to like superficial music, and the EMO style is not my cup of tea, it's a fashion statement which reminds me the "punk era" of the late 70's, I really hated that music and the statement/fashion that came with it, and the lyrics? well no comments... anarchy and all that stuff, you look at some of these artists now, they din't live the life they were preaching at the time.

I much prefer artists who write lyrics about real stuff that's happen in their life than superficial lyrics. And, the reality, the EMO's not the only one culprit in that matter.

I feel that an instrumental jazz song with an inspiring title (no vocals!) tells me more about emotions and life experience than any of these superficial artists/band that's following a fashion statement in the music industry.
Double bonus points on the jazz song with an inspiring title. I feel exactly the same way.

I think I'd also make a correlation between emo and 80's rock. (Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Poison) Because 80's rock seemed to be more about image than the music.

There that should get some more people involved ;)

-Kyle

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
Good morning brethren. I can't stand Emo rock (post punk.) If you're not sure what kind of music I'm talking about, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbo4TwjXmoE

Ok so here's the deal. I'm ok with the music. I find the drumming to be pretty cool and high-energy. But the vocal delivery and lyrics totally turn me off.

First off I think "emo" is a marketing tool used by bands and labels to sell CD's and merch to young girls. I don't mind marketing but I am against lying, and that's what I feel emo is. Most men are not extremely emotional and sensitive, and almost every single one of their songs talks about their feelings in a very sappy, non-realistic way. I want honest music with soul. I'd rather hear a song about how much someone love's cheeseburgers (assuming that they really do) than someone singing about how much they miss their ex-girlfriend and want to cry every time they think about her, when they are actually totally fine.

The honest truth is that these guys are selling false catharsis!!! I know a few emo bands personally and I can vouch for the fact that they are just like regular guys. They are not overly sensitive or in touch with their emotions any more than the rest of us are. They also openly admit to manufacturing their music for the sole intent and purpose of making a buck. I guess that's fine and that's their prerogative, but there seems to be little to no artistic integrity, and that really breaks my insensitive heart.

I know the taste is in the mouth, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar reaction, or a different reaction and why.

-Kyle
I always wonder why guys from Podunk, Ohio sing like British punk singers from the 70's...::cough:: Green Day ::cough::

(Disclaimer, I've always kind of like Green Day but that fake British accent he sings with drives me nuts.)

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I always wonder why guys from Podunk, Ohio sing like British punk singers from the 70's...::cough:: Green Day ::cough::

(Disclaimer, I've always kind of like Green Day but that fake British accent he sings with drives me nuts.)
Not to pick on any one style of music, though...there are a lot of country singers who affect a twangier singing voice than their normal speaking voice.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Not to pick on any one style of music, though...there are a lot of country singers who affect a twangier singing voice than their normal speaking voice.
Hah! I have an "old-timey" voice that I use for a couple of songs. I made a joke about it when we played at a street fair a few weeks back. "OK folks, let me put on my "old timey" voice for this next song!"

I caught the singer of my other band putting on a faux-brit accent for a cover, I think it was a Kinks tune. As soon as I pointed it out he got embarrassed and said he'd try to avoid doing it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSsh7Ocv8o
This is the real emo. Like, the emo that started it.
The 90's emo was much more enjoyable and had more groove.

Today's "emo" I wouldn't call very emo. It's happy songs with key changes in the Drop D guitars and constant double bass breakdown stuff. And it attracts scene kids and little girls so yeah... It's more about marketing, less about music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6XK7G__iSM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZCrPybKww

Music changes alot, but older emo is much better. And more musical.

Music has died these days, that's what we all need to deal with :(

adam!

I'm with you Scorpio... I can't stand it either. Even the chord progressions sound "angsty". I don't relate to this music at all, and if I'm exposed to it, I feel like I'm developing cross-gender parts....
If I listen to heavy music, it has to be either A) aggressive or B) intelligent.

The Scorpio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSsh7Ocv8o
This is the real emo. Like, the emo that started it.
The 90's emo was much more enjoyable and had more groove.

Today's "emo" I wouldn't call very emo. It's happy songs with key changes in the Drop D guitars and constant double bass breakdown stuff. And it attracts scene kids and little girls so yeah... It's more about marketing, less about music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6XK7G__iSM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZCrPybKww

Music changes alot, but older emo is much better. And more musical.

Music has died these days, that's what we all need to deal with :(
I completely agree with you Chris. I have no earthy idea how something that had so much potential turned into the humongous pile of crap that it is lol!!!

-Kyle

D

drumfreak1987

I don't know if it's officially true emo or not, but the older Jimmy Eat World stuff is great - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0i_hXUCFnM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9wZyWErz4
nah man, i'd always considered jimmy eat world in that foo fighters kinda radio rock

love the thread Scorpio. FALSE CATHARSIS!!! you nailed it!!

HATE emo music and the subculture. the whole premise is these idiots thinking they're original and individualistic, just like the other kids who can afford/choose to dress, talk, and act like them. they have these criteria online (no joke) that explain how to be emo, and you have to meet these pre-stablished guidelines before you can be given the approval as genuine or deep (cause being yourself only counts if you fit into a click-lol).you hear these emo guys say "ya know, it's like our music is emotional, that's why it's called emo, cuz you know we express ourselves (i guess they never heard of soul, r&b, jazz, gospel, blues....all music is emotional, retards), nobody knows what it's like to go to the wealthiest schools, to be in the upper echelons of socioeconomic status and show not a stitch of gratitude, spend hundreds of dollars a week at hot topic when my parents expect me to drive there in one of the four cars they have, when i want my own....they have no idea the hell they put me through."

Last edited:

The Scorpio

nah man, i'd always considered jimmy eat world in that foo fighters kinda radio rock

HATE emo music and the subculture. the whole premise is these idiots thinking they're original and individualistic, just like the other kids who can afford to dress, talk, and act like them. they have these criteria online (no joke) that explain how to be emo, and you have to meet these pre-stablished guidelines before you can be given the approval as genuine or deep (cause being yourself only counts if you fit into a click-lol).you hear these emo guys say "ya know, it's like our music is emotional, that's why it's called emo, cuz you know we express ourselves (i guess they never heard of soul, r&b, jazz, gospel, blues....all music is emotional, retards), nobody knows what it's like to go to the wealthiest schools, to be in the upper echelons of socioeconomic status and show not a stitch of gratitude, spend hundreds of dollars a week at hot topic when my parents expect me to drive there in one of the four cars they have, when i want my own....they have no idea the hell they put me through."
No, sir you nailed it lol!! I took a friend (girl) to go see an emo show Monday night, and the whole thing really shocked me. I used to think I didn't like the music because it just wasn't my "style." But with the help of Introductory Sociology, I came to the conclusion in my original post lol.

On the upside though, no music that vapid has ever had more than fifteen years of widespread popularity, so the popularity of "Emo" will most likely decline relatively soon. Or at least I hope so lol.

-Kyle

moontheloon

Silver Member

HATE emo music and the subculture. the whole premise is these idiots thinking they're original and individualistic, just like the other kids who can afford/choose to dress, talk, and act like them. they have these criteria online (no joke) that explain how to be emo, and you have to meet these pre-stablished guidelines before you can be given the approval as genuine or deep (cause being yourself only counts if you fit into a click-lol).you hear these emo guys say "ya know, it's like our music is emotional, that's why it's called emo, cuz you know we express ourselves (i guess they never heard of soul, r&b, jazz, gospel, blues....all music is emotional, retards), nobody knows what it's like to go to the wealthiest schools, to be in the upper echelons of socioeconomic status and show not a stitch of gratitude, spend hundreds of dollars a week at hot topic when my parents expect me to drive there in one of the four cars they have, when i want my own....they have no idea the hell they put me through."
did you just put Jimmy Eat World in the same sentence with Foo Fighters?

and "radio rock"

oh my goodness

and this is an extremely shallow post

I am no "Emo" fan....or whatever you want to call these bands....even though you claiming all these little sub genres makes you as corny as they are......but to lump every band that sounds like this into some rich suburbanite prep school corner is just ridiculous juvenile and frankly stupid

oh the envy I sense is overwhelming

go do something interesting so you dont have to hate on others for making a living

and while yr at it

grow up

Devils Haircut

did you just put Jimmy Eat World in the same sentence with Foo Fighters?

and "radio rock"

oh my goodness

and this is an extremely shallow post

I am no "Emo" fan....or whatever you want to call these bands....even though you claiming all these little sub genres makes you as corny as they are......but to lump every band that sounds like this into some rich suburbanite prep school corner is just ridiculous juvenile and frankly stupid

oh the envy I sense is overwhelming

go do something interesting so you dont have to hate on others for making a living

and while yr at it

grow up
Lighten up. Your meaness is making me feel very emo, hahaha.